Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Devon Coast to Coast
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

looking to get back into multi-day rides, the Devon C2C looks perfect. 2 or 3 days, plenty of access to pubs, and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with dipping a toe in two different bits of water!

After any advice, links, inspiration (did I imagine Charlie of STW parish doing it some while ago?)

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

nice route , only really 2 nasty climbs , one out of Illfracombe and then the climb up to Okehampton , did it in 2 steady days, very nice and pretty route

ravingdave

I have done this route in the past. I did it in a day (and added a summit, highest point in SW isn’t far off route) for charity.

It’s mostly old railway lines for easy gradients. Lovely route very pretty and easy to navigate.

If you wanted to do it over a few days then lots of accommodation options on route! Make sure you finish on barbican in plymouth for dome great food and beet options

ceept

I did it on a road bike in October last year. A gravel bike would be more comfortably, but it was all well enough surfaced for 25mm tyres.
    I did it in a day & a half as my in-laws are just south of Okehampton so stayed there.

It bucketed down & had the headwind from hell on the North coast (you seem to follow the North coast for about 1/4 of the route).
    I found the climbs around Petrockstowe the hardest part, I was suffering a lack of calories though as their are a no cafes for quite a distance!

It really is pretty much all downhill from Tavistock to the end, its quite a busy path, even the serious roadies all seemed to have bells on their bikes. Not something I’m used to riding at home in Perthshire.

Dinner & beer at the Barbican, with a dollop of smug satisfaction, are a requirement when you finish.

It was very “type-2” fun for me, mainly due to the weather. I’m hoping to do it in a day next time ☺.

My moving time was 9.5 hours according to Strava, so you could really comfortably do it in 2 or 3 days lugging your own camping kit.

Squirrel

Did it a couple of years ago over 3 leisurely days with friends. Lovely route, plenty of cafes and pubs along the way. John’s Store & Cafe in Instow worth a very small detour (along the seafront). We started from Croyde (stayed at The Thatch) to avoid the big climb out of Ilfracombe.
    Used imaginatively named Luggage Transfers Ltd to move our luggage each day, and SMC Coach Hire to get us and our bikes back to the start when we finished.

antigee

about 10 years ago…with overnight pub stop and lunchtime pub stops pleasant riding as i recall

we took train north from Plymouth and was a bit worrying as 4 of us and on one section couldn’t book bikes…asked railway employee which end of train to head for and he said “stay here with me” train arrived absolutely rammed…rail employee turned out to be relief driver and jumped into the throngs shouting “all move up all move up we’ve got to fit these bikes in” a very different experience to most train travel with bikes

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Thanks all for the replies. Think we’re all talking about the same route, however i’m thinking there has to be a more, *involved* route possible? I know Exmoor pretty well, not much knowledge further south of there but have done some riding on Dartmoor which was great

So more of a best of, time to get the maps out…

Squirrel

There’s also a signposted route all round the edge of Dartmoor which overlaps with the Devon C2C. All on road or cycle paths so not very “involved”.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Devon Coast to Coast’ is closed to new replies.