Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 271 total)
  • DH World Champs – Norway -SPOILERS
  • leth
    Free Member

Kathy Sessler just posted that Ratboy is having surgery for multiple foot dislocations and fractures.
    Ouch

scunny
    Free Member

why did we only get 3 seconds of peats runs as well?

i guess there’s not much to watch any more. No doubt he’s the done more than anyone for the sport (especially in the uk), but in the last few years do you not think he’s been included in the Worlds team just out of courtesy?

unklehomered
    Free Member

WTF? Fastest with no chain!!

We run a chainless race, and are quite obsessive about chainless riding being faster (on the right course) anbd making you ride better. When Mulally’s chain came off I said to people in the room “He’ll be faster”, no-one believed me…

I so wish he’d been on the podium with that. Best Worlds for a long long time.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Fantastic world champs full of drama!

MSP

rather than this

Shaun Palmer was the most irritating man ever to ride a downhill bike, all the other racers should have just kicked the **** out of his smug face.

i guess there’s not much to watch any more. No doubt he’s the done more than anyone for the sport (especially in the uk), but in the last few years do you not think he’s been included in the Worlds team just out of courtesy?

He made the top 20, beating Danny Hart and Greg Williamson.

scunny
    Free Member

He made the top 20, beating Danny Hart and Greg Williamson.

He gets the occasional good result that someone ‘coming up’ would get, but he’s ‘going down’. It just seems like we should face facts and let him run syndicate and do all the other sweet stuff he’s up to, Bren might have been a better bet.

I still love Steve though.

MSP

Shows the depth of talent the UK has in downhill though when it can be discussed that a legend like peaty, ranked 20th in the world and finishing 16th in the world championship can be discussed as maybe not the right choice for the team. I still think he was the right choice this year, but can see it being his last.

scunny
    Free Member

Shows the depth of talent the UK has in downhill though when it can be discussed that a legend like peaty, ranked 20th in the world and finishing 16th in the world championship can be discussed as maybe not the right choice for the team. I still think he was the right choice this year, but can see it being his last.

I hope it didn’t come across like I was knocking him. I agree though that for some reason we’re completely dominating DH at the minute and i’d be good to give some of the up and comers the experience.

egb81
    Free Member

The teams are picked way before the event so doesn’t take into account late season form. There are a handful of UK riders that might be quicker than Peaty now but just not when the team was selected.

It was an incredible day’s racing though. Gutted for Ratboy and Hill but Gee deserved the win for being both quick and staying upright; to suggest otherwise is churlish.

billysugger
    Free Member

Don’t really get the Bren’dog’ thing. Seems like a nice lad and can do good whips but..Mike Jones next year please

mikey74
    Free Member

Peaty deserved his place in the team over Brendog on merit: I’m not sure of the facts but I’m sure he puts in better results than Brendog on a fairly consistent basis.

Edit: Brendog is an amazing rider, but at the present he is not a top racer, and probably won’t be until he takes his training seriously: Did you see that helmet cam course preview he did a few races ago, where he took over from Claudio? He was struggling for breath after only a minute. His team manager is fitter.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I hope it didn’t come across like I was knocking him

It did. But then he didn’t look at all happy with his race run.

jambalaya
    Free Member

howsyourdad1 – Member 
    Brilliant weekend. I highly recommend volunteering for something like this if you can, really cool to see the work that goes in , the track , the riders, the tech teams etc. I am a very proud Brit in Norway

Good for you !

Gutted for RatBoy as that would have crowned what has already been a breakthrough season for him. I’m pleased for Gee (2nd win I think) after last years dissapointment.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

What a race, gutted for the Ratboy.

Just for this on cycling news

The usual post-race celebrations were muted as Bryceland was carried off the course by teammates since he couldn’t walk on his injured foot. The UCI later reported that he was taken immediately to the hospital and would be undergoing surgery, possibly for a fractured metatarsal and one or more dislocations.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Slight foot malfunction…

😯

dannyh
    Free Member

Peaty deserved his place in the team over Brendog on merit: I’m not sure of the facts but I’m sure he puts in better results than Brendog on a fairly consistent basis.

Edit: Brendog is an amazing rider, but at the present he is not a top racer, and probably won’t be until he takes his training seriously: Did you see that helmet cam course preview he did a few races ago, where he took over from Claudio? He was struggling for breath after only a minute. His team manager is fitter.

