• This topic has 351 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 352 total)
  • Diane Abbott – I'm surprised it has taken a year
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Elf – that excuse does not hold water for several reasons
    1) he was clearly having a argument with him hence would not be using an affectionate name
    2) he has been in Europe long enough to know that it is unacceptable
    3) he claimed to have used it once but the recording showed 7 times

He used it as a deliberate racist slur, the FA found him guilty of this.

Now maybe he is not a racist but for sure he used a racist slur intentionally to upset

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

phil.w

Treating people equally is racist?

You’re wasted here, should be in politics

If that was what I said you’d be right.

But it isn’t what I said.

If you think that people ARE treated equally then you’re not very bright/don’t get out much.

tails
    Free Member

4) He has form for being nasty from the World Cup handball.
    5) If he did mean it as a friendly term he would have undoubtedly used it in training or in another match and already been told he can’t say it. He ment it in a nasty way 100%.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

6) It saves TJ adressing the issue of Diane Abbott’s racist comment.

😉

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

2) he has been in Europe long enough to know that it is unacceptable

Funny that you don’t apply the same standard to Diane Abbot’s comments.

(UK born, Jamacian immigrant parents)

wrecker
    Free Member

you’re not very bright/don’t get out much.

Following your earlier comment, I don’t think you’re qualified to judge.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Oooooooooh. Get you.

wrecker
    Free Member

*blows raspberry* 😛

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elf – that excuse does not hold water for several reasons

No; your clostomy bayg does not in any way hold water for several reasons. 😐

chewkw
    Free Member

rainbow
    Free Member

Black people can be racists aswell, you know 😉

Torminalis
    Free Member

I have been watching this thread with interest today and the most interesting comments by far were from the guy I car share to and from work with. He is a 50 year old black chap and he was spitting furious with DA. He was ranting about how because there are so few black MPs, the ones that are there are under increased amount of pressure to represent blacks and today he feels like black people in the public eye have taken a step (even if it is, he acknowledged, only a small one) backwards today.

He is very loud so my ears are still ringing! 😯

grantway
    Free Member

throughout her role in Politics she has always come out with such crap
    and got away with it.
    And now at last she has met her maker
    So now lets see right be done.

anagallis_arvensis

This abbott thing seems to me as being as pointless and overblown as the fuss over that **** from top gears comments. In context both are not offensive, just stupid things to say.

Coyote
    Free Member

Post deleted.

TJ has once again proved himself of being a complete and utter hypocrit who is totally incapable of seeing that he may, just may be wrong.

Now waiting for the “Edinburgh Defence”…

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Torminalis,

I think your mate is dead right, but only because anything that anyone says these days that is even slightly off message will get pounced on and blown out of all proportion by the media, Twitterati and MTB forums.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Coyote
    I simply have a different opinion to some on here and some agree with me. Its not hypocrisy its a different opinion.

I have explained why I hold that opinion. There is no need to be insulting.

teh rush to call her a racist is laughable from all these people who are usually denying racism.

I would be a hypocrite if I agreed with everyone just to keep in with the lynch mob but no – I express my opinion and gave my reasons – that is not hypocrisy that is honesty.

wrecker
    Free Member

TJ you have not really stated why you think her comment isn’t racist, just that it had been taken out of context.
    Normally you are quite particular and explain your position well.
    Are you a fan of ms abbots?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

teh rush to defend her as not being a racist is laughable from all these people who are usually pointing out anything that could be seen or construed as racism.

Ftfy, TJ.

Northwind

alba23 – Member

Is she not the one who shouted about private education. And then when she saved her mp salary/expenses money sent her son to a private school.

You can want to change a system, yet play by its rules in the meantime- that’s not hypocrisy, just pragmatism. You have to live in the world as it is now, not the world you wish existed.

Lifer
    Free Member

No compromise, even in the face of armageddon.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FFS – I have made it clear I don’t like Abbott and I have explained why I don’t believe it to be racist – i think she made a poor choice of words that when taken out of context looked racist.

Northwind

OK Lifer, I’ll rephrase, you have to live in the world as it is now unless you’re a psychopath with a bag on your head.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ftfy, TJ.

Oh how clever of you. You wouldn’t know racism if it stuck a mallet up its arse and bit yours flashy. I hazard you’ve never experienced it, along with a lot of posters on here today that have concreted their knickers, such was the mix of sand and bodily fluids. The two things uppermost in your mind are a) she’s in the labour party and b) another chance to gang up and bully TeeJ. How the Jeebus he puts up with it I have no idea.

wrecker
    Free Member

i think she made a poor choice of words that when taken out of context looked racist.

