Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 167 total)
  • Did it really happen
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What nealglover said above about his German friend…

I have a bessie mate who lives in Germany, married to a German girl, with whom I get to spend a bit of time, including a couple of weeks last year. I love visiting Germany. It’s a lovely country with some amazing scenery and a great bar/cafe culture, especially in some of the towns and smaller cities that weren’t bombed to oblivion. In some ways I’m glad that they’ve almost given up on trying to get Brits to visit on holidays. I’m looking forward to a week on a farm in the Black Forest in June.

Younger Germans can talk quite openly about the war and they don’t suffer with the massive guilty conscience that afflicts some of their parents. There is a sensitivity about extreme nationalism there that we can’t understand. AFAIK, there is some rule whereby members of certain far right parties have to register themselves with the authorities (I need to look this up to be sure of it though, I’m only going on what my mate told me). As weird as this would be for us here, you can understand why Germans over compensate in their desire to ensure no single movement could gain the kind of momentum that the NAZI party gained in the thirties. Any German I met of our generation would have facepalmed at the thought of someone denying that there had been a holocaust.

rickmeister

Mrs Rickmeister is German and the Holocaust Denial Law does exist, but, its not just Germany it wourld seem. But its understandable that Germany gets tagged with it more readily. A UK Bishop was tried a few years ago for denying it…

A survey of the sixteen countries that have enacted laws
    that either directly criminalize Holocaust denial or can be used
    to prosecute individuals who deny the Holocaust: Austria,
    Belgium, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Israel,
    Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Romania
    Slovakia, and Switzerland

Presently, sixteen countries have enacted laws that either
    directly criminalize Holocaust denial or can be used to
    prosecute individuals who deny the Holocaust. Austria,
    Belgium, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary,
    Israel, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland,
    Portugal, Romania, Slovakia1, and Switzerland have
    instituted such laws.2

In addition, the courts in The Netherlands often consider
    Holocaust denial a form of spreading hatred, which is a
    punishable offense.3

Taken from This

Junkyard
    Free Member

the truth is always in the middle of the extreme opposites in any debate.

No its not – what kind of law is this 🙄
    What happens if I claim 2 billion died do we up the estimate ?
    Daft thing to say but hey it gets a reaction

glupton1976
    Free Member

Whatever. 🙄

tinybits
    Free Member

Come on, I’m quoting the figure that ‘everyone’ knows, the one we were all taught at school. There’s literally thousands of sources, but not a single one will be unbiased. As they were written by humans.
    I assume as you’re saying it’s somewhere in the middle of 0 – 5,000,000 (which is a LOW estimate as it’s purely the Jewish dead, not balance of the non Jewish) in which case you’re spouting something called “bollocks” and just want an argument.
    Please feel free to report me again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

awesomely well argued retort
    I think you just convinced the cynics there about Gluptons law

glupton1976
    Free Member

See above. 🙄

RustySpanner

the truth is always in the middle of the extreme opposites in any debate.

He’s right.
    We got halfway to the Moon and turned back.

banks
    Free Member

Look into what happened in Rawanda too. Its amazing.

Absolute batshit mental genocide. Something like 4.4 the killing rate of Auschwitz at its most ‘productive’ with over 80% of the killing done by hand, by people/kids under 21. All in 4weeks too and it was only a few years ago.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Good point Rusty
    No go on glupton explain how this law works in relation to the moon claim then if you prefer

Its utter bobbins hence you are reduced to just eye rolling, somewhat pathetically.

TooTall
    Free Member

There’s literally thousands of sources, but not a single one will be unbiased. As they were written by humans.

What?? What???

Is everyone out to get you too? I don’t think it is a full moon.

sbob
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

What happens if I claim 2 billion died do we up the estimate ?

No, because we’re using the modal average. 🙂

Is this something we really need to argue about?
    Millions of people were killed, and in a way it’s sweet and positive that the OP has trouble getting his head around it.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Man visiting the moon isnt a debate.

bencooper
    Free Member

Man visiting the moon isnt a debate.

