Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Devinci Atlas – any owners on here? Or tell me about your short travel FS 29er.
  • djflexure

Looking at short travel FS 29er’s, frame only. Carbon Atlas looks nice apart from press fit BB and some tales of persistent creaks in US threads. Any real world experiences in UK conditions?

I ride a mixture of Wyre, Cannock, Cotswolds, Shropshire and Peak. Signed up for Kielder again but don’t race.

Closer to 1K than 2K, so no the following, carbon spearfish etc.

Part of me just wants to get a Banshee Phantom or Smuggler, even though they are probably not what I really need.

pigyn
    Free Member

The Smuggler can be built quite light if you try 😀

Smuggler Lefty

They are very good bikes, but will carry a 1lb weight penalty over a ‘light’ alu frame, