Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • Diane Abbot’s Son – Charged with biting a Police Officer.
  • Premier Icon TroutWrestler
    Free Member

She’s on the Mogg Protocol.

Premier Icon doris5000
    Free Member

He’s got a long way to go before he beats mark Thatchers rap sheet.

funny, isn’t it. Son of Labour politician – minor skirmish, the tabloids are all over it.

Son of a Tory politician: blags a few million quid in offshore cash and Belgravia houses out of arms deals with mummy’s government, funds a coup attempt in Africa, gets a knighthood.

You have to hand it to the Tories…

Premier Icon outofbreath
    Free Member

Sounds like he’s mentally ill:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/01/diane-abbotts-son-appears-court-assault-charges/

I know the cps/police know what they’re doing but if it’s accepted he’s mentally ill is there any point in prosecuting him for stuff he does while he’s mentally ill?

Premier Icon airvent
    Free Member

@outofbreath initially i thought yes there is a point but the harder I think about it, I cant see what it would achieve.

Premier Icon ajaj
    Free Member

is there any point in prosecuting him for stuff he does while he’s mentally ill

Well from the Police point of view it’s a good way to boost the statistics. And the general public have a reasonable expectation that society should protect them from physical violence.

Perhaps we should be asking why there are no other options and why the care for the mentally ill is so atrocious that the Police are left picking up the pieces.

Premier Icon Drac

I know the cps/police know what they’re doing but if it’s accepted he’s mentally ill is there any point in prosecuting him for stuff he does while he’s mentally ill?

That is what the courts will decide.

Premier Icon ajaj
    Free Member

That is what the courts will decide.

Not really. There’s a public interest test as part of the charging decision but once prosecuted the court has to convict if the charges are proved (murder excepted). It could then hand down an absolute discharge which would be a good indication.

Obviously different rules apply if your name is Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

Premier Icon MarkBrewer
    Free Member

All the article says is he was being treated for mental health issues at the time of most of the offences.

That could mean anything from mildly depressed to full on schizophrenic as far as I’m concerned so I think I’d want to know what it was before making up my mind up.

As above though the courts will have that information so I’m sure they can decide based on that.

Premier Icon outofbreath
    Free Member

All the article says is he was being treated for mental health issues at the time of most of the offences.

That could mean anything from mildly depressed to full on schizophrenic as far as I’m concerned so I think I’d want to know what it was before making up my mind up.

As above though the courts will have that information so I’m sure they can decide based on that.

Good point.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Free Member

If he is using that as sole defence, then that’s a route with finite consequences. One he may regret later in life.

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

Did you deliberately mention Dianne abbott and the word count in the same sentence? This is what she will go down in history for 😂

Yeah – odd that. When the black lady gets her sums wrong it’s remembered forever. When the white man (Philip Hammond, for example) gets the cost of HS2 wrong by 20 billion quid, nobody can recall it the next day.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

Not really. There’s a public interest test as part of the charging decision but once prosecuted the court has to convict if the charges are proved

There’s an IF there, which is why there’s a court with a jury rather than just someone rubber stamping a CPS decision.

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Free Member

When the black lady gets her sums wrong it’s remembered forever.

I’m not sure what her skin colour has to do with being bloody awful with numbers.

It’s likely she’s just beyond incompetent; the prejudice is all yours.

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

I’m not sure what her skin colour has to do with being bloody awful with numbers.

It’s likely she’s just beyond incompetent; the prejudice is all yours.

Maybe. What reason do you propose for the difference in approch to her compared with Hammond?

Premier Icon tjagain

Abbott is not dim. got a degree from a top uni. She was a recently diagnosed diabetic and her blood sugars where all over the place in that interview causing confusion

there is no doubt at all that the slagging of Abbott is based on racism

Premier Icon daveylad
    Free Member

Having no doubt about something in your own mind doesn’t actually make it a fact.

Premier Icon ctk

And some of the people who think they are not racist might actually be racist!

Premier Icon mooman
    Free Member

ajaj

Subscriber

Perhaps we should be asking why there are no other options and why the care for the mentally ill is so atrocious that the Police are left picking up the pieces.

I agree that mental health care services needs more funding. However, the assertion that Police are left picking up the pieces is an ill informed statement; conversely it is the Police who use mental health as a way of not becoming involved.

tjagain

there is no doubt at all that the slagging of Abbott is based on racism

There is also no doubt that you know a lot less than you think – which is also not based on racism.

Premier Icon Northwind

Diane Abbot received 45% of all reported abusive tweets sent to female MPs in the runup to the 2017 election- 10 times that of the number received by the next highest. One in ten of 140000 tweets analysed that mentioned her was abusive. On average, black and asian female MPs receive 35% more abuse than white female MPs even when removing her from the total.

I’m sure none of that has anything to do with racism though, it’s all because she’s incompetent. Especially the letters with swastikas and pictures of monkeys.

Premier Icon tjagain

Does a white man receive the same slagging off for making mistakes while ill? Obviously not as we can see from the treatment of Hammond for just one tiny example.

Its so obviously racist that if you cannot see it then you really need to question why not.