Precisely what I have been on about for some time. Fairclough is (was) just as talented as Bryceland, but he’s just not that arsed and it is a shame. I’m not sure how he still gets pro racing contracts as he could piss most of the other off the park if he could be bothered to get fit. I’m afraid he’s becoming a ‘tits and ass’ rider who does a good video whenever he needs a few quid. It is probably too late for him to turn it around. Hearing him say on ‘three minute gaps’ (2010 season) that he “hasn’t got a racer head dialled in yet” after at least five years on the World Cup circuit was just a cop out. I hope he makes the decision to really give it a go. No one (or at least not many people) remembers a brilliant whip over a jump, names on trophies is what professional sportsmen are judged on.

Hope ‘basmati’ is ok, sounds like the kind of injury that could involve a lot of ligament damage and I think that would be the biggest concern from a career point of view. I wouldn’t have liked to be in his shoes (no pun intended) as he sailed up into the air over that bridge. He had quite a lot of time to say “oh shit” before gravity did its job. 😐

abarthx19
    Free Member

If you want to re-watch Mulally’s run on the redbull on demand jump to 2hr 56min.

Its interesting listening to the commentary as he heads toward the gap over the stream.. they’re talking about chains n stuff but missing his smooth lines and speed through that section. Then Nigel’s on about how hes still trying to get his tuck on.. then boom he’s in the green on the split and it takes a couple of seconds for them to compute. Awesome run! Gutted for the josh.. heal quick ratboy.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Precisely what I have been on about for some time. Fairclough is (was) just as talented as Bryceland, but he’s just not that arsed and it is a shame. I’m not sure how he still gets pro racing contracts as he could piss most of the other off the park if he could be bothered to get fit. I’m afraid he’s becoming a ‘tits and ass’ rider who does a good video whenever he needs a few quid. It is probably too late for him to turn it around. Hearing him say on ‘three minute gaps’ (2010 season) that he “hasn’t got a racer head dialled in yet” after at least five years on the World Cup circuit was just a cop out. I hope he makes the decision to really give it a go. No one (or at least not many people) remembers a brilliant whip over a jump, names on trophies is what professional sportsmen are judged on.

It’s not that black and white, at all.

Take Gee, he is a successful racer, fast as hell. Yet you barely see any GT’s at the races, or anywhere in fact.

Go to the races, there are Gamblers everywhere. All the kids want to ride like Brendan. That’s why he gets good contracts, because he sells a truck load of bikes for the brand he’s riding for.

It’s not just about being fast (which he is, still, ridiculously so, considering his lack of interest in pedalling).

andyr
    Free Member

Gutted for the Rat. That photo of his foot is not nice. But he’s young enough to bounce back (no pun intended).

Here’s the jump from a different angle – one bike length too far.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154535943505024 (not my vid)

Hope he heals up soon for next year.

Great racing though, was absolutly bonkers.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Well played Gee and Manon. Let’s hope Bryceland gets healed and gets back in the game.

It’s funny. As I was watching the reply, and he is smashing all the ‘impossible’ lines, I was thinking there has to be an injury in his future, as has happened in so many riders career trajectories. And then he mashes himself on the last jump of the season.

Sam Hill’s crash was pretty gnarly too.

mikey74
    Free Member

How Hill didn’t dislocate his shoulder on that rock I don’t know. He was lucky.

maxtorque

That has got to be one of the most crazy things i’ve ever seen! What a event. Brilliant to see UK riders dominating too on a pretty gnarly course 😉

wordnumb
    Free Member

Who was the Norwegian rider that went down just after the steep right-hand drop? He looked fairly beaten up.

There were quite a few crashes in unlikely parts of the course – which I suppose applies equally to Bryceland.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Oh, and I am gutted it’s over until next year. The coverage has been great, streaming on Redbull, Claudio’s track runs and, as much as I am not a huge Warner fan, his ‘qualifying chat’ videos are highly amusing.

legend
    Free Member

Take Gee, he is a successful racer, fast as hell. Yet you barely see any GT’s at the races, or anywhere in fact.
    Go to the races, there are Gamblers everywhere. All the kids want to ride like Brendan. That’s why he gets good contracts, because he sells a truck load of bikes for the brand he’s riding for.