Neither is the scale of the Holocaust.

tinybits
    Free Member

Tootall, no, not delusional paranoia. Just saying that any source could be argued to be biased if you we’re an utter numpty and just wanted an argument. Nothing sinister.
    Personally I believe it happen, that it was well over 6million people and I can’t get begin to get my head around why on any level from nazi party politics to the man pulling the trigger.

glupton1976
    Free Member

That’s debatable.

Why are there no definite figures if the scale of the Holocaust is certain?

easygirl

It’s great to read the accounts of people who have been brought up in Germany, I’m heartened to see that they are teaching children the real version of their country’s history.
    I heard a comment last week that German is not a nationality, its an accusation
    Made me smile, but sounds like it is very unfair to the current population

KennySenior
    Free Member

Come on now, at least chumpton’s contribution to this thread is different to his usual comment of

‘There are some idiots on this thread’

or a slight variation thereof, followed up with nothing else.

project
    Free Member

Ive been to the Holocaust Museum in Jerusalem.fantastic building built as a triangular concrete toblerone through a large hill, balanced on the top.

You walk in past armed guards with machine guns,go through metal detectors,and youre in a bright well presented place,you slowly wander round, looking at the exhibits, all of a sudden your eyes water as you read something, or see a picture, you feel ashamed to cry and look round, and see others crying some quite loudly, people being led out, then you muster your manliness and continue walking.
    Then youre outside, and it all becomes so real,so horrible, and so well documented, you just hope it can never happen again.

BUT IT DOES, AND FEW DO ANYTHING TO STOP THE NEEDLESS KILLINGS FOR THE SAKE OF RELIGION, OR COLOUR, OR JUST BECAUSE THEY DONT LIKE THEIR NEIGHBOURS IN ANOTHER COUNTRY.

tinybits
    Free Member

“Why are there no definitive figures?”

I assume, even if you don’t believe it happened, that you understand that if there was a holocaust, that the perpetrators wouldn’t actually be that keen to say exactly what happened when it became clear that they were loosing the war and the allied forces would see the camps and could actually have destroyed some records?

grum
    Free Member

That’s debatable.
    Why are there no definite figures if the scale of the Holocaust is certain?

Oh dear.

glupton1976
    Free Member

The lack of reading ability of some of the people on this forum is staggering at times.

Junkyard
    Free Member

is it more or less staggering than your inability to explain your law?

You want a reaction ,you get one then you get upset.

I really dont understand what you “get” from the internet tbh but everyone should have a hobby.

mulv1976
    Free Member

The lack of reading ability of some of the people on this forum is staggering at times.

I ceased to be staggered by it a long time ago. I’m surprised you are tbh

tinybits
    Free Member

Ok, the blokes a dick. There’s no other explanation. In the interests of not ranting at a screen all evening, I’m going to do my best to never respond to him again.

*wanders off to start a driving thread….*

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*wanders off to start a driving thread….*

Top Gear – Did it really happen? DID IT? WHERE’S YOUR EVIDENCE? EH? WHERE IS IT?

mulv1976
    Free Member

The guy wasn’t saying that it didn’t happen just that there isn’t any definite figures. But is there ever for these atrocities.

IMO millions were needlessly slaughtered, a horrendous tragedy that should never be forgotten. People are entitled to their opinion. Exact figures aren’t going to change this.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m going to do my best to never respond to him again.

AFAIR, the modz did something to help with this.
    Quite a few times.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Odd, that my younger son is a Sachsenhausen today with his school. I hope that he comes back properly informed. He will hopefully understand the scale of atrocities carried out against many there including Jews, Soviets, communists, And Homosexuals etc

rickmeister

CFH, we probably haven’t learnt from the past but I do believe I can predict the future:
    8pm BBC2. Tonight.

molgrips
    Free Member

They started off just being arseholes, they built up to systematic genocide over several years. That’s how it happened.

CountZero

It’s not just the Nazis and their policies regarding the extermination of those considered undesirable, Stalin and Mao top them by some considerable margin. Although glupton may like to argue the toss over these figures as well, seeing as how he’s set himself up as the forum expert on these matters; http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles5/RummelDemocide.php

Death by Government: Stalin Beat Hitler but Mao Surpassed Both

R.J. Rummel