Di2 Yeti 575

Home Forum Bike Forum Di2 Yeti 575

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Di2 Yeti 575
  • dirtyrider

finally finished my project,

23.5lbs with tubes, need to tubeless the wheels, and have a 2011 pbr damper unit coming to replace the coil unit in the lefty, which should drop more weight

custom di2 shifter from Newbury Bike Park in California

tried to run the front mech on the yeti but couldnt get it to work

spec is

Cannondale Hollowgram SL Cranks, 32t e.13 Chainring and e.13 XCX-ST Chainguide
    Carbon Lefty with Project 321 Steerer
    Tune Hubs, DT XCR330 Carbon Rims and Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
    Tune Headset and Seat Clamp
    Edge Composites Seatposta and Bars
    Syntace Stem
    Hope Tech X2 Brakes
    SRAM XX 11-32 Cassette
    Di2 Rear Mech and Cabling with Custom Shifter
    2011 Racing Ralphs
    Superstar Mag Ti Pedals

druidh

Because you can, doesn’t mean you have to.

Premier Icon Leku
    Subscriber

interesting….

but the green and the turquoise really doesn’t go.

Premier Icon Dougal
    Subscriber

Given the handlebar/saddle heights, does the weight include the front grocery basket?

dirtyrider

i had a white heckler, then an intense 5.5 evp – couldnt get the front mech to work with either, then evolution cleared out the yeti at £649 couldnt say no and decided to abandon the front mech and run 1×10, bought the green stuff before i decided to try the di2 setup

front end height is deceiving, its quite low, the yeti only has a 365mm headtube

frame is an XS but still has a 16″ seat tube

im 5’6″ seems to fit about right as is

IA

Something odd going on at the front there – is the lefty at max length in the clamps or something? Ah wait, there’s a *lot* of spacers going on there?

I actually think the green + turquoise is strangely appealing…

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Sorry but that looks hideous in my humble opinion. Still, if you like it and it rides well that’s what matters.

dirtyrider

Something odd going on at the front there – is the lefty at max length in the clamps or something? Ah wait, there’s a *lot* of spacers going on there?

clamps are fixed at 137.5mm – due to short headtube i had to put the spacers underneath, there only 1x 10mm spacer on top and thats so i could run a 75mm stem, if i ran a 90mm stem i could remove the top spacer as the bars would clear the lefty leg

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

How the hell have you managed to make a beautiful bike look awful??

Sorry, but IMHO, & only IMHO that looks truly gopping.. 😐

RealMan

What is that? A lightweight trail bike? Why Di2?

Very confused.

psychle

I generally love weird and wonderful ‘frankenbikes’, but that really does just look a bit… odd? Very interested in your thoughts on the Di2 setup though, been thinking of a similar idea for my Mojo…

v10

I may be wrong but that rear calliper looks to be sitting far to high in relation to the rotor.

Premier Icon Rusty Mac
    Subscriber

Congratulations on ruining a beautiful frame.

It could possibly be sorted by fixing the front end, the lefty’s are all kinds of wrong.

Mister P

Flat pedals? Shifter looks cheap. I love Di2 but I can’t love that.

Premier Icon neil853
    Subscriber

Classic case of stw people going a bit Ott. Its an odd looking bike yes but its not ugly! Its obviously his pride and joy and fair to him. 😀

nicko74

ooof, not a lot of love on this thread!

I have to say, I love the constituent parts – I’ve always wanted a Lefty since I first saw one, similarly with Di2. But the whole doesn’t look quite as good as you’d expect in the pic. It may just be the photo, but the angles don’t look quite right – to my (untrained) eye, the head angle looks pretty steep, and the fork too big for the frame?

Just out of interest, how much did all that cost?

dirtyrider

i like lefties, wanted to run a lefty, purely preference, could have run any fork i wanted, cost me £300 quid, the 2011 pbr damper is costing me about the same, however im very tempted by a 140mm bos deville, and also the 2011 revelation world cup would be close if they didnt only come in taper carbon steerer,

im sure its the steerer that “appears” to be too long throwing off the angles in the pic, its actually only 195mm in length and the axle to crown on the lefty is about 490mm, the xs yeti headtube is tiny, so while the angle is probably off, i could rectify this with another custom headset,

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/angleset-for-1-18-headtubes-production-pics-finished-job

had that made for the intense 5.5 frame i ended up not using

flat pedals? yup, only do clips on road,

shifter looks cheap? possibly, shifter is the only option, its not a retail item, if shimano let me run the satellite di2 shifter without routing through the di2 road levers i would run that, im sure something will be available in years to come, until then, im ahead of the game 😉

cost?

dunno £4k? stopped counting after a while 😆

What am i looking at? should i be impressed?

dirtyrider

What am i looking at? should i be impressed?

nope, just sharing my bike like 100 other people a day do

nicko74

and how does the Di2 hold up in the mud?

dirtyrider

mud, dunno yet, not used it off road, only finished the build yesterday

seems to run fine judging by others pics

Mister P

Why would Di2 be less reliable in mud than cable operated gears? The majority of gear problems are down to sticky cables, Di2 eliminates this. It has been well proven in cyclo-x racing.

