Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Dialect & Where you are from
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html
    It’s learning and building up a picture as people fill it out, cam out spot on for me. How about everyone else?

Drac

Very close for me.

jimdubleyou

Not bad – generic south east mostly, but of a preference for M3 corridor, which is pretty accurate…

spawnofyorkshire

Mines pretty accurate, born and brought up in West Yorks, but folks are from Cheshire and Liverpool and it’s picked that influence up too

cinnamon_girl

Spot on, That Lahndun.

Edukator
    Free Member

Correct to within about half a mile.

Garry_Lager

Skewered by kecks and scallies.

andytherocketeer

Came up with 3 hotspots surrounding London for me – if it had a couple of Cockney derived words in there then I reckon it’d be able to pin point it spot on (give or take the wrong side of the Thames).

DezB
    Free Member

That’s fun. Who knew there were so many words for wood louse!?
    Needs a few more answers to narrow mine down, got an area which includes about 50 miles west of where I am, where they talk quite different.

kennyp
    Free Member

Got me as being from Scotland, but a long way from both where I grew up and where I’ve been the past 30 years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and as we found out in the office it asks you different questions depending on how you answered the first ones – [DataGeekTime]so it’s seeking an answer more like an optimiser [/DataGeekTime]

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s clearly broken as it’s lumped me in with the inbred Ayrshire savages.

whitestone
    Free Member

Originally from what was Lancashire but is now part of Cumbria, i.e. Furness but it has me as being from Yorkshire – the shame😢

rene59
    Free Member

That was so close I think it pinpointed my street!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I must have picked up a few words from around the south east as it highlights everything from the Isle Of Wight across London and all of Norfolk and Suffolk. Actually born and bred in Northamptonshire.

metcalt

Pretty good county match, mixture of East Yorks/North Lincs, or Humberside as it would have been when I was growing up.

wallop

Got me completely wrong, but possibly because I was born in Manchester, raised in West Cornwall and have lived in Bristol for nearly 20 years.

swamp_boy

Very interesting. Took time and seemed to go all over the place, but eventually pretty much spot on. Having moved from the west country up to that London quite a while ago I had to revert to using words I did when I was younger for it to get there.

submarined
    Free Member

Interesting. Grew up in Sussex now living in South Warwickshire, with parents from Surrey. Hotspots in all of those and then, for some reason, Hampshire,

scud
    Free Member

That was good as it really pinpointed Portsmouth pretty much for me, which is where i was born, yet having lived in London, Spain, North and West Yorkshire and now Norfolk, and being of Northern Irish and Yorkshire roots, i often use certain words or turns of phrase that you normally wouldn’t hear from a South Coast dweller

swamp_boy

Wallop – you must sound a bit like I used to. Do you say ideal for idea yet?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Map dunt wuk like, eh?

DrJ

Wrong side of the Pennines.

ransos
    Free Member

That’s freakish. I thought it would be thrown because although I grew up in east Lancashire, I wasn’t born there and my parents are Londoners. Plus I’ve lived in Brizzle for years.

rene59
    Free Member

Outwith Scotland people don’t think food and good rhyme? Weirdos.

dienamic

Map doesn’t work for me either, though a snicket and a teacake should pinpoint it pretty much exactly if previous conversations are anything to go by!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Outwith Scotland people don’t think food and good rhyme?

Food rhymes with rude, good with wood. Obvious isn’t it pet.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Nailed me as the Soapdodger I am.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pretty good. Says I matched nowhere in the UK.

Which considering I was brought up in Florida means it’s accurate. However I have lived here longer than over there and mostly worked in the South East (London) for most of my working career.

I do not have a US Drawl anymore, that got beaten out of me whilst at Uni with a bunch of Oiks from Canterbury.. then the totty I knocked about with from Old Morton Hall Girls School.

🚶‍♂️🕺🤗

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Food rhymes with rude, good with wood. Obvious isn’t it pet.

Nope they all sound the same.

ads678

I grew up in Leiceater until 15 then moved to Halifax, so i’m a bit skewed but it was mostly right.

funkmasterp

Pretty close that. Has me as near Leeds and I was born and raised in Mirfield, so not that far off. I’ve gone all posh now though living it up in Cheshire.

martinhutch

I’m clearly not enough of a cockney **** to qualify as proper south Essex.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Spot on for town of birth for me. I knew they’d get me as soon as they asked the name of the shoes you’d wear for PE. Only in Limerick (pretty sure nowhere else in Ireland, and bizarrely also in South Africa), do we call them tackies. Had to do the quiz as if I’d just come off the boat as I use a lot of British-isms now as opposed to words I would have used growing up in Ireland.

CountZero

Pretty good, narrowed down to a region of the West Country, more or less centred around Bath. Difficult to narrow down much more, there are a number of questions where I could have chosen three or four different answers, one question I could have given Jeans or Trousers, both are technically correct, but they’re different.
    I guess if I’d gone on further, it could have narrowed it down even more.
    Re DezB and woodlice, yeah, there’s lots of regional names, around here, Chippenham, they were called chuckypigs when I was a kid.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve asked junior to do it as he’s never lived in the UK. Have I taught him the dialect from where I was dragged up or has he become neutral due to his reading and watching films?

wallop

Do you say ideal for idea yet?

😂 God no, I don’t actually have a Bristolian accent, but now when I try and put on a Cornish one it just sounds like Brizzle instead.

Philby

Pretty accurate for me highlighting Leeds (where I grew up), Blackpool (my Mum came from Lancashire) and Lincolnshire (no idea why) and fortunately I haven’t picked up any Bristolian where I have lived for 30 years.

richmtb

Pretty accurate. Narrowed it down to Ayrshire and Glasgow. And I was brought up in Ayshire and now live in Glasgow

Harry_the_Spider

Spot cock on, our kid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Dialect & Where you are from’ is closed to new replies.