• This topic has 351 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 352 total)
  • Diane Abbott – I'm surprised it has taken a year
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

glitchybump

zulu- I am lost as to why you would be so incredibly evasive about answering this simple, reasonable question.

cos it has TRAP written all over it 🙂 I am at a loss why you keep insisting on this. If you understood what racism was then the answer is obvious :-0

Mcboo – and was I right?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I like Diane Abbott, she’s the antidote to Boris Johnson.

It was a slightly silly off-hand remark, but frankly not without a grain of truth – big deal.

The worst thing about it is that all the hoo-ha gives real racists a platform to spout off and try to justify their own clearly unjustifiable opinions.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whats with the anti CFH tags? on this and other threads.

You been trampling peasants again CFH?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ain’t it about time you Scummers started actually reading stuff and trying to understand it, rather than making things up in yer own heads?

Youse, who worship that violent thug Roy Keane, who once called Mick McCarthy an ‘English ****’?

“You were a crap player, you are a crap manager, the only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are manager of my country and you’re not even Irish, you English ****. You can stick the World Cup up your b*****ks.”

Roy Keane to Mick McCarthy, World Cup 2002.

Hypocrites.

Read. Learn.

“Liverpool Football Club have supported Luis Suarez because we fundamentally do not believe that Luis on that day – or frankly any other – did or would engage in a racist act.

“Notably, his actions on and off the pitch with his team-mates and in the community have demonstrated his belief that all athletes can play together and that the colour of a person’s skin is irrelevant.

“Continuing a fight for justice in this particular case beyond today would only obscure the fact that the club wholeheartedly supports the efforts of the Football Association, the Football League and the Premier League to put an end to any form of racism in English football.

“It is time to put the Luis Suarez matter to rest and for all of us, going forward, to work together to stamp out racism in every form both inside and outside the sport.

“It is for this reason that we will not appeal against the eight-game suspension of Luis Suarez.”

Oh look:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2082325/Patrice-Evra-N-word-video-youtube.html

😕

Poor sweet innocent Patrice….

Its tediously predictable scouse persecution complex I’m afraid Fred. But in this casre they’re unquestioningly defending racism.

Whilst you’re making culturally derogatory statements? 😕

Whatever your opinions Fred, Dalglish is doing himself and Liverpool no favours whatsoever with this stance. Everyone else just sees it as defending racism.

This charge is not saying Luis Suarez is a racist. It’s saying, on this occasion, he used racist language.

“It doesn’t make him a bad guy – he needs to learn what is acceptable.”

-Lord Ousman of the Kick It Out anti-racism campaign.

mcboo
    Free Member

Mcboo – and was I right?

I dont think so. But thats not the point…..is it chum.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ, it’s just tags. Am sure the perpetrators will have received the same warning from teh modz that I did when I used “TJ Argues” as a tag! 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Oh it’s ten times now is it? Funny, cos the official report claimed Evra had said it was only seven, but there you go eh. (Btw Suarez admitted to saying it only once)

He is on camera and in the last thread you praised his honesty but I apologise…. I did not realise it would be fine to racially slur 7 times but not 10 but thanks for the heads up

And how exactly am I ‘defending’ Liverpool FC? I happen to agree with their stance,

So you agree with them but you are not defending them – how does that work exactly

Liverpool FC and Suarez have accepted the punishment handed out.

Yes they have said he is not racist, you are persecuting us, but we wont appeal …bit liked Norris accepted the Lawrence verdict that sort of acceptance?

Now I spose you’re going to call for the punishment of Evra for using a culturally insulting term (sudaca- a highly derogatory term especially in the context of the incident) first, before Suarez had said anything to him

?
    Yes if it is proved but I have not read the full report – he has denied saying this and I assume it is not on camera…you want us to take Suarez’s word over evra when the FA called him unreliable whihc is polite for lying…he claimed he called him negro and nipped him to calm him down FFS Elf does that sound remotely credible?

No, thought not…

It is not me who is blinded by loyalty to a football club to the extent I will defend racism because my team did it and can never ever say they do any wrong
    If he did it he should be charged

wrecker
    Free Member

Can we not just hand Diane Abbott an eight match ban and be done with this thread?

Does the labour party have a mess revolver?
    That’s what she should be handed.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Each to their own, thick and prone to silly comments, intelligent and prone to silly comments. Who would you invite for dinner?