Or maybe it’s because there’s barely a GT dealer network in this country after they fell apart many years ago

shifter
    Free Member

Ratboy blew that. Was he carried to the podium so he could make funny comments to the winner?

andyr
    Free Member

How Hill didn’t dislocate his shoulder on that rock I don’t know

His head broke his fall… 😯

Euro
    Free Member

THAT WAS **** MIGHTY!!!!!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Or maybe it’s because there’s barely a GT dealer network in this country after they fell apart many years ago

Not according to their dealer locator, there must be 150+ dealers in he UK.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Top pic from Pinkbike – Top Comment –

thats the best “ohh a penny” pic iv ever seen

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sam-hill-gnarly-crash-pic-2014.html

maxtorque

Nigel Page went pretty silent after that^^^ crash eh! The usual “curse of the commentator” struck, pretty much, just as he said “my man Sams on a stunner of a run, this will get him into the hot seat”…….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

shifter – Member
    Ratboy blew that. Was he carried to the podium so he could make funny comments to the winner?

Nope off to hospital straight away

Thats going to hurt a bit

lemonysam
    Free Member

Best race I can remember – what an awesome course! Really sad that Mullally didn’t medal, I hope he can take away from that and come back fast next year. Ratboy’s foot looks a real mess, hope it’s not going to take too long to heal.

rocketman
    Free Member

^^ the bloke in blue’s face 😆

bombjack
    Free Member

Some awesome riding down an awesome course. Brook Mcdonald was hauling ass, Hill was on fire until that rock got in his way, Mullally was just unreal and Ratboy sending it too long in the home straight was heart breaking. What a race. Whilst I respect Gee as a racer, Ratboy has the old school derelict rider thing down to a tee and was shouting at the screen for him to win.
    Congrats to all, the British DH scene has produced a golden crop atm and we should be proud.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ratboy sending it too long in the home straight was heart breaking

Was gutting. His run up until that point was sublime. Just looked effortless. Hope he’ll be ok for next season.

Great ride by Gee too. And GB women in the top three places too, top stuff. Manon for SPOTY 🙂

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Gutted by Hill and Ratboy crashing, both were looking so good but, to be fair to Gee, he ended up with a decent margin given how much time his stumble on the stream gap must have cost him.

portlyone

Brendog is a freerider not a downhill racer. At the moment. He was doing pretty good in front of Claudio considering he hadn’t walked the track.

deviant
    Free Member

Agree re. Fairclough, i cant decide whether its him or the Scott Gambler, no other Gambler riders do anything of note either so i’m incline to think the bike is a bit of a dog.

That said he does need to knuckle down now, he has a skill set that should see him on the podium every week, i thought it would happen once he’d had knee surgery but that has been and gone.

Re. the Gambler comment above, given it’s lack of results in DH it does seem to be a ridiculously popular bike among grass roots riders….maybe there is some truth in Scott keeping him on because he shifts a boat load of bikes….a bit like Cedric Gracia keeping his world level ride long after he’d stopped getting the results.

16th for Peaty in his 22nd (or 23rd?) WC is a great result but its time for him to take a supervisory role with the GB DH scene while he still has the respect of the kids he’s mixing it with…..nothing sadder than if he carries on and drops out of the top 100but seems oblivious to his decline.

All in all a great WC, Gee deserved that…people are talking about Hill and Bryceland’s mistakes but Gee dabbed in the woods and stalled in a rock garden and still went fastest…nobody got the perfect run, as it should be on a course like that.
    Gee needed a second WC to cement his place among the greats, he’s been incredibly consistent since 2007 but only had the single WC, good on him.

Patriotic hat on for a moment….GB is incredible, a clen sweep in the womens is fantastic and what a race to break through for Seagrave.
    Bryceland will be back, his style is so fluid like Hill, a joy to watch…Nigel Page commentating thought he had a problem at one point as he sat down and looked like he was going so slowly, only to get the fastest split so far at that point.

Cant wait for next season, almost make me want to go out and buy a DH bike.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Id like Gee more if he gave a genuine smile now and again. Although I did think his post interview was sincere.

Give me a scott gambler and skills of brendog any day, thats why he gets contracts.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘DH World Champs – Norway -SPOILERS’ is closed to new replies.