Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • DHR II Double Down 29, stock?
  • Premier Icon craig24
    Free Member

Anyone know of any stock of these? Struggling to find one and ideally wanted it within a week.

Or any other suggestions for another rear 29er tyre with decent sidewalls?

Premier Icon chakaping

Big Betty in Super Gravity version? Will be way tougher than DD. Maybe the Super Trail carcass is a closer match?

Premier Icon peteza
    Free Member

Just got one from Bike-Discount in Germany. Ordered at the weekend and arrived today, so quicker than usual. Guess delivery’s a bit hit and miss these days though. You also need to hit their minimum order amount so might not be an option if you’re just after a single tyre.

If not, I’ve been running a Dissector all year as it was all I could get during lockdown and it’s been pretty good. They’ve been in stock in a few places this year so might be worth a look?

Edit – just checked bike-discount and they’ve got 29×2.4 DHRs in stock in maxxgrip and in maxxterra.

Premier Icon craig24
    Free Member

Thanks but only after the 1 tyre so I won’t hit the minimum order amount.

Hadn’t considered a Big Betty, good winter tyre?

Premier Icon oikeith

Hadn’t considered a Big Betty, good winter tyre?

I used to run dual Magic Marys and tried the Betty in the rear last winter and found it to be just as good in the winter for grip and braking.

Premier Icon benpinnick

I have shorty v2 2.4 DD in stock of the Maxx Grip flavour if you want one/two mail me info@bird.bike

Premier Icon craig24
    Free Member

Thanks but think a Shorty might be a bit to draggy to be honest. Doesn’t seem to be any UK stock for the DHR 🙁

Premier Icon lewzz10

If not, I’ve been running a Dissector all year as it was all I could get during lockdown and it’s been pretty good. They’ve been in stock in a few places this year so might be worth a look?

This, I ran a DD Dissector for the EWS at the weekend and it held up great even in those conditions. Not considering swapping for winter (might go Shorty 2 on front though).

Premier Icon SirHC

@benpinnick when are you going to be the maxxis distributor? Extra are useless!

Premier Icon benpinnick

To be fair I think I bought these from Extra!

Premier Icon Northwind

chakaping

Big Betty in Super Gravity version? Will be way tougher than DD. Maybe the Super Trail carcass is a closer match?

Supertrail’s more or less a snakeskin with a bit more sidewall but no extra centre tread protection where for me they really needed it… so it depends on where you need strength but I got more punctures with one in a couple of months than I had with exo in years. Really disappointing tbh

I reckon Schwalbe have fumbled this redesign as far as the “happy medium” goes- especially since they’ve made the supergravity so much tougher and heavier now, which is weird since the older supergravity was bloody brilliant and didn’t really need changed at all. SG has gone way heavier duty while supertrail hasn’t filled the gap that leaves.

Premier Icon zezaskar
    Free Member

I think Schwalbe’s move to beef up the SG made sense. Its weird when you have an “enduro” tyre/casing in your lineup and then almost every single enduro athlete is running DH tyres. That’s a sign that something’s off about your product.

Premier Icon sillyoldman

MaxxGrip version due with Madison next week.

Premier Icon chakaping

Its weird when you have an “enduro” tyre/casing in your lineup and then almost every single enduro athlete is running DH tyres.

This is a funny one.

I know the Super Gravity carcass was really tough anyway, notably tougher than Maxxis DD (which I’ve put more holes in despite riding much less).

But I get the impression most EWS pros use DH tyres as a matter of course, just because they really don’t want to get a flat.

Also, I believe Maxxis DD and DH tyres are the same weight, but different TPIs.

Premier Icon craig24
    Free Member

Thoughts on Hans Dampf vs Big Betty for a rear winter EMTB tyre?

Premier Icon Northwind

zezaskar
    Free Member

I think Schwalbe’s move to beef up the SG made sense.

By itself, yep but like I say it’s created a hole in their range, supertrail and superground are pretty close together and imo more or less 2 slightly different trailbike tyres, then there’s a huge jump to supergravity. Maybe I’m just salty because the old supergravity sat pretty much perfectly where I want my rear tyres to be but it does seem like they’ve skipped one of the most useful parts of the range, the “normal person #enduro tyre”. I’ve stockpiled old model Rockrazor supergravities 🙂

chakaping

Also, I believe Maxxis DD and DH tyres are the same weight, but different TPIs.

This varies a lot, it’s kind of weird now- when maxxis started making the 29er dh tyres it really changed things up, they had to fight the weight so they went folding bead and a bit smarter with the carcass. But the 650b dh tyres are still wire bead, or at least some are.

So DD and DH for 29er are really pretty close, but 650b there’s a lot more difference (and weirdly a 650b dhf dh is heavier than a 29er dhf dh)

Premier Icon jedi
    Free Member

I’m trying to get michelin wild enduro magi-x front tyres but nothing for 1 year so far

Premier Icon sillyoldman

Not familiar with the Michelin line up, but is this what you’re after Jedi?

https://www.sprocketscycles.com/products/michelin-wild-enduro-magi-x2-tr-folding-front-tyre-27-5

Premier Icon jedi
    Free Member

29 x 2.4 magi x

Premier Icon sillyoldman

Ah…… sorry!

Premier Icon craig24
    Free Member

Managed to find these from BikeInn (took 7 days), they have both MaxxGrip and MaxxTerra in stock and will ship to UK

Premier Icon sillyoldman

In stock at Madison, so any shop should be able to order them if they don’t already have them.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.