Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 193 total)
  • Diane Abbott's LBC interview.
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

I like Corbyn but he went down a bit in my estimation after Abbott’s interview when he said he wasn’t embarrassed by it. He could have acknowledged it was obviously a poor showing but it didn’t reflect the true blah blah blah, but just insisting it was fine was just more politician BS while flying in the face of the evidence.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

She’s not only a Tory dream, she’s a racist’s dream as well.

just5minutes
    Free Member

Especially as on the other side, you’ve got May passing a bill allowing her husband to buy up child welfare services at an even greater rate.

Happy to stand corrected but how so? Her husband doesn’t seem to own or control (as a director) any companies – so what is he buying and how?

His job appears to be a relationship manager in the pensions division of an investment company. If he had any material / pecuniary interest in the investments that would have to be declared on Theresa May’s entry on the register of interests (as all ministers have to list the full interests above £1.5K (I think – tbc) as well as directorships, dividends etc etc of all partners and close family members).

So where is the information on him buying, owning or selling companies?
    https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmregmem/170502/may_theresa.htm

AlexSimon

Sorry, I thought he was a G4S shareholder.
    It seems it’s an internet myth unfortunately repeated so many times that it’s hard to google for it.
    Apologies.

DrJ

You say that her comment regarding mothers applies to all mothers but by using the idea of the exception proving the rule, by saying that WI mothers would go to the wall for their children, she is suggesting that other mothers wouldn’t.

Not really. Suppose someone said “Jewish parents make great sacrifices for their kids”. or “Vietnamese parents make sure their kids get the best start they can – would they face this criticism? I don’t think so. I wonder why not?

If someone had been criticising her and said, “well, white mothers go to the wall for their children.”, do you think she wouldn’t have leveraged this in every way possible.

No idea – my crystal ball for predicting what will happen in made-up scenarios is less powerful than yours.

DrJ

She publically called for expenses enquiries for Tory MPs but she spent nearly £150,000 on expenses in 2009 including £1,200 on taxis!

You are going to a lot of trouble to make stuff look bad about DA. Why?

http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/politics/hackney-mps-1-2million-expense-bill-what-do-they-spend-and-why-1-4283339

* Both MPs ranked mid-table for total claims compared to London’s 72 MPs. Meg Hillier was 31st and Diane Abbott, 44th.

* Combined spending by both MPs has risen by 22 per cent since 2011, this outstripped the London average of 18 per cent.

* Both MPs spent considerably less than the London average on office costs as neither has a constituency office.

* Ms Abbott’s travel costs were low as she uses her Freedom Pass to travel around the borough.

Our investigation found no evidence among local MPs of the sorts of claims that caused the expenses scandal in 2009.

In fact both have a good record of transparency, with expenses fully logged and simple for the casual observer to understand.

Busy caseloads

Trends in our data, compiled using tens of thousands of records from the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA), revealed Hackney’s MPs spent slightly above average on staffing and payroll costs, which was by far the largest chunk of expenses claimed by all London MPs.

Ms Hillier claimed £567,961, nine per cent above average for a London MP, and Ms Abbott £524,916, one per cent above. Both said this was due to busy caseloads in their inner London constituencies.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I think that with regard to “Jewish mothers..” in the same context, they would have rightfully been called to account for it. Not by the ever anti-semitic Labour leadership of course but by others. She used the phrase when asked why she was sending her children to an independent school having been such an outspoken critic of a two-tiered system. Her defence was that she was WestIndian and that WI mothers do everything they can for their children. A very racist statement. Surely you aren’t denying that.

I spent 30 seconds on google as opposed to “a lot of effort” making Abbot look bad. It doesn’t take effort to make her look bad. She does it herself. She, along with Corbyn and a couple of others, are a Con leader’s wet dream. Just give her enough rope (or let her speak in public) and she’ll win the election for the Tories.

Is it safe to assume that as you picked 50% of my quotes to refute, the other half were irrefutable so you let them stand.

What do you think about her “white people love…” comment? Simply exasperation and not real racism?

anagallis_arvensis

She now wants to take the opportunity of Grammar schools away
    yet they are shown again and again to reduce opportunities for poorer kids comapred to richer ones
    yeah shes a hipocrite for sending her own kid private, would we all do the same?

I would send my son to a Grammar or private school if I could. It doesnt make me a hypocrite. It means the best thing for my son, given the current system may not be the best thing for the country. You can work within the current system whilst still wishing it was different..dont see how this is hard to understand tbh.

Grammars are a not a solution to the problem Tories are putting forward as the reason for expanding them but then I expect they and most of their electorate know this.
    Abbot is an idiot though.

AlexSimon

I don’t think she’s an idiot – I just don’t think she’s great at thinking on her feet.
    I’ve enjoyed the few articles I’ve read of hers in the Guardian.

I might try and read some more. Full list here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/profile/dianeabbott

DrJ

Is it safe to assume that as you picked 50% of my quotes to refute, the other half were irrefutable so you let them stand.

That assumption is as erroneous as the rest of your diatribe.

If you had spent a bit more than 30 seconds googling you’d have found that your accusation about expenses is completely misguided. What do you imagine is implied by saying that “Jewish mothers want the best for their kids”? – it’s not remotely anti-Semitic – quite the opposite.

She is a bigot, racist, hypocrite and embarrassment to public servants.

Not really, but you are becoming an embarrassment to yourself on this topic.

kimbers

WI mothers would go to the wall for their children, she is suggesting that other mothers wouldn’t.