It was a slightly silly off-hand remark

Possibly

…{intentional bypass} – big deal.

Yes, mole hill, ditto Suarez?

The worst thing about it is that all the hoo-ha gives real racists a platform to spout off and try to justify their own clearly unjustifiable opinions.

To coin a phrase used above, that’s just a lazy slur. Too easy to hide behind this excuse and deny that racism like sexism is a two-way thing and we do ourselves a dis-service if we fail to pick this up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Does the labour party have a mess revolver?
    That’s what she should be handed.

I think Ed has it at the moment.

kimbers

borris johnson is intelligent????????

scaredypants

Effin:

I haven’t seen the Evra/Suarez footage but I understand from their report that the FA had linguist advisors in who watched the footage – presumably it’s them that said how many times he might have used any particular terms

He was clearly arguing with and shouting at Evra, so claims that it was a common term of endearment or whatever are plainly ludicrous – defending him is as daft as TJ’s stance on this thread. Seriously.

The fact that Evra is an arse of the highest order does not indemnify Suarez. Evra should, however, also be punished for ungentlemanly conduct and bringing the game into disrepute – or something

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes he can spell Boris for starters 😉 but admittedly he tries to hide it as often as possible!!

But kimbers, I wasn’t saying which was which!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

teamhurtmore
    Too easy to hide behind this excuse and deny that racism like sexism is a two-way thing and we do ourselves a dis-service if we fail to pick this up.

No one is denying racism works all ways – just some of us do not believe this comment to be racist.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

bravohotel8er – Member
    I agree with elfin,

Me too. (Universe disappears up it’s own fundament.)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TJ – I am not sure if you have made that point before? I could have missed it. Ok, really off for a run know. Where will this be in a few hours?

mcboo
    Free Member

rightplacerighttime – Member

It was a slightly silly off-hand remark, but frankly not without a grain of truth – big deal.

Another one throwing the slurs at the Real Racists.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The fact that Evra is an arse of the highest order does not indemnify Suarez. Evra should, however, also be punished for ungentlemanly conduct and bringing the game into disrepute – or something

Suarez deserves punishment and is being punished. Liverpool FC accept this, but have defended their player against allegations he is a ‘racist’. Something Evra, the FA and Kick It Out agree with.

Suarez said something that was insulting but in the country and culture he is from, is not considered ‘racist’.

Evra said something that was not ‘racist’, but highly insulting.

Suarez (deservedly) gets an 8-match ban. Evra walks away unpunished.

Man U fayns scream ‘racist’ yet choose to conveniently ignore the transgressions of their own players.

🙄

I have not read the full report

Ah, well, until you do, I’m going to ignore anything you have to say, as you’re clearly ignorant and ill-informed on the matter. Bye.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

thm

I thought you were going for a run?

To coin a phrase used above, that’s just a lazy slur.

No it’s not – and the reason it’s not is that it’s self evident that racism isn’t just what black people do to white people.

Unfortunately lots of people seem to be making that the centre of the debate AS IF racism were something that worked EQUALLY in both directions, which is also self evidently not the case.

Racism black on white is tiny problem

Racism white on black is a huge problem

Pretending that these have equivalence isn’t just lazy, but racist.

binners

Fred. You’re quoting Kick it Out’s Lord Ouseley as defending Suarez and Liverpool. Have you read the news today

Kick it Out

What he actually says is this:

“Suarez’s attempt at a belated apology is nothing short of lamentable.

“I cannot believe that a club of Liverpool’s stature, and with how it has previously led on matters of social injustice and inequality, can allow its integrity and credibility to be debased by such crass and ill-considered responses.

“Liverpool have been particularly hypocritical. You can’t on the one hand wear a Kick It Out T-shirt in a week of campaigning against racism when this is also happening on the pitch: it’s the height of hypocrisy.

AND to add to that

Piara Powar, executive director of Football Against Racism in Europe, believes the FA would be within its rights to charge Liverpool and its manager Kenny Dalglish over their handling of the situation.

“Liverpool have constantly undermined the investigation and its outcome,” he told BBC Sport.

“They have been disrespectful to the FA and questioned its integrity and neutrality.

“If a manager had done that in a post-match interview the FA would have brought disrepute charges.”