Mister P

shifter looks cheap? possibly, shifter is the only option, its not a retail item, if shimano let me run the satellite di2 shifter without routing through the di2 road levers i would run that, im sure something will be available in years to come, until then, im ahead of the game

There are bikes out there running the satellite shifter without a road lever. There was a Saracen Myst downhill bike on this very forum running that set up. So you are not “ahead of the game” in any way. All you need is a soldering iron.

james

“Given the handlebar/saddle heights”
    Is that really your ‘proper’ fully up pedalling height on your seatpost?
    “front end height is deceiving, its quite low”
    It really doesn’t look it from here

“if i ran a 90mm stem i could remove the top spacer as the bars would clear the lefty leg”
    For the sake of the bike I think thats what you’ll (/you’d) have to do, then you might be able to loose spacers, flip the step (lower the upper fork clamp?) etc ..

“to my (untrained) eye, the head angle looks pretty steep”
    +1
    “axle to crown on the lefty is about 490mm”
    That seems very low. What travel lefty is it? 140mm? 110mm?
    IIRC:
    Fox 32 QR @ 140mm = 511mm (or used to?)
    Fox 32 QR15 @ 140mm = 515mm
    RS RVL 20mm/Pike/Sector? @ 140mm = 518mm
    Magura Thor @ 140mm = 520mm
    Fox 36/RS Lyrik @ 140mm = 525mm

dirtyrider

im aware of the saracen, and yup all you need is a soldering iron true, however im shit at soldering and this was the only “off the shelf” option

very reasonably priced as well, shifter and a part modified di2 cable, was less than an XTR shifter

Premier Icon neil853
    Subscriber

What’s with people intent on knocking the OP’s bike? I just don’t get it?

Premier Icon neil853
    Subscriber

Double post

Mister P

So shifter is the only option, should be “shifter is the only off the shelf option”?

Don’t get me wrong, I think Di2 should be an option in MTBs and Shimano are missing a market by not offering it. I just hate to see people giving wrong information. I want as many people as possible to experiment with technology and push the bounderies.

mokl

Fair play to you for getting it as you wanted it, there’s some interesting kit on there. Hope you enjoy riding it!

nicko74

What’s with people intent on knocking the OP’s bike? I just don’t get it?

Agreed. As a whole it doesn’t quite do it for me, but it’s still clearly a heck of a bike, and I’m really interested to know how it works.

psychle

It’s not knocking is it? More ‘trying to understand’ I think? I quite like its idea/concept, but some things just don’t look right from that pic, do they?

dirtyrider

apologies its 510mm, its a lefty max 140 with “travel management” just popped and measured it, 490mm was off the top of my head,

bikerbruce

i think your mistaken as running di2 without shifters reciquires custome electronics….like the above,i think good project i just dont think its got much place on a bike that your going to not race.
    Bruce

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Did you talk to Fairwheel bikes about their Di2 shifters? They look a lot neater.

I like what you’ve done, but the end result looks gopping IMO!

dirtyrider

Don’t get me wrong, I think Di2 should be an option in MTBs and Shimano are missing a market by not offering it. I just hate to see people giving wrong information. I want as many people as possible to experiment with technology and push the bounderies.

where did i post the wrong information?

google “di2 mtb”

how many have done it? fairwheel bikes with that sequential system on the 29er, also them with the full sus MSC the year before, newbury bike park with the cannondale at sea otter last year (where my shifters are from), and Saracen with the Myst,

other than that not a great deal else to be found,

i just dont think its got much place on a bike that your going to not race.

why not? its the future, i’m just an early adopter 😕

bikerbruce

nick i agree…

kaesae

Assholes and shit go together like upset monkeys and pointless noise!

If you want to spend your time enjoying yourself and learning more about bike building, why not?

Considering you only just finished the build, there is a good chance some bits will get changed.

That said, if you like it and are happy with it, it’s all good.

😀

dirtyrider

Did you talk to Fairwheel bikes about their Di2 shifters? They look a lot neater.

no i didnt,

theirs is shimano satellite shifter spliced into the wiring loom,

newbury offered the whole lot, shifters f+r, full wiring looms, battery, battery charger for about the same as 2x satellite shifters, wiring looms, battery and battery charger would cost you from CRC

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Huh? So CRC were the same price as Newbury?

There’s people out there running Di2. The owner of Mountain Trax has had a Yeti ASR with Di2 for a while now, looks good.

It’s a shame you’re limited to the 11-32 cassette too, rather misses the point of 10 speed on the MTB IMO.

Not my cup of tea, certainly very different, a shallow Hal moment.

Not for me that one.

dirtyrider

Huh? So CRC were the same price as Newbury?

apologies my post is rather garbled,

if you bought 2x satellite shifters, upper wiring loom, lower wiring loom, battery and charger from CRC

di2 handlebar set – £82
    di2 frame cable set – £119
    battery – £59
    charger £55

satellite shifters are about £75 a pop

so thats £450 all in, before the work to customise the shifters/handlebar loom

it cost me £500 shipped inc customs fees, i was just trying to compare prices saying it wasnt “that much” compared to buying it all seperate

tell the owner of moutain trax to get it online then, the more people post, the more shimano might sit up and take notice!

It’s a shame you’re limited to the 11-32 cassette too, rather misses the point of 10 speed on the MTB IMO.

ive run 1×10 or 1×9 or 1×8 for as long as i can remember, not sure it misses the point, ive got 1 more gear than i had before 10 speed was available,

lagerfanny

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA 😆

Amos

I like the engineering behind it and the have a go sentiment but my god you’ve created a monster! I had a 575 and I loved the way it looked but that thing is stinging my eyes!

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Di2 Yeti 575’ is closed to new replies.