Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Di2 good/bad? (Darkside question)
  • play
    Free Member

Does anyone have any feedback on using / owning Di2 kit?

tracknicko
    Free Member

used it. seems no better than well set up cable shifting, with the single exception of the auto front mech trim, which is **** ace.

baznav73
    Free Member

Been running a di2 demo bike at the shop for a few months now and it’s great very reliable and very slick and gets washed after every ride so it’s seen a lot of water.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A thread a while ago had those who’d used it loving it and those who hadn’t flaming it 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The DA version is very, very good indeed. Had a go on the Ultegra variant last weekend. Impressed.

crikey
    Free Member

Tried the Ultegra version; want.

If you have decent kit already, it comes in about £1000 for the conversion; front and rear derailleur and shifters.

porlus
    Free Member

Waiting for the Campag version. Then winge at the cost haha.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

bread.

Im hoping to buy a new road bike in a couple of years once I reach my target weight and it will most likely be the Di2.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It’s awesome. end of. justify the cost, now that’s a different matter!

For those that say it’s no better than well adjusted cables, well maybe when the cables are brand new but certainly not after a while, it literally is set and forget. That auto adjusting front mech is just ace.

Having said all that, I’d have it on my best bike but my road race bike is another matter, the thought of chucking a £450 rear mech down the road in a criterium would have me about crying, my motto is never race anything you’re not prepared to write off in a crash!

bikebouy
    Free Member

For the kind of riding we do it’s a waste of €’s, I use Red and it’s most excellent, always has been, always will be..but don’t let that stop you from buying it, stick it on an old steel colnago and you’ll be loved like the Queen.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Some of the pro’s at the classics recently, especially the sprinters, have been running standard DA rather than DI2. Its a little slower to change, but not enough to be an issue. As above, the self trimming, fit and forget-ness of it is great. Ultegra DI2 is also very very nice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Addn.. You’d be far better off spending the €’s on a bike fit, new shoes, better bib shorts, some decent gloves, and a.travel ticket to Lombardia…

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh but then you wouldn’t get auto front mech trim.

which i do believe… is **** ace.

tang
    Free Member

It’s great. Auto trim is brilliant.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahhhh yes “auto trim” I once bought a razor that would do that.

Bling for the inadequate IMHO, pointless unless your Cat1 or Pro level.

Reds been improved this year if you want decent reliable shifting, last years shifting has yet to be improved enough to warrant the money. Clean, reliable, easy to adjust, light, subtle.. Perfect.

Far better off carting your fat bod over some Southern Alps/Dolomites or indeed Massif Central in a headband, dirty white socks, snot covered upper arms and tear stains down your cheeks.

Fill your water bottle up son..

njee20
    Free Member

WTF are you on bikebuoy?

Red costs about the same as Ultegra Di2… Daft argument that! Why on earth would buying some bibshorts or gloves be better than Di2!? Surely that’s subjective.

No doubt you need a bike fit, you must sit very lopsided with that massive chip on your shoulder!

I think it’s very impressive indeed, I’d have Ultegra Di2 over mechanical Dura Ace (or Red) these days.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My AWESOME dectector has sent me to this thread.

What’s up?

alex222
    Free Member

never used it but if i could afford i would buy it. no doubt

mostly so I could look like a man with more money than sense

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve only had a test ride on it and found that it is indeed very slick and accurate. I didn’t like the slight delay after you hit the shifter to when the mech shifts though but I’m sure it would be something you get used to easily.

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh but it’s got auto front mech trim.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ve heard a rumour that it’s got an auto-trim front mech.

anyone care to comment on that?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Just bought a new road bike and swithered over Di2. Yes it is fantastic but I didn’t go for it as it didn’t really offer me a huge benefit. Mechs are right ugly.

whytetrash

whats battery life like guys?

crazy-legs

whats battery life like guys?

About 2000 miles under “normal” conditions so maybe 3-6 months for the average club roadie, about 1 months for Pros. Even during the TdF, they only charged the batteries once.

And no, it doesn’t just run out and leave you as the worlds most expensive SS, it gives you 25% / 500 miles warning of low battery and even then, it’ll stop the auto trim first, then stop the f/mech, then stop the rear mech. To run out of battery completely, you’d have to be a total moron and have to have been ignoring the low battery for 500 miles!

simondbarnes

The front mech is **** awesome with it’s auto trim feature. I’d have it just for the that. The rear works pretty well too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My problem?? erm..Myyyy Problem?? No problem. Go buy it, it’s your $’s you’ve worked hard for it buy what you like.

I just think people sometimes get all “must have” when new stuff comes out, like it’s some god given skill compensation,so my attitude towards it is, and will remain, buy it if you want to (it does have an awsum front mech) or buy other stuff that will make your rides more comfy, push you for longer, make you smile, see some sights, kill your legs off and blow your lungs out instead of fiddling and faffing with the latest “look at me dude” bit of kit. Red is all you’ll (we’ll) ever need.

I’ve ridden bikes with Di2 on, two mates who are semi pro’s have it, it’s nice, it’s a little heavy, but their bikes are underweight so it evens out, they’ve not yet had any problems with it, but both prefer the feel of Red.

I do realise that in 2 years it’ll be stock on all new top end bikes and we’ll all get used to it and expect it, but for the riding we do it’s a waste of money.

And I do not have a (Di2) chip on my shoulder, if you want it buy it.

crikey
    Free Member

It’s apparently got auto trimming on the front derailleur, I think you might change your opinion knowing that bikebouy….

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve ridden bikes with Di2 on, two mates who are semi pro’s have it, it’s nice, it’s a little heavy, but their bikes are underweight so it evens out, they’ve not yet had any problems with it, but both prefer the feel of Red.

The whole SRAM/Shimano thing is a different argument entirely, and as I said, Red is more expensive than Ultegra Di2, so comments on value are totally lost frankly. I really do not think that a new pair of gloves would enhance my riding experience any more than Di2, but each to their own!

You should try it again, the auto trim is good.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m really keen to understand this better. does the front mech auto trim in some way?

ojom
    Free Member

It auto trims in some way.

damo2576
    Free Member

It auto trims both ways

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What if you don’t want the trim?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Think “auto trim” as in a neat haircut, just on the right side of long, not too short, that perfect look you’ve always wanted.. That’s what “auto trim” is, that is.

It does it itself, so you don’t have to.

ojom
    Free Member

What if you don’t want the trim?

Watch what you say. It could be a kids face that gets auto trimmed next time.

baznav73
    Free Member

I don’t think there is any such thing as a skills compensator on a roadbike.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Hang on!

When the battery goes flat it stops auto trimming?

Thats **** it!

Im out.

imnotverygood

I’m looking for a front mech which auto trims. Does anyone know who makes them?

tracknicko
    Free Member

i thought i knew of one, but then it turns out he big S prioritise rear mech shifting over auto trimming in an emergency situation, and now i’m not so sure.

stucol
    Free Member

So this autotrim thing ?

I assume that means it makes you slimmer and more attractive to the opposite sex without you having to actually get the miles in ?

Where do i sign up ?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

baznav73 – Member
    I don’t think there is any such thing as a skills compensator on a roadbike.

There is, it’s called amphetamine 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Di2 good/bad? (Darkside question)’ is closed to new replies.