Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DH/trail SPD shoes – talk to me…
  • cookeaa

My current set of trail/trainer-ish type SPD shoes are begining to die and so I’m looking for a new pair primarily for DH and trail riding in most weathers…

top of the list right now looks like AM45s – seem like good value and a well thought our shoe but there are the other similar skate/trainer type shoes about worth considering?

the list so far:

Vans Warner
    661 Filter
    5:10 Minnaar/Maltese falcon/Kestrel SPDs
    iXS Judge

What else is out there?

Matt_SS_xc

I have the shimano’s, they are great, stiff enough and cope well with wet weather, they are my winter spd shoes – bit sweaty for the summer to be honest. Not great to walk in, better than my racey summer shoe – but to be honest is any SPD shoe going to be good to walk in!?!?

sugdenr
    Free Member

What size are you, I got some size 46 AM45s for sale

kimbers

ive gone to the 661s after years on the shimanos

they are just as waterproof (ie splashproof)
    just as warm and seem just as durable- so far (about 6mths for teh 661s vs 3 years on the shimanos!)
    i went for the 661s because they have a recessed cleat and i walk my son to nursery in them every day without grinding my cleats
    they are heavier but the sole is gripier, very chunky and easier to walk in also
    importantly for me they are wider inside too where i had to go a size up in the shimano the 661s fit like regular trainers

james
    Free Member

” is any SPD shoe going to be good to walk in!?!? “
    Specialized Tahoe’s aren’t terrible (They have tread unlike most skate style SPD shoes)
    Drawback being the sole is nothing like as stiff as a ‘proper’ XC SPD shoe, riding on cageless SPD pedals (eg M520,M540 etc) they are noticably a lot flexier when pedalling, can hurt your feet around the cleats too but mostly managable (have done hike-a-bike/bike-down between langdale-borrowdale like this). I find they’re better (less flexy/hurty with at least a semi-platform SPD pedal like the newer M530 pedals.
    If I think I might be walking something I use these, if not I use ‘proper’ SPD shoes

I believe there are better SPD shoes to walk in available (going by mag reviews from ages ago) though

My brother has gone from 661 to shimano AM45? He prefers the shimano’s. Thinks they’re better in about every way
    Id like some shimano’s, AM31 or AM45, but shimano 48’s don’t fit my feet, spesh 48s do, hence tahoes, sport/experts

sonofapitch
    Free Member

I’ve had 661 filters for 2 years now and they will need replacing soon with another pair.
    Great shoes with or without cleats.
    Oh and you can walk in them with cleats:)

cookeaa

Cheers all seems the AM45 is a fair bet but not an undisputed outright winner then? how does sizing work on them I suppose I’m normally a 45 in most shoes sometimes a 44 does shimano sizing still come up small? in which case sugdenr what you after for yours and how old/new are they?

sugdenr
    Free Member

Shimano AM45 Boots. Size 46. An excellent SPD boot, good ankle protection. Used about 6 times before I decided to go back to flats, so a few scuffs but otherwise in really good nick. £40posted

Shimano notoriously come up a size too small. I am a 46, but I had to swap innersoles on these for very thin ones to make them fit (originals are back in). So if you are a 45 normally then 46 should be spot on.

cookeaa

sugdenr – cheers but the pic you linked looks more like a pair of AM31 boots, I’m more keen on the AM45 TBH (natural successor to the MP66 and all), but cheers….

sugdenr
    Free Member

Nope, they are AM45s all right, ’cause they say it on there. They just arnt that god awful looking new style ones.

rewski
    Free Member

Five Ten Maltese Falcons look ace. And the cyclone.

messiah
    Free Member

The Specialized Rime shoe is tempting me… but the £130 price tag is hard to swallow 😕

skywalker
    Free Member

AM45 are excellent, lasted me 3 years and look as good as new.

kaesae
    Free Member

😀

cookeaa

Ah I see, I’m afraid its the God awful ones I’m more interested in. But cheers…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DH/trail SPD shoes – talk to me…’ is closed to new replies.