Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Dialect & Where you are from
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

God no, I don’t actually have a Bristolian accent

You think that? 😀

pyranha

It just gave me a belt from Essex to Southampton. It was difficult for me to try and remember what words I used as a child, and what I’ve picked up since. Born in Kent, and grew up in Herts (so the result wasn’t too bad), but my parents had only just arrived from Ireland (but very middle class Dublin), and I’ve since lived in London, Kendal, and the last 16 years in Perthshire. I started going through the additional questions, but got to one which didn’t have a ‘none of these’ option and then got distracted and the page reloaded.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Way out for me. Mostly showed places I’ve rarely if ever been to, never mind lived in.

Outwith Scotland

Outwith is a dead giveaway for a Scot. As a scouser turned woollyback emigrated to Glasgow, when I first read ‘This bus will not uplift passengers outwith the city boundary’ I had no idea it meant it wouldn’t pick up passengers outside the city.

CountZero

God no, I don’t actually have a Bristolian accent

You think that? 😀

Kirk waiter speak Brissle. My babbers!

gordimhor

Pretty accurate for me, picked up Ayrshire where I was born and brought up and Galloway where my folks are from.

kayla1
    Free Member

Spot on, bonny lass. Wey, ye bugger a hell, howay the lads, etc…

dissonance

I assume from the responses it can be fairly pinpointed?
    For me it was a pretty wide spread which given my upbringing isnt surprising. Somewhat surprised it isnt more infected with Southern words. Might have been messed up slightly due to my liking for picking up random dialect words and using them to confuse the overseas people I work with.
    For just the rhyming words it was a lot closer to where I was born and brought up for first ten years or so.
    Although has oddities like using creek. I did use to use it how they said but from kayaking usage has changed a tad due to the US usage of creek boat.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah, it will respond to both how widely you have picked up words and how strictly you answer the questions. The box to add more words etc. is it’s way of learning who is who and pinpointing more, watching the map flip around was interesting as to how it’s guesses were going, like a game of battleships

Tracey

Born on the Rock, early teens in Hong Kong. Rest of the time a Barnsley lass. Puts me on the South Coast. Not sure ah a feel abat that.

RustySpanner

Spot on for me, Manchester.

I think the barm cake question was a giveaway….🙂

slowoldman

Yep, very close. It appears that even though I was brought up to “speak nicely” and now live near Stockport, I am indeed a Yorkshireman. Grand.

mattbee

Spot on for me. Mainly South Yorkshire with some West Mids.

I grew up in Barnsley until my mid teens then moved to Walsall and went to uni in Brum.

ElShalimo

@slowoldman – I’m the opposite, grew up in Manchester and Stockport but spent most of the last 20+ yrs in South & West Yorkshire. It said I was from the NW so given my Irish heritage and proclivity for swearing it’s not too bad.

scotroutes

Outwith is a dead giveaway for a Scot

Yeah – it was a plant by rene59 to see who would pick up on it 🙂

Mine would have been more accurate if I’d answered it 40 years ago, but was pretty close regardless (i.e. more generic than it could have been). I could guess at what answers I should have given. I also added a couple of answers when I did it earlier (e.g. gloaming).

MoreCashThanDash

My results suggested Lincolnshire or Leeds – brought up in South Lincs, mainly by my Leeds born mum and her Leeds born parents 🤔

slowoldman

Mrs Slowoldman got Stoke on Trent area, so is naturally a bit peeved.

lister

Weirdly accurate for me. First set of questions got me bang on for the Newcastle area.
    I then carried on for the extra questions and it put a massive extra hotspot over Reading, which is where my wife of near 20 years is from.
    She’s clearly had an impact on me!

matt_outandabout

It was always going to struggle with someone who lived in the following places before age of 20: India, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire again, Cumbria and Liverpool.
    Since then I’ve married a Yorkshire woman, lived in Galloway, Sheffield (where I produced three Sean Bean’s) and Stirling(shire).

ebygomm
    Free Member

Mardy is my giveaway word. Sounds like some get a much smaller suggested area, mine covers most of Lincs, Notts and Yorkshire

Bigmantrials

Pretty close for me, got 3 hot spots, Cornwall which is where I grew up, Midlands which is where I have lived for the past 10yrs and then lincolnshire, not sure on the last one……

doris5000

I’m from Shropshire, and it nailed that reasonably well, although there was a big stripe across the black country and into the East Mids which seems quite odd. It specifically excludes Birmingham though.

