Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • DH tubes – all the same?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Stiniog DH day fast approaching and need a couple of DH tubes.
    £11 seems a lot of dough for an inner tube x 2 for one day’s riding – are Maxxis worth it or do you guys find cheaper tubes just as good at keeping pinch punctures at bay?

discoduck
    Free Member

I’ve been running Airwave ones with the green dustcaps for a while, I know the tubes help a bit but I’ve always found the pinch flat resistance comes from the tyre sidewalls so I’ve always ran lighter tubes and heavier tyres,

rascal
    Free Member

TBH disco I don’t want to buy new tyres for one day so will use my High Rollers for the day and go for thicker tubes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oliverd1981
    Free Member

you’re probably better off having 3 times as many normal tubes.

I’d agree withthe comments above re tyres being more important.

Apparently if you’re running low pressures talc-ing your tubes is crucial as it helps prevent hotspots between the tube and the casing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Apparently if you’re running low pressures talc-ing your tubes is crucial as it helps prevent hotspots between the tube and the casing putting a proper amount of air in will solve any issues.

FIFY

As above the better approach is DP tyres, I tended to find SP HR’s to be flexi as hell and prone to pinching more than some other SP Maxxis.
    After that have a couple in the bag if you want and change if you get a puncture.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I have done 100+ puncture free runs up to now at antur stiniog .

Tyres are high roller dual ply 3c compound with £ 3.50 tesco tubes.

The pressure in the tyres is fairly high compared with a more loamy course.

Invest in some good tyres and you will also notice the difference grip wise.

Enjoy your day.

falkirk-mark

I find it difficult to sort out in my head if you hit a sharp rock with a tube that is say 0.8mm thick as opposed to one that is 1.1mm thick that the thicker one would be able to take much more of a hit. i.e. little to nothing in it.

Northwind

very nearly a 50% increase, that…

I use Specialized ones, they’re not super-mega-thick but then they’re also not too heavy or expensive 😉 Seem to work, at least it’s a long time since i flatted (inc uplifts at antur and fw) Tyre is more important IME, a dh tube will still flat in a skinny tyre where a skinny tube in a dh tyre will usually get on better.

discoduck
    Free Member

I think you are pissing in the wind if you think that a thicker tube is going to offer any more protection than a thinner one,

Hit your thumb with a hammer and then put a glove on and see if it hurts just as much second time round, I’m willing to bet it does,
    High rollers will be fine, minions would be better, just run some correct pressure in the tyres, the HR front is a terrible tyre and gives little indication that it’s gonna let go, that said tho it’s an all weather course and offers stacks of grip.

I’m not sure what bike you have but I’m willing to bet 40 PSI will see you right,
    Try CRC for tubes, X10 airwaves for £25 mines been in 3 months and been all over the place, the valve came off last week at Dalby replaced for a new one, that’s not pinch flatted yet and it’s been down worse than AS,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think you are pissing in the wind if you think that a thicker tube is going to offer any more protection than a thinner one,

Well it does, but the super fat DH tubes do weigh a lot, when I used to use them you could tell when you hit the rim and it survived. Now I’m with the DH tyre normal tube camp.

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve been using the Intense FRO tubes for the last 8 years…not had a puncture yet…
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/11456/Intense_FRO_Innertubes_For_Racing_Only?gclid=CLb_4qawgbgCFVMQtAodBx0ADA

rocketman
    Free Member

Have been using Conti Supersonics on the Voltage since last year. At least 100g lighter per wheel than normal tubes that’s a difference I can feel

No punctures

chakaping
    Free Member

DH tubes in normal tyres can do a lot to prevent punctures IME of riding in the Lakes and Alps with that kind of setup.

If that’s all you can afford, do it. I’ve always bought the cheapest and the only punture I’ve ever had was riding over a screw in my back garden.

tomhoward

My 2 for £5 Asda ones survived 10 days in Alpe D’Huez 🙂

Maxxis DHF/R dual ply 2.5s

pedalpusher
    Free Member

It’s all about the tyres (DH tubes will help in some situations but they’ll still pinch flat). If you don’t want to invest in new tyres then you’ll have to compromise on grip by upping your pressures. It’s a trade-off… heavy but strong sidewalled (dual ply) tyres allow lower pressures which gives more grip, or lighter (single ply) tyres with higher pressures and less grip. If it’s just for a day, pump ’em up.

brakes
    Free Member

Hit your thumb with a hammer and then put a glove on and see if it hurts just as much second time round, I’m willing to bet it does,

that is possibly the worst analogy I’ve ever heard on here…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘DH tubes – all the same?’ is closed to new replies.