Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Diabetic Trail Food
  • petetheplumber
    Free Member

Its not just the amount of insulin for me its also the type. I had problems with the fast acting working to quick so after 30 min riding I would be feeling like going to sleep. I would then eat but end up with no insulin left to fuel my legs. By using a slower acting type I can keep my blood sugars at a better level for the whole ride. I tend to eat well before riding and let my blood sugar levels go up to about 10. I then take a jab and go. I use an energy drink to keep my levels dropping so after 2 hours it goes down to about 5. As for my kids the Doc said they may have the same weakness in there immune systems that I had but then again they may not…… When he says things like that I just want to punch him but a can’t his a doctor and has glasses.

votchy
    Free Member

DickBarton – the issue with my son being diagnosed is that after 32 years of diabetes I know how much effect it has on your life, I know all the ‘it doesn’t stop me doing anything’ side of the disease, and effectively it doesn’t, the effect it does have though is you have to think about everything you do for 24hrs a day, something that is extremely difficult for a child to comprehend. He is the only child with diabetes at his school, he is the ‘weird’ kid, the ‘oooh I feel wobbly, I need to get something to eat’ comments, the sudden change in friends and friends parents attitudes, no longer invited over – all these things have a massive detrimental effect on a child’s mental health and well being, there is no counselling support currently available for children with diabetes, he doesn’t want to be different, he wants to have his food the same as his friends do, not do a blood test, calculate the carbs he is consuming, calculating the required number of insulin units depending on his blood test and the carbs and also factoring in if he has PE after lunch and needs to reduce his insulin because of that.
    On top of all that is the worry for the parents that he is doing all the above, my wife is a Health Professional and we have been married 14yrs, the sh1t I put her through with all the side effects of diabetes such as mood swings, hypo’s during the night etc that no amount of testing and insulin dosages can change as changes in blood sugar levels can be affected by so many things such as temperature, stress, amount of sleep, illness etc.

In summary, yes there are worse things out there but do not think diabetes is a doddle.

votchy
    Free Member

PS – I am not suggesting that DickBarton thinks it is a doddle, that was a general summarising comment, not one aimed at an individual, in fact the whole post is aimed generally, not at Dick even though it was in response to his question, hope no offence has been taken as none is intended.

Mark

DickBarton

Thanks Votchy – like I said – my personal thoughts on it were that, but I’ve no experience other than having it myself…I was so young when I developed it, I don’t know anything other than diabetes so to me, this is normal. I’ve not had to experience looking after someone else with diabetes so don’t have anything to relate it to – other than what is in my head.

roundwheels
    Free Member

dickbarton when my daugther was first diagnosed it was very hard to deal with an a major learning curve. finding the right insulins which ones work which ones dont not to mention that trying to correct a hypo with a kid that thinks it just a game can be frustrating (very at times) and then there is trying to get them to eat the right amount of carbs balance there insulin .it takes over you life .somebody that is in control of there diabetes is some body that has work hard to get to that point, as it can be very easily mismanaged

petetheplumber
    Free Member

A statement no one can’t argue with “Diabetes is a f*%king nightmare” it Just depends how bad you personal nightmare is.

househusband

I think, in all seriousness, you are having to deal with (by proxy, for your son) Type 1 diabetes on a far more complex level than I certainly feel I have to – really do feel for you! I can only imagine the feeling of being ‘different’ at his age.

Have you thought about going on one of the diabetes.org.uk weekends Linky

votchy
    Free Member

househusband – he is going away next month for a weekend organised by the diabetes nurses from Redditch, Worcester and Hereford, approx 30 kids from 8-13, also a couple of guys with diabetes in their early 20’s, hope he gets a lot out of it. Thanks for the diabetes.org.uk link

DickBarton

I went on a couple of Diabetic Camps when I was younger – absolutely brilliant they were…I’m expecting this course I’m attending next month to tell me similar things I learnt whilst at those camps. They were seriously useful…and great fun to boot!

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Diabetic Trail Food’ is closed to new replies.