Why do you think that?
    its a pretty clear cut comment to nearly everyone else. There must be a reason that you’re giving her he benefit of the doubt.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wrecker I can say no more. I can see the point she was trying to make and she expressed it poorly leaving her open to accusations of being racist. I do not believe that was her intent to make a lazy generalisation. Twitter is the wrong place to try to have that sort of discussion – nuances cannot be expressed and she used the words poorly.

Its a storm in a teacup but because of who she is its been whipped up into a media frenzy.

Its nothing to do with the benefit of the doubt its about how I see the whole exchange

nonk
    Free Member

Torminalis – Member
    White people love playing ‘divide & rule’
    Negative generalisation based on nothing more than skin colour? sounds like racism to me.

hard to see past this for me really but eight pages later i see you are all still at it.

Northwind

I don’t think it’s a case of being taken out of context personally… Looking at the full conversation, it doesn’t read that way at all. Just seems like an excuse.

But I wouldn’t consider it proof of racism either- Twitter’s a compressed posting format, conversational, rapidfire, and off the cuff and it’s pretty easy to say something stupid.

Equally, i think it’s possible that in an unguarded moment, using a conversational and informal communication medium, a bit of genuine racism came out.

But I don’t think it’s useful to analyse everything people say and do on the assumption that it’s all come out exactly as was intended and is enormously revealing- let alone in this sort of format.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I agree that when yo see the simple statement it sounds like its racist but when you look at the wider context I do not believe it is. Its just a screwup and because of who she is its been used to hammer her

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

A few pearls of wisdom from the great one:

For example a racist joke may be intended to be funny but still remains offensive

Of course you can be offensive without any intent.

so you think Bernard Manning telling racist jokes is not offensive because he does not mean to offend?

its clearly racist – just in the lazy unintentional way not the overt intentional way – “negative stereotyping on grounds of race, nationality or ethnic origin”

prejudiced based on race is racist

Its using “black” as an insult hence its racist

Double standards TJ? 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Still hilarious to see (not exclusively) white right wing MPs suddenly go all PC today. I wasn’t sure if I’d woken up in a parallel universe or what. 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye tis irony to see those who are not normally so easily offended and moan about those who are easily offended on behalf of others get all huffy over the absence of the word some in a twitter statement.
    I think this is really the definition if PC gone mad

The constant attacking of TJ is equally unedifying [ he does deserve it sometimes but to do it all the time..tedious.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Lets just pick this one up TJ:

I agree that when yo see the simple statement it sounds like its racist but when you look at the wider context I do not believe it is. Its just a screwup and because of who she is its been used to hammer her

What did Diane say Again?

Now, what was it you said the the past TJ?

“its clearly racist – just in the lazy unintentional way not the overt intentional way – “negative stereotyping on grounds of race, nationality or ethnic origin”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Double standards TJ?

All I can see is TeeJ calling racism where he sees it and not calling it where he doesn’t. Jeez, if we had to call you up on double standards Zulu… You’re another one who’s never experienced racism either but suddenly has become politically correct today of all days. Double standards indeed. Again, like flashy, it’s all about the fact that she’s in the labour party and it’s a chance for you guys to gang up and spend the day goading TeeJ. It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so sad.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You know zulu – you really are an offensive shit. Back to ignoring you I think,

All yo can see here is an opportunity to attack people in a particularly unpleasant manner. You are contemptible

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Interesting assumption you make there Darcy – on what basis do you presume to voice the opinion that I’ve never experienced racism?

TJ:

You know zulu – you really are an offensive shit. Back to ignoring you I think,

All yo can see here is an opportunity to attack people in a particularly unpleasant manner. You are contemptible

😆

Where have I been either

i) offensive
    ii) unpleasant

Far as I can see, all I’ve done is pick you on statements that you’ve made which are somewhat hypocritical

If that really upsets you, perhaps you should pay more attention to consistency in the claims you make?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thank you DD and Junkyard.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Ftfy, TJ.
    Oh how clever of you. You wouldn’t know racism if it stuck a mallet up its arse and bit yours flashy. I hazard you’ve never experienced it, along with a lot of posters on here today that have concreted their knickers, such was the mix of sand and bodily fluids. The two things uppermost in your mind are a) she’s in the labour party and b) another chance to gang up and bully TeeJ. How the Jeebus he puts up with it I have no idea.

This exactly: eight pages of it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d lay a tenner if we could shake on it. Why don’t you regale us of your experiences of racism against you Zulu? Apart from your obvious hurt at the tweets of a labour MP – I’ll allow you your moment of anguish today. So, other than today’s pain?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Again DD – on what basis do you presume to voice the opinion that I’ve never experienced racism?

Answer that, and I’ll answer you 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 352 total)

The topic ‘Diane Abbott – I'm surprised it has taken a year’ is closed to new replies.