Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Did Merc employ an old Vauxhall designer?
  • igm

The A series looks like an Astra from 5 years ago and I was passed by a Vectra SUV-Lite with Merc badges, so are they channelling Vauxhall or did they employ someone?

Cougar

TTIUWP.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The A class was slated when it first came out for being really poor quality

That aside I bought my first Merc (2nd hand) last year, and it will be the last I own. It rattles, stuff is in the wrong place, the engine isn’t the best, the ride can be unbelievably bad. This is in a car that cost over £60k new!

prettygreenparrot

That is more or less what I thought when I drove a new A-class back in ?2013?

The previous one (boxy, raised floor pan) was not pretty, but was immensely practical in its LWB format. Great for kids, great for bikes.

The new one was the opposite. Got one as it was nippier, newer, and quieter. But the view out of those tiny slit windows? The tiny tiny narrow boot? The absence of legroom in the back for anyone not kiddy-sized? The ‘reliability’! A disappointing car in many ways. That and the maintenance costs of either of the MBs we had at the time plus MB’s inability to pony up a decent EV closed the door for me on their overpriced mediocre cars.

rickmeister

Gottlieb Daimler’s motto Das Beste oder nichts, translated from his native German to English, ends up meaning, “The best or nothing at all”.

After our Smart Fortwo cylinders went oval at 40k miles (they all do that, sir)… we’re driving another brand.

Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150

Singletrack Reader Awards - Most De...
    Singletrack Video Archive: Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150
    Kryton57

This is interesting, I’ve been ignoring my 13yo who tells me “it’s plastic and it rattles” as we’ve been eyeing up a GLC. Maybe YouTube is right? I think the MY2017-2022 look classier inside than BMW for example and that – and talk of a smooth ride – attracts me to them.

stumpyjon

Worst car I’ve ever had (inherited company car), just hated it from the moment I got in it, unintuitive and very old fashioned. Would never willing have one. That said had an Audi A5 by choice, nice enough car, bit basic inside given its spec level, it was a S Line, build quality was terrible. Had a rattle from day 1 in the passenger door, they failed to install the courtesy line I the glove box, just left a hole, parking sensors failed at 3 years, wiring loom had rubbed and worn through and the paint chipped at the slightest touch. So it’s not just Mercs.

misteralz
    Free Member

You seen the weird new ESQ or whatever it’s called? Looks like what you’d get if you ordered an S-class off wish.com.

mert
    Free Member

TBH, it seems to be the fashion at a certain level of upper management, recruit people from competitors *without working out why they left in such a hurry*.

It’s usually because they shouldn’t be in the industry.

igm

@Cougar

TTIUWP

This being STW, I can’t do pictures.

roger_mellie

roger_mellie

roger_mellie

^ A 2017 Astra, followed by today’s A Class.

prettygreenparrot

I’d have gone with ‘looks like a
    Corsa’. The Astra looks a bit sleeker. https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/cars/corsa/overview.html

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.