Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Diabetes
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

My girlfriend is convinced I have Diabetes. Now I dont usually goto the doctors unless I know theres something up, but she thinks I should go get a test.

Is there anyway of finding out without bother the Docs? I do have all the usual symptoms, drinking LOADS, feeling tired alot…

Anyone out there with it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You pharmacist may be able to do basic testing – for sugar in urine or blood sugar.

However if you have the symptoms of diabetes GO TO YOUR DOCTORS!. diabetes treated and controlled properly means no great issues with carrying on with your life. Untreated diabetes leads to limb amputation, blindness and death.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Untreated diabetes leads to limb amputation, blindness and death.

really! 😯

cookeaa

I’m reasonably sure that “MTFU” won’t work in this case…

Go see you r doctor, Dehydration and tiredness can be caused by a number of things (including Diabetes) but I’m not sure STW is the best self diagnosis tool…

The last thing you want is a preventable complication which knackers your health and quality of life all because you were “too butch” to go see a doctor…

qwerty
    Free Member

Untreated masterbation leads to limb amputation, blindness and death.

😯 😳 😕 😐 😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There are plenty of other possible reasons why you feel as you do – but with diabetes being a possibility and easily diagnosed and treated you would be foolish not to exclude it if you really do have the symptoms.

nonk
    Free Member

just go to the docs man ffs 😯

soma_rich
    Free Member

Off to Lloys pharmacy at lunch for a free test. Thank you guys….

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hey I was having similar symptoms recently. Including lying on the floor after footy saying I felt terrible.

I really should of go and got blood test, but didnt and I moved on to a lower GI diet. Ie porridge in the morning eating wholewheat food etc .

But most importantly I stopped drinking all energy drinks / energy foods. To be honest I've always known (since about 18, 30 now) that I've had problems controlling my blood sugar. I just dont think my body can cope which such huge quantities of carbohydrates in one go.

Have you been drinking alot of energy drinks recent ?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Have you been drinking alot of energy drinks recent ?

Nope havn't ridden in months and even then didnt use energy drinks just electrolytes in the summer.

I havn't changed my diet but my body certainly does seem to be trying to tell me something..

soma_rich
    Free Member

Fail, both pharmacies I just visited wouldn't/couldn't do the test 🙁

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

MTFU and get a doctors' appointment ffs

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It used to be known as 'Bulter's Disease' because the bulter was required to taste the masters urine. If it tasted sweet that they had diabetes.

Time to take a cup to the toilet Richard

soma_rich
    Free Member

You offering to taste my piss then Nick?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I never take the piss.

Your girlfriend said she thought you had diabetes. See if she REALLY wants to know

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Now I dont usually goto the doctors unless I know theres something up,<

And you thought you'd establish that for sure by asking on the STW forum?

WTF – get to the doctor you muppet!

teagirl
    Free Member

Have you made a GP appointment yet, this is important! Go,go now!

soma_rich
    Free Member

err no I havn't I was going to find another pharmacy tomorrow….

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

really!

yes, really. In fact Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness among working-age adults.
    You can also have an eye test and in Scotland they will routinesly check for some form of calcification of the blood vessels in your eye – another test.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..or maybe diabetics are all wnakers, who knows?

DrP

Rich – you could go and see the practice nurse to dip your pee to test for sugar.
    As people have said – lots of medical and non medical reasons for being knackered and drinking lots, but testing for diabetes mellitus is dead easy…..

DrP

DickBarton

Every 3 minutes someone in the UK is diagnosed with Diabetes and every hour someone dies from complications realted to diabetes.

Your choice…I'd go get it checked now before you loose your feet/lower legs, go blind, get a scracth and then get a serious infection and also go impotent.

The last one is very real and will probably ensure you no longer have a GF as she won't be hanging around to watch that turn green and fall off either!

Thing is, you sound like a reasonably sound guy, soif I were you I'd leave it a for a few weeks to see if it goes away…I mean, if your local pharmacy can't do the test then it surely can't be that serious…

Eejit…get yourself sorted!

ourmaninthenorth

One of the academics Dr North works with failed to take his diabetes seriously as a teenager. He describes going blind at 17 as "like someone drawing the curtains one day".

Get to the quack!