I’m sorry Fred, but you’re wrong. Suarez is a racist. Its been proven. The evidence has been published. And liverpool FC are therefore defending racism. Its that simple.

If Suarez thought his language was acceptable then its LFC’s fault for allowing him to think that it was. So, given that, a bit of contrition may be in order. Not defiant and mindless posturing

wrecker
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter. Racism is worng legally and morally. If we want racism gone then both sides must play by the rules, otherwise it adds fuel to the fire. The “size” of the problems is of not relevant. Wrong is wrong.

That’s just bollocks.

phil.w
    Free Member

Treating people equally is racist?

You’re wasted here, should be in politics 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

Have you ever aksed a Pakistani if they want to go for some Indian food ?

Have you ever drunk Bailey’s from a shoe?

mcboo
    Free Member

That’s just bollocks.

I’d go for UTTER BOLLOCKS.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ah, well, until you do, I’m going to ignore anything you have to say, as you’re clearly ignorant and ill-informed on the matter. Bye.

I am sure you have read the entire 115 page report in full too fred …forgive my honesty should i bluster and lie to save face ?
    what if i sat away form the report will that do sweet cheeks?

your version of accepting it by LFC is BS her is their opening line fo their statement of acceptance

It is our strongly held conviction that the Football Association and the panel it selected constructed a highly subjective case against Luis Suárez based on an accusation that was ultimately unsubstantiated.

So that is LFC accepting the decision then Excellent ….i think that proves wholeheartedly you are not blinkered here or cherry picking to put the wonderful LFC in a positive light

as for calling an opposing fan scummers ..please elf it has no need on a thread or anywhere in life

as for slagging if evra its a nice distraction i will just point out he has not been charged so he has nothing to even answer for so he does not need someone to defend his behaviour …if he was found guilty of using language like that ,or any other man U player, I would not be defending them as I am not blinded by the shirt and can accpet that the team i support and the players occasionally do bad things.
    I would not describe that statement as acceptance either here is Suarez accpeting the judgement as well

I am very upset by all the things which have been said during the last few weeks about me, all of them being very far from the truth. But above all I’m very upset at feeling so powerless whilst being accused of something which I did not, nor would not, ever do.

In my country, ‘negro’ is a word we use commonly, a word which doesn’t show any lack of respect and is even less so a form of racist abuse. Based on this, everything which has been said so far is totally false.

I will carry out the suspension with the resignation of someone who hasn’t done anything wrong and who feels extremely upset by the events.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/03/liverpool-luis-suarez-statement

scaredypants

I reckon it’s more to do with power/colonialism than anything else though

Occupying/governing minorities pretty much have to consider their new subjects to be of lower worth than themselves or else they’d apologise and leave, wouldn’t they ?
    (Addit: (not in DA’s defence) they also need to apply principles such as divide and rule, clearly)
    Few “white” nations have had non-whites ruling over them, at least in the recent past so there’s little chance for residual tendency to view us as inferior or subservient – though they can still hate us for other reasons.

Surely many non-white societies have minorities (racial, religious, tribal or whatever) within them that are persecuted but since the recent balance of world power has been with the white folk, whenever they are in another country they are in the higher strata of that society.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Elf – you are wrong on the wendyball players – his excuse was not credible in any way which is why he was found guilty – the FA went a long way to establish the validity of it engaging language experts and the like.

Remember he had been playing in europe for a while so should know.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m sorry Fred, but you’re wrong. Suarez is a racist. Its been proven. The evidence has been published. And liverpool FC are therefore defending racism. Its that simple.

Sigh.

What has bin ‘proven’, is that Suarez used racist language/racially abused Evra. something he’s admitted, and bin punished for.

Once again:

“This charge is not saying Luis Suarez is a racist. It’s saying, on this occasion, he used racist language.

-Lord Ousman of the Kick It Out anti-racism campaign.

Suarez himself says:

“I admitted to the commission that I said a word in Spanish once, and only once.

I never, ever used this word in a derogatory way and if it offends anyone then I want to apologise for that.

I told the panel members that I will not use it again on a football pitch in England.”

And:

“I will carry out the suspension with the resignation of someone who hasn’t done anything wrong and who feels extremely upset by the events.