Most obvious giveaway for me was ‘island’ to mean ‘circular traffic junction’. I didn’t even know that was a regional thing until now, but it seems to be centred on an incredibly small area

Interesting too that my mum is Irish and it showed that some of the words I use are most common in Ireland, but in the final shakedown it didn’t try to place me there at all.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Ah, the extended questions give a much smaller area – spoggy and croggy aren’t used very widely

athy62
    Free Member

96 fookin questions and they only needed to ask me 1 of them to guess where I came from – the answer was barm.

dirkpitt74

Yep, clearly had me pegged as a Brummie…..

scaredypants

generic north east england for me – close enough but didn’t narrow me down much

Scaredyfact: Chuddy means undies/knickers in some Indian language, as I found out when I offered some to a girl I worked with

northernsoul

Not too bad for me – grew up in N. Yorks (SW dales) and it picked up most of Airedale all the way down to Leeds (where I also lived for a while).

imnotverygood

Anyone here from North London? I have spent too long in Scotland to call the act of giving a lift on a bike anything but a backie, but I’m sure that’s not what I called it when I was a kid.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nailed it to within the council boundaries. Upset I never realised the slater question wasn’t multiple choice. Also, nae winterdyke. #shiteyermawcomesawaywi

Perchy – you can only dream.

olly2097
    Free Member

I’m proper local. Oswestry. Shropshire.

Northwind

It sort of got me, but the area it specified is about half the population of Scotland.

wallop

You think that? 😀

😂

alpin
    Free Member

pretty accurate. essex boy through and through… or should that be essex boi thru n thru…?

a few questions/answers that placed me further afield, but i’m putting that down to the fact i’ve read books n shit. innit.

even my German GF was placed London/SE Essex. that’s cos i taught her proper.

good fun.

better results if you don’t give too many answers and go with what first comes to you.

TiRed

Without the word grockle it would have struggled and only managed to pin me to the south. And to be fair, I only use that word in Devon, so knew the outcome when I entered it. In Windsor we have tourists. Nice piece of machine learning though.

bob_summers

It nailed it for me, Furness, despite not having lived there since 1998 (and a few of my answers showing as south of Ireland for some reason).

And who calls their Grandfather “dad”?
    🤔

frankconway

Born/bred on Tyneside then lived in Bristol, Ipswich, North Notts/Lincs.

First set of 25 Qs tagged me to tyneside/wearside/teeside/carlisle.
    Qs 26 – 96 didn’t refine that any further.
    As several posts ^^^^ there are a few key words which are a dead give away.
    Mam and spelk combined are specific.

olddog

The short 25 Q version centred me on Leeds which is where I’ve lived for more than 30 years but the full 96 q version pegged me in the East Midlands which is where I grew up. Cob and Nesh I reckon

gallowayboy

Wow. Coupar Angus from 1 to 10 then Kirkcudbright from 10 to 22 and it highlighted Dundee and Ayr. Fairly close.

malgrey
    Free Member

Spot on, had me as East Mids/South Yorks area. I’m from Mansfield.

Enjoyed that.

rene59
    Free Member

And who calls their Grandfather “dad”?

Children of incest?

But apart from that, in parts of Scotland it used to be common enough to call your Grandfather your Auld Da as in Old Dad. Or more accurately how your Grandfather would refer to himself when talking to you ie ‘Don’t talk to yer Auld Da like that or you’ll get a clip round the ear.’ Not heard it much in the last 30-40 years though.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Canny good like ..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Dialect & Where you are from’ is closed to new replies.