Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DHX air avalanche mod, whos done it & what shipping company to USA?
  • kimbers

Got a DHX air I want to get avalanched, anyone done it (other than Messiah 🙁 )

any recommendations of what shipping company to use and
    when getting it back will I get taxed?

cheers

Yetiman
    Free Member

I just received mine last Wednesday (and Messiah’s new Avalanched Float X 🙁 ). I bought the shock from a chap in the states, so I didn’t have to ship it out of the UK, but Craig used TNT and they delivered straight to my door. No messing about with Royal Mail which was a boost.

Edit: I forgot to add that I didn’t get taxed this time around.

kimbers

So ive got the enduro bike and been racing a lot of enduros and i wanted to get the suspension set up in full on gnarpoon gas to flat style

first of all price
    s/h dhx air on ebay with blown damper- £50
    s/h rp23 air can from classifieds- £10, (cant get volume reducers for dhx air, unless you shim out the xv sleeve, this was easier and the bike needs a low volume shock)
    avalanche SSD modified reservoir + postage £170
    import duty + VAT £70 🙁
    new decal £3
    so 300 quid all in which isnt too bad

took off my monarch rt (nice shock but needed extra rebound to stop it packing down on long rough descents and the sealing wasnt up to fox standard)
    setup to recommended pressures and rebound/lsc, 30% sag spot on with riding kit

initial impressions are very different riding around, seems very supple and a bit of pedal bob , drops, long sets of steps seems very nice, not bottoming out or packing down- this was my problem with the rt on long sets of steps), basically feels just like a coil shock

was worried about the QECP night enduro this weekend as it felt a bit too plush so i put in extra air, sag to 25% and a bit less lsc and a bit more rebound

so at the race- long transition climbs still feeling a bit of pedal bob

racing itself, varied from steep and mostly grippy loam to slippy chalk and exposed roots and some flat out twisty singletrack with the odd drop, seemed to go very well, felt controlled, took the of camber roots very well and no packing down! and seemed to accelerate faster out of corners

so for UKGE at inners next weekend ill be reducing the pressure back to 30% sag and a bit more lsc and less rebound, also run a bit less pressure on the rebound as
    and whack the lsc to full for the loooong climbs
    I think Ill have to run a softer as it was feeling a bit unbalanced, which is nice as I was running them firmer than Id like really

(sorry about the toast crumbs, I was supposed to be cleaning the kitchen but was messing with my shock instead)

overall very happy, with tax not much cheaper than an I can get monarch rt3+ but a fair bit cheaper than a float x or a CCDB air

really does feel like a DH coil, and I think with a bit more tweaking Ill get it perfect
    only real issue is that id prefer an LSC lever rather than a dial as its easier to firm up for climbing, and for racing a remote would be very handy, now I wonder if I can bodge one for the dial, hmmmmmmm

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/Fox%20DHX/Fox%20DHX%20Air%20Speed%20Sensitive%20Adjuster%20Kit.htm

kimbers

meant to say will have to run fork softer as it was feeling unbalanced

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did you get any fork mods done?
    Just got my cart fitted in my 34’s. Feels “different”, only ridden up and down the street so far but 10 days in Rotorua to get it dialled now. Just need to find a long narrow screwdriver for the LSC.

Service was also top notch delivered when expected. Fitting was piece of piss (I hope I got it right) but I think I’ll be taking some spare fork fluid with me to play with the level. Full report next month.

kimbers

stock Pikes at the moment which im pretty happy with (once I put the reducer tokens in)

Yetiman
    Free Member

Nice write-up kimbers, and very similar experiences to me. Mine bobs a little bit too, but it feels like a controlled bob, rather than a wallowy bob due to poor damping, if that makes any sense 😕 🙄

I spent some time on a demo bike with a CCDB CS air, and it had the same dull feel that my coil CCDB had, but by contrast the Avalanched DHX has a bottomless feel to the damping, but still ‘pops’ (I hate that word but I’m sure you know what I mean) when you load up in corners, or prior to hopping / jumping something. Best £340 I’ve spent in a long time.

Since fitting it I’ve thankfully not had to tweak it much. It took me a couple of weeks to settle on the perfect air pressure, I’ve added 3 clicks of compression, and a couple of clicks rebound to speed it up slightly. That’s it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What have you actually fitted it to?

kimbers

process 153, its got a slightly progressive spring rate so didnt need the extended reservoir, most of the time the shock was fine, its only for the fast rough descents that I wanted a bit more control so UKGE at inners then EWS rd 2 the week after then the Mega, so its got a tough few months ahead of it

https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/665438

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol that is a bit of a mincing picture 😉

kimbers

all the gear……
    heres one getting my gurn on
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/665631

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

I’ve actually got messiahs old Nicolai helius AM 🙁

I came complete with his avalanche DHX air. I was so impressed I bought a avalanche cartridge for my vanilla 36’s which is even better to be honest, stunning fork.

I have run a CCDB coil, this is better.

The bikes a weapon now!

I paid import duty on the fork cartridge, and parcelforce kept hold of it for over a week this end 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DHX air avalanche mod, whos done it & what shipping company to USA?’ is closed to new replies.