Did you cycle to work today?

Home Forum Bike Forum Did you cycle to work today?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Did you cycle to work today?
  • Premier Icon peteimpreza
    Subscriber

Yes I did , saw 4 other people en route.

Bike shed at work is two thirds empty.

fifeandy

Didn’t even know it was cycle to work day.
    If I had, i’d have taken one look at the rain and taken the car anyway.

mulacs

yarp. Saw one other, regular cyclist. The wind doesn’t make for a good intro to cycling to work!

milky1980

Not working today, seems to be the same on every CTW day for some reason. Seeing as I ride in every working day the rest of the year I’ll forgive myself.

Mister P

I only found out this morning as a friend had shared something on facebook.

thomthumb

yes. got beasted over the brisge by another cyclist – normally my excuse is but i’m on fixed. but so was he. 😳

barely saw anyone else out though. Looking forward to my tailwind home.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

Not working today, seems to be the same on every CTW day for some reason.

Same – I usually work from home on a Tuesday but it’s Wednesday this week, and it was the last time it was CTW day…

Looking forward to my tailwind home.

You shouldn’t have said that, now the weather gods will flip it rounds about 3 in the afternoon…

Trimix

Nope, the A34 would have been suicidal.

Sadly the traffic on weekday mornings puts me off every day.

wildc4rd

I did, though it had nothing to do with it being cycle to work day, I cycle in 2 or 3 days a week anyway.

Premier Icon JAG
    Subscriber

Yes I did.

Managed to avoid the rain showers, the wind had dropped when I left home (06:30) and I had a lovely ride into work.

Feeling smug πŸ˜›

PS; also not unusual for me to cycle to work but I made a special effort today 8)

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

I’m working 171 miles from home today. I decided against it.

falkirk-mark

I did but its only a bit wet up here (central Scotland). And its only 5 flat miles I didn’t know it was cycle to work day

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

No, shoes still soaked form yesterdays commute home, and I have a course tomorrow, so needed the van to take my PPE home for said course (Fire fighting at airport, should be good!)

scruff

I rode in as normal, new tyres and wheels as well. Didn’t know it was a special day apart from that. Saw no other cyclists but did have to move two trees and carry bike over another.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Yep, same as every day. The bike shed at work had all the same bikes as usual in there and I didn’t notice any extra bikes on the way in.

This despite being a Cycle Demonstration Town (twice), but they spent all the cash on leaflets and maps and signs and jute bags and water bottles and surveys and naff all on hard, segregated, high quality infrastructure.

nbt

Nope, looked at the weather and the forecast and decided to drive so I can do some other jobs. Rode yesterday though, and hope to ride thursday and friday

Trimix

So basically the Cycle to work day made no real difference to behaviour.

Roads are shite, no where to store your bike and traffic too dangerous.

edlong

Yes, for a change – although I cycle to work most days, every year it has seemed that CTW day has been one of the few “car” days or WFH – but this year I’m on the bike, yay for me!

I had no idea it was CTW day until I opened this thread though.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Yes. Straight into the back of Aileen, which made it hard, and on my FS MTB, which made it harder. Due to unusual logistics yesterday, I have two bikes in the shed, so get to choose which to ride home on.

Spotted a couple of people I’ve not seen riding before, but overall far fewer than usual. I notice Strava haven’t supported it with a challenge this year.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

Yes, but didn’t know it was NC2WD either. If it was still raining hard I’d have jumped in the van.

On a related note, I used to have a colleague who cycled to work once… on census day πŸ˜€ πŸ™„

JackHammer

I did. I do every day, more or less. The rain thrashing against the roof of work is making me think that might have been a bad idea though.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Seems so this year, probably due to the weather.

I think a cyclists drive to work day would be more effective. If all cyclist made a special effort to go in their cars one day, (and this was well publicised) it’d be gridlock on the roads. Committed drivers would see the benefit of cyclists reducing traffic volumes on a normal day and perhaps start giving us a bit more respect. (well, I can dream on that last bit).

submarined

Yup. Wasn’t going to as got a MTB ride this evening. Seemed the same split as normal with commuters, but I was pretty early.
    Bike stores at work are looking normally populated.
    Shoes still drenched from Mondays ride home so had to wear Sealskinz despite lack of rain πŸ˜€

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

Yep, just like every other day (unless it’s hammering down) but then it is only a 5 minute ride. πŸ˜€

No, I couldn’t be faffed…

As I’m not expected at work today. πŸ˜‰

But it might be national goats attack the South Downs cat4s a bit later. 😈

lpayne89

I did as always, didn’t notice an increase in cyclist compared to every other day though. Plenty of fallen trees along the taff trail (Cardiff)to keep me on my toes, was nice to see cyclists helping each other over/around them.

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

Cycled to work as per normal. Forgot it was cycle to work day. Didn’t think there were anymore cyclists than normal.

I did have a rare (short) conversation with another cyclist at the lights though, who asked me about the mount for my Exposure Strada (bar extender to position the light smack in the middle of the bars)

Premier Icon a11y
    Subscriber

Yep, as per normal. Rarely see other cyclists on my route but saw 2 others this morning, neither of whom looked prepared for the wet/cold: 9degC, windy and pishing down this morning so I’m impressed with any non-regular cycle commuters venturing out into that.

Seemed to coincide with National Drive Like a **** Day unfortunately πŸ˜€

Premier Icon Alphabet
    Subscriber

No bicycles on the M6 this morning.

TiRed

Drove in. With race bike. Going to a race this evening and conserving energy! I ride in most days.

Mister P

It’s Cycle To Work Day so I rode in, the same as I do every Wednesday morning. I saw virtually no-one else on a bike, but it was pretty blustery out.

Goddamit, I’d made a pledge to ride in today as well on the cycle to work day webpage (our company none-to-subtly pointed out that everyone who has purchased a bike on BTW had an obligation to ride in!), totally forgot till I saw this thread…

Normally would have ridden in too, typically ride Tues/Wed/Thurs, but nursing a niggling SI joint so thought I’d take a sneaky day off 😳

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

Yep, same as every day. The bike shed at work had all the same bikes as usual in there and I didn’t notice any extra bikes on the way in.

+1

doris5000

Yep, same as I do every day. Didn’t know it was C2W day either. Breezy but sunny in Bristol, though rain was forecast.

I’d say there were marginally less cyclists out than normal today, although it could be that it’s just the normal September tailoff as more people sack it off due to weather/school run commitments etc

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

Well, I signed up on their website for the free draws – does that count?

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

cycled in as normal, had a quick rip on our towns new pumptrack at 6.30am

Dickyboy

Went for a blustery tandem ride in the wind and rain last night instead.

Gary_M

Yes, as per usual. Bike shed was definitely quieter today than usual, last nights rain must have put people off – it was bouncing on the way home and my hands were freezing.

Had a dry ride in, I’m not expecting the return journey to be the same.

shoes still soaked form yesterdays commute home

You need one of those Clas Ohlson she driers, I stuck my shoes on it last night and they were bone dry this morning.

longmover

I could hear the wind and the rain battering on the window which filled me with dread, then the wife said I could have the car. Winner, set the alarm for another 45 minutes in bed.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Nope, every other day this week, but Wednesday is my change of clothes-pick up son after work day, so usually drive on a Weds.
    Could’ve changed my routine to fit in with cycle to work day, but nah…
    Don’t really see the point of cycle to work day – people who cycle to work will anyway, and people who don’t, won’t!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.