“In my country, ‘negro’ is a word we use commonly, a word which doesn’t show any lack of respect and is even less so a form of racist abuse. Based on this, everything which has been said so far is totally false.”

From this, the onions of various cultural experts, that of Evra himself, coupled with my own understanding of Spanish and South American culture, do not lead me to believe that Suarez is a ‘racist’, as is being screamed by Manure fayns intent on prolonging this animosity between the clubs, rather than looking at the actions of their own player and accepting his part in this sorry mess. hence, neither i nor Liverpool FC are ‘defending’ racism.

So shut up.

You’re not actually interested in whether or not Suarez is racist or not; you just want another reason to hate.

Pathetic.

the FA went a long way to establish the validity of it engaging language experts and the like.

Did they cobblers, As soon as Suarez admitted he’d said ‘negro’ once, they took Evra’s word over his, then went all out to make a stance against racism. Which I can understand. They had no choice really.

Several people have backed up Suarez’ claim that it was not intended in a racially insulting manner.

But in Uruguay and Argentina, the use of the word negro and negrito by commentators describing Premier League players is common. Visitors to South America often find that shocking if they are unaware of the nuance but the Spanish word negro for the colour black is pronounced differently to the offensive “negro” and one has nothing to do with the other. Un hombre negro means “black man”. Affixing ‘ito’ and ‘ita’ on the end of words is to express that something is smaller.

Still no word on Keane or Evra’s insulting behaviour from the Manure faithful? Surprise surprise eh? 🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

“This charge is not saying Luis Suarez is a racist. It’s saying, on this occasion, he used racist language.

I think that’s all that needs to be said on this.

binners

Yeah Fred… I can just imagine the reaction of the Scousers if it had been Hernandez abusing a Liverpool player. I’m sure you’d be just as virulent in his defence. It’d just be a cultural difference? Sure! 🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

I like Diane Abbott, she’s the antidote to Boris Johnson

No, she’s not, she’s just the counterpart to Boris Johnson.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I can just imagine the reaction of the Scousers if it had been Hernandez abusing a Liverpool player. I’m sure you’d be just as virulent in his defence. It’d just be a cultural difference? Sure!

I’d look at the facts, rather than letting all the silly hatred rubbish get to me.

I used to hang around with a load of Spaniards, Colombians and other assorted Latin Americans.
    They’d have all sorts of nicknames for each other. One girl who was of part African origin had the nickname of ‘Negrita’ (I never actually remember her real name). I was quite shocked by this until I learned that it’s not the insulting thing in Spanish/SA culture that such a thing would be here. The girl herself was absolutely fine with her nickname. There was also Mono (monkey), Flaca (skinny), and various other animal names and corruptions of full names and stuff. Quite confuddling actually, as I often assumed the nickname was the person’s real name.

‘Sudaca’ was a term used affectionately by the Spanish lot. I was told that although this was fine between friends, it was in fact a pretty bad insult.

Hearing ‘Vamos Negro!’ shouted in a pub during a game was quite something. Think that was the England v Colombia game in ’98. There was a bit of hurried explanation to the English people there, who looked quite shocked!

But carry on wanting Suarez to be a racist. It suits your bitterness…

binners

Bitterness?

Would that make your sentiments shandyness?

😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nasty stuff. 😡

Proper beer:

binners

Northist!

Junkyard
    Free Member

So shut up.

You’re not actually interested in whether or not Suarez is racist or not; you just want another reason to hate.

Pathetic.
    says the man who refers to man U as scummers .oh the ironing
    Whatever fred thought you could debate as an adult but of course its Liverpool and you cannot. I apologise for expecting more of you

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh shit that aint going to go down well.
    ABANDON SHIP

atlaz
    Free Member

To follow from Elfin’s comment about Spanish nicknames. My friend’s Spanish girlfriend was horrified to learn that calling him a c-word was so offensive in the UK (she even apologised to the rest of us). But do you know what, she never did it again after she was told. Just saying.

konabunny
    Free Member

My friend’s Spanish girlfriend was horrified to learn that calling him a c-word was so offensive in the UK (she even apologised to the rest of us)

It’s sad, but a lot of people don’t have the kind of sensitivity to Cockneys that British people are brought up with.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 352 total)

The topic ‘Diane Abbott – I'm surprised it has taken a year’ is closed to new replies.