Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Diabetes
  • Dr_Bakes

Votchy, that sounds interesting although personally I'd prefer a watch/meter that I could wear that would do the same job! Prepare for a 'what bike related tattoo for those with diabetes' thread coming soon…

I appreciate your point about your son. When I was at school, after an initial announcement (so people knew if something was wrong) I don't think many even remembered I was diabetic so long as I was ok. In those days I injected morning and evening only so my sugar levels at school were controlled by eating at set times and set amounts of carbohydrate. Now I, like many people, am on a much more flexible regime requiring regular injections. The last thing you want at school is to be different in any way! I've not thought about pumps as I've got really good control but it sounds like a good solution for many. Hope your son copes with it all.

datsunman

dr_bakes – you'd be surprised what a pump can do for you, I got one last year and wouldn't be without it now, despite 27 years of injections. If anything just changing a canula every couple/few days is better than injecting five or six times. 🙂

I don't remember getting any grief at school, just that I was the 'special one' that could eat a snack at breaktime. Suited me!

Just about to embark on CGMS myself, interested in the peaks and troughs that follow running and biking so thought I'd have a crack.

ratadog

most diabetologists will tell you there is a definite link between type 2 diabetes and obesity. The link isn't if you are diabetic you are fat, it's if you are fat you have a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Agree. One suggestion for the link between obesity and diabetes is that people with large amounts of body fat have a high level of a particular type of fats called NEFAs (non esterified fatty acids) in their blood, and high blood levels of NEFAs are in turn associated with decreased sensitivity to insulin which is the underlying process in Type 2 diabetes. This was the hot new theory when I was involved in research into the causes of Type 2 in the 1990s but since then there have been papers both for and against.

One of the problems with all the "x causes diabetes" theories is that Type 2 Diabetes as currently classified is almost certainly not a single disease with a single cause but rather a classification that seems to cover a similar outcome resulting from a multitude of contributing causes in different people. You see thin ones and fat ones, ones where the whole family has it and ones where they don't know anybody who has it, people who get complications despite their best efforts and people who seem to sail through life without problems.

Biggest improvement in care I have seen in the last 10 years has been from improvements in patient education through courses like DAFNE, DESMOND and Xpert. Pumps suit some people and not others and are fine if they are viewed as a tool for delivering insulin and not as items with intrinsic religious worth as seemed to happen at one stage in their infancy.

satsoma
    Free Member

Where's the OP, we need test results!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I think he went blind and his leg fell off

soma_rich
    Free Member

errr still waiting for the results….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Good typing for a blind man, now hop it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Another IDDM person here!

Not fat. Not old. Diagnosed when I was 24, so coming up for my tenth anniversary now. Had some big hypos when out riding (down to 1.9 once. Felt fine and only checked by chance). Also had some crazy highs in my early years of management. One of my first BSL's on my home meter was 35. Gone from 2 jabs per day to DAFNE (dose adjustment for normal eating). Basically means I can adjust the dose of insulin I give myself depending on the meal / carb content. Works pretty well.

If anyone has any q's fire away and email me.

satsoma
    Free Member

How long do these result things usually take? Thought you were getting your girlfriend to taste your urine…

soma_rich
    Free Member

How long do these result things usually take? Thought you were getting your girlfriend to taste your urine…

Shes probably reading this so she should be feeling pretty guilty by now!

satsoma
    Free Member

Drink it down woman!!

Seriously though, how long do these test things take? I had my bloods taken a while ago and my docs had the results within days…

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Diabetes’ is closed to new replies.