Premier Icon Drac

However, the assertion that Police are left picking up the pieces is an ill informed statement

It really isn’t.  Mental health services are pretty poor so police, ambulance and emergency departments get left to pick up the pieces.

Premier Icon RustySpanner

And a hearty ‘well done’ to the OP as well.

Nice to see you starting 2020 with the same level of class you demonstrated throughout 2019.

Premier Icon Drac

Well to be fair he created the thread in 2019.

Premier Icon RustySpanner

I know. 🙂

Premier Icon jamj1974

He’s an upper class Cambridge graduate lawyer with five years of FO service behind him & pushing thirty. The Police attended in response to a call. I suspect the public school demeanour and expensive suit will have been a bit more noticeable than his skin.

I don’t think so.  Ever tried being young and black and seeing which aspect of you is noticed the most? Clue: it’s not your public school demeanour and expensive suit…

Premier Icon ditch_jockey

She always sounds totally incompetent in interviews and whenever somebody challenges her on anything just changes the subject. I don’t know how anybody could ever vote for her, she’s an utter joke.

Sounds like description of BJ, and he’s just won a hefty majority…

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Free Member

Does a white man receive the same slagging off for making mistakes while ill? Obviously not as we can see from the treatment of Hammond for just one tiny example.

Hammond isn’t making mistakes; he’s lying. He is a Conservative if you need to confirm this.

Abbot on the other hand is an unapologetic hypocrite and useless with numbers. If you don’t know a fact admit it, don’t make up numbers as it will haunt you forever. Low blood sugar? I remember that excuse; gave it the contempt it deserved.

Black, white or purple in colour is not the problem. Neither is her gender, smell or whether she is left handed.

It’s her credibility, her integrity and the fact she is Jezza’s no.1 ally that makes her a figure of ridicule.

Premier Icon mooman
    Free Member

Premier Icon
    Drac

Subscriber

Mental health services are pretty poor so police, ambulance and emergency departments get left to pick up the pieces

What experience are you speaking from?

Premier Icon Drac

30 years of working in front line healthcare, working alongside police and mental health nursing.

Premier Icon deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sometimes one just wishes one hadn’t asked the question.

Premier Icon anagallis_arvensis
    Free Member

the fact she is Jezza’s no.1 ally that makes her a figure of ridicule.

So its just lucky that she’s a black woman too?

Premier Icon mooman
    Free Member

`

<blockquote>
    Premier Icon
    Drac

Subscriber

30 years of working in front line healthcare, working alongside police and mental health nursing
    </blockquote>

That sounds like you speak from experience. But care to identify in what role?
    It is easy to have a bias if you occupy a position at a level you do not see the intricate workings.

Premier Icon taxi25
    Free Member

As a black woman she’s obviously a target for racists. But swastikas and monkey pictures represent a tiny proportion of the overall criticism she gets. Simply because the people who would send them are a tiny minority of the population. Mostly she’s criticised for her competence and the policies she supports. She’d be criticised for those regardless of race or gender. Perhaps she gets so much stick because she actually is the most incompetent senior politician in office at the moment.

Premier Icon crankboy
    Free Member

“Perhaps she gets so much stick because she actually is the most incompetent senior politician in office at the moment.”

It’s almost as if you had never heard of Boris Johnson!

Premier Icon thegreatape
    Free Member

I can confirm what Drac says, although from a slightly different perspective.

For example:-

– local A&E dept (small rural hospital) locking the door to stop us taking in a woman who had been threatening suicide, because it was the third time that week and there was nothing they could do.

– nearest psychiatric unit (70 miles away) regularly take 24hrs to come and retrieve people detained under MH legislation, meaning they spend all that time in a police cell as a ‘place of safety’, which is bordering on unlawful.

I don’t blame any particular individuals for these things, but the system fails massively, to the detriment of both MH patients, and the wider public whose emergency services are unable to get on with the rest of their work.

Premier Icon mooman
    Free Member

Whilst I respect paramedics and ambulance drivers which I assume Drac is.
    However their job is responding to emergencies and transporting patients, they Are not involved much more than that.

My initial point was in response to whether the person would be prosecuted because of a mental health concern; which typically means no once Police identify mental health issues … they typically contact MH services to pick up.

Premier Icon Drac

ambulance drivers

However their job is responding to emergencies and transporting patients, they Are not involved much more than that.

FFS!

Premier Icon thegreatape
    Free Member

All depends on the particular MH issue mooman.

Premier Icon martinhutch

A modern paramedic at the ready to meet the transportational needs of the public.

Premier Icon mooman
    Free Member

The difficulty is identifying what is behavioural and what is a mental disorder. It is my opinion – that the Police are quick to identify the nature of an incident as mental health .. even when psychiatrists will explain it is a behavioural presentation. Hence why hospitals may take the extreme measure of locking doors, which is likely a position of making the Police claim responsibility instead of dumping it (excuse the language) onto health.

Maybe MH services work different with Drac – but MH hospitals where I work have their own transport when doing MHA assessments to Section people; they will not use standard ambulances from general hospitals. As said I got a lot of respect for ambulance drivers like Drac – but they are at a level where they do not see the more intricate processes involved.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.