Bobbins, she’s using her ethnicity as an excuse, which is weak and a shitty thing to do, but it’s not racist

Piccaninies and Watermelon smiles, now thats proper racist….

Loving Jambafact #728 ‘can’t find any proof DA said racist stuff, so she must’ve had it deleted by google’ 🙄

ransos
    Free Member

Um, yes they did. Multiple newspapers and media outlets reported the control freakery of May’s Cornwall visit, and the MP’s daft comments were on a TV news programme.

Abbot’s interview was a newsworthy car crash, I’m sure we all agree. But does it really deserve so much more prominence than the incumbent Prime Minister’s extraordinary efforts to entirely exclude the public and the press from her campaign?

jambalaya
    Free Member

husband to buy up child welfare service

May’s husband is in fund sales, he doesn’t buy-up anything.

I don’t think she’s an idiot – I just don’t think she’s great at thinking on her feet.

Having an answer to a basic and pedictable question given it was the subject of the interview isn’t thinking on your feet.
    Maybe she didn’t write them ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But does it really deserve so much more prominence than the incumbent Prime Minister’s extraordinary efforts to entirely exclude the public and the press from her campaign?

We both know the answer to that one I suspect. 🙂 Can you imagine if Corbyn was running a campaign in this fashion? It’s laughable (well, if not at such a serious time for the country, it would). Speaking of which, did you catch any of the footage of May being booed out of Bris yesterday evening>? 😆

dannyh
    Free Member

For a bit of balance, if not strictly speaking a car crash interview:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GzBq0n8dxFQ[/video]

All he had to do was stand in respectful silence.

DrJ

Sorry, I thought he was a G4S shareholder.
    It seems it’s an internet myth unfortunately repeated so many times that it’s hard to google for it.
    Apologies.

Respect to you for this.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve previously fallen for that one too. It seemed so believable. Classic example of confirmation bias.

AlexSimon

grum – Member

I’ve previously fallen for that one too. It seemed so believable. Classic example of confirmation bias. Yes, and that level of lie-spreading isn’t even needed with so much else going on.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Can we be sure she writes them all by herself?

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Can we be sure she writes them all by herself?”

Do we have any evidence she didn’t? She went to Cambridge, she was reasonably articulate on This Week. It seems perfectly credible that she could write a Guardian article or two.

She’s deffo not capable of a Shadow role as evidenced by Milliband’s lightening quick sacking of her, but she was a reasonable commentator.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have no evidence you wrote that yourself so i am going to assume someone else did . Like you I dont feel any need to offer evidence to support this claim

ctk
    Free Member

Why the **** do people think Diane Abbott can’t write an article by herself?

FFS she read History at Cambridge under Simon Schama.

She might on occasion be shit at interviews and stick her foot in her mouth but I think we can all give her the benfit of the doubt on being able to write an article.

jambalaya
    Free Member

FFS she read History at Cambridge under Simon Schama.

She obviously didn’t read any briefing notes prior to the interview, one imagines she prepared for her exams rather better.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

under Simon Schama.

She gets about, doesn’t she? 😆

I always thought he was on the other bus but apparently not. One of the campest straight men out there IMO.

ulysse
    Free Member

But come on, would you, though?
    I know I would :mrgreen:

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Emily Thornberry for me. In the back of a white van, obviously. 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Presumably she also read her questions better than you and answered them rather than another thing all together

How is that meant to answer the question?It does not even mention her writing nor talk about it
    Still cannot tell if intentional or not

graemecsl
    Free Member

She’s sharper than that, time of the month can be the only explanation, it happens, even to men.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Ahhahahahaha have you seen her on TV? Yes? That’s why!

andylaightscat
    Free Member

what’s not to like about DA? that she doesn’t know her brief? appearing incompetent? or the overpriviliged, patronising tone of voice?

ctk
    Free Member

mitsumonkey – Member

Ahhahahahaha have you seen her on TV? Yes? That’s why!

Writing an article is not the same as being on TV

jambalaya
    Free Member

Diane for Countdown 🙂

grum
    Free Member

I think as above Diane Abott used her background somewhat shamelessly to defend herself over sending her son to private school, however….

It is interesting that two major figures of hatred/ridicule for the Tory/UKIP Leave-supporters (Diane Abbott and Gina Miller) happen to be women who aren’t white.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No surprise at all grum. I’ve said before, DA doesn’t do herself any favours, but the sheer vitriol directed at her from many of our usual suspects has pretty uncomfortable undertones.

@TheGinaMiller (who does PR, I think, for Dallas FC) sometimes posts the vitriol she gets from random right wing nut jobs who are too thick (surprise, surprise) to realise she’s not the focus of their hatred.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

She’s back!

Itv interview

Interviewer “Do you know the net number of losses?”
    DA- “At the time of us doing this interview, I think the net losses are about 50”
    I “Er, there are actually 125 net losses so far”
    DA “Well, the last time I looked, we had net losses of 100”

Can someone please give her some media/interview training?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think Diane Abbott is a secret Tory sleeper because she must be helping their vote more than any of their own people.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hasn’t she got funny hair too flashy? Hawhaw.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don’t know. Has she? Seems perfectly normal to me.

Her ability to know her brief in interviews, however, is pretty piss poor.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Hasn’t she got funny hair too flashy?”

In what way?

ctk
    Free Member

DA has set herself up for lots of “how many…” questions forever more. Just say I dont know FFS.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 193 total)

The topic ‘Diane Abbott's LBC interview.’ is closed to new replies.