Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Diagnose my shifting woes
  • egb81
    Free Member

Whatever I do, however hard I try, the rear shifting on my road bike just doesn’t work properly. I’ve never had a problem setting up gears before, usually it’s just a case of setting the limit screws, clamp the cable and tweak with the barrel adjusters. The 08-09 era Ultegra shifter and 2013 105 derailleur (both 10sp) just don’t want to play at all. The first click barely moves the derailleur, the second isn’t much better. The only way to get it shifting is to put so much tension on the cable it won’t shift back down again.

The cables are new and there are no snags, the hanger is also pretty new and hasn’t been crashed on. The only things I can think of are that the shifter and mech aren’t compatible or one (or both) are knackered.

Any thoughts?

wwaswas

I found I had the rear outer loop from frame to mech too short and it was affecting how the mech moved when I had shifting issues on a new setup.

Klunk
    Free Member

I read the title completely differently 😀 😳 then this…

Whatever I do, however hard I try, the rear shitting

egb81
    Free Member

I read the title completely differently then this…

Whatever I do, however hard I try, the rear shitting

Many a tricky dump has been navigated in the past 😳

egb81
    Free Member

I found I had the rear outer loop from frame to mech too short and it was affecting how the mech moved when I had shifting issues on a new setup.

The rear outer loop is firmly in the mid-length range.

happybiker
    Free Member

Is the inner cable clamped in the correct place, obvious… But we’ve all done it.

simondbarnes

Get your hanger alignment properly checked and also what happybiker said.

egb81
    Free Member

Hanger alignment seems ok,cable clamped in the right place as well 😕

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

The Ultegra 10 speed shifters are pretty crap. I just replaced one on my bike this afternoon. Stuck on a 10 speed Tiagra shifter. Much better quality. Longevity is not one of the qualities of 10 speed Ultegra. I think the 11 speed version is much better.

simondbarnes

Hanger alignment seems ok

I presume that you’ve checked it with a hanger alignment tool then?

egb81
    Free Member

An eyeline check only as I don’t have an alignment tool

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Diagnose my shifting woes’ is closed to new replies.