TPTcruiser

I have my wife's spare testing kit. Where are you?
    Lloyds Pharmacy have similar testing kits for about a fiver.
    Impotence is quite a common issue with diabetes in men, is that a big enough reason to see the GP? 😯

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can I have all your bike bits when you die please

forge197
    Free Member

I had all the symptoms of Diabetes but never realised, once my blood pressure reached over 215/120, my blood sugar was 26 and my cholesteral was sky high my body decided enough was enough and basically I managed to stagger to the reception in the Bellagio and tell Mrs Forge I needed a doctor.

The USA doctors were phemonenal if slightly bemused by my condition it took 5 reading, 2 nurses and 2 machines for them to accept my blood pressure reading 🙂 But they tested extensively blood, urine, ECG, blood pressure and diagnosed pretty much everything real time and were spot on.

I had all the symptoms and suffering the most horrific cramps imaginable that would cause bruising for 5 days, but because I was unaware and it didn't run in the family I couldn't see the symptoms as being anything bad.

I was told that had I continued as I was my best out look was a stroke or heart attack which at 30 would have been pretty bad.

I suggest you get checked out just to be sure as the down sides of the disease are very real, it also the case that it's treatable early and I am pleased to say 5 years on all my stats are very normal and all is under control.

It's worth checking it out at the GP for the sake of a blood test.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Can I have all your bike bits when you die please

Not much there..

spoke to the practice and can only book an appointment on the day. Will still be going to Lloyds today.

I'm in Southampton.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

o a lower GI diet. Ie porridge in the morning

when I looked up porridge its GI was 100, same as pure sugar…

forge197
    Free Member

For porridge it depends on the oats used http://ginews.blogspot.com/2005/11/low-gi-food-of-month.html, but it can be high…..

I find a balanced diet the best approach.

DaveGr
    Free Member

My best friend died aged 37 from long term diabetes and it's complications. Don't delay getting tested.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

err no I havn't I was going to find another pharmacy tomorrow….

you haven't explained your reasons for being phobic about doctors. Did one do a bad thing to you in the past ? My experience is that they don't get cross if it's a false alarm…

Suggsey
    Free Member

I was diagnosed at the age of 39 with type 2. Pre diagnosis used to wake up every morning feeling exhausted and constantly tired with boils errupting all over the place, catching every cold and sniffle etc etc etc. Since being diagnosed and treating it (now on Metformin) I am the fittest I have been in 12 years and 'touch wood' have never caught the flu/sniffles etc that the rest of the family are constantly getting. I know that life may be five years shorter for developing it and that within the next five years I will have some signs of diabetic tissue/organ/other damage but the flipside is now I dont let anything stop me from doing stuff that I always avoided as being dangerous or thought was beyond my capabilities.
    If you do get diagnosed with it MTFU there is always someone worse off out there in life just get out and ride!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I shouldn't have read this, bearing in mind I'm the healthiest person I've ever met, as now I'm starting to recognise symptoms (barring impotence 🙂

hypochondria: 1, simon : 0

Drac

It used to be known as 'Bulter's Disease' because the bulter was required to taste the masters urine. If it tasted sweet that they had diabetes.

Urban myth.

If you worried it'll take a few minutes to be test as Dr P says make an appointment with the practice nurse.

Frizzer
    Free Member

We didn't realise my sister was diabetic until my mum found her in a diabetic coma on the bathroom floor.
    I wouldn't hesitate going to the docs if I thought I had the symptoms – in fact I have been twice as it's just not worth the risk.

Drac

We didn't realise my sister was diabetic until my mum found her in a diabetic coma on the bathroom floor.

I take it your sister knew then?

Frizzer
    Free Member

No unfortunately she didn't, she was only about 12 at the time. She felt a bit rough but thought it was just a cold. My mum went upstairs to see how she was and found her sparked out on the floor! Her sugars had dropped suddenly so it was off to hospital where they got her stabilised and got her on an insulin routine. That was about 22 years ago and she's fine now as long as she takes her insulin.

knottie8
    Free Member

Im diabetic , found out by going to the docs with the same symtoms as YOU ! Go to the quacks …

Drac

So how did she go into a diabetic coma then if she wasn't on medication?

I take it her sugars must have been mental high.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So how did she go into a diabetic coma then if she wasn't on medication?

you mean the meds cause comas ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Diabetes’ is closed to new replies.