Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DI2 or Dura Ace on new bike?
  • compkiler
    Free Member

Hi there,
    Im about to purchase a new road bike and was unsure whether to go Ultegra Di2 11spd or Dura Ace 11spd?

What would you guys go for out of these and why please?

jonk

Erm this is a mountain bike forum… of to road.cc you go matey

TiRed

What is the bike for? I have ridden Di2 and it is very nice. But I’d go for DA9900 as I think this is the outstanding performance groupset. Teams were switching to manual DA, although the new Di2 uses the same electronics as Ultegra so may be more reliable. Autotrimming is really not so much better than ordinary trimming.

One aside, a racer friend complains of cold hands when using Di2 because there is no neeed to move them about.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dura Ace as it saves on your electricity bill

jock-muttley

Dura Ace the electronics in Di2 are simply not reliable in the wet, look at wiggins in the Giro and that yank rider on his first descent of the Alpe d’Huez stage last year THAT was electronic gearshift probs through & through … water & electrics don’t make for happy bedfellows

JCL
    Free Member

I would have mechanical Dura Ace by miles. If only to use that front shifter/mech that is a masterpiece of low friction.

Plus lighter, less crap on your frame, less hassle, more reliable, looks far sweeter etc.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Summer bike, sunny days, I really like Di2. Year round bike I’d go mechanical.

Edit: reasons… partly reliability, and partly because I find the di2 shifters fiddly in thick gloves.

dickie
    Free Member

Mechanical if it was me for all the reasons above, my 6700 Ultegra is very slick.
    And factor in crashing – cost of a rear mech or shifter in Di2 over mechanical.

sputnik
    Free Member

Dura Ace mechanical would be my choice.

titusrider
    Free Member

Dura ace for me too, i have a philosophical objection to having to charge my bike. Its a mechanical object

plus-one

Dura ace mechanical .. Less to go wrong and looks neater

howarthp

Having bought Di2 I much prefer the Super Record mechanical on my other bike.

Mechanical for me

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

DA

chief9000
    Free Member

For me the DA hands down. Its a brilliant groupset, smooth and completely reliable. A pleasure to have.

The Ultegra Di2 is tempting you as its the latest technology (lets say) but its a lower groupset.

My humble opinion and preference is that today I have to plug almost everything in and charge it. I have several drawers full of cables and chargers. I don’t really want to add my bike to this list of things I have to charge (yes i know the charge lasts a while, nevertheless i don’t want to do that).

For me the bike stands for freedom, heath and well being. I dont want to have to think about charging before I go out. Also, adding a battery makes a bike less sustainable and is a little contradiction in my opinion.

A cable is reliable and already does an excellent job. Why do we have to make it more complicated, expensive and worse for the environment?

easygirl

Will you ever be stuck in the middle of nowhere without a charged groupset if you buy dura ace. 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Allright, who *knows* where’s cheapest for mech DA ATM?

plus-one

Merlin-shiny bikes-ribble(last resort) all £1199 not sure on option though

njee20
    Free Member

Will you ever be stuck in the middle of nowhere without a charged groupset a broken cable if you buy dura ace Di2.

boblo
    Free Member

Blimmin roadies… You tie the ends of the cable together in a reef knot then limp home with fewer gears. Tssssk… 🙂

Assuming the cable doesn’t go within the brifters or ders…..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DI2 or Dura Ace on new bike?’ is closed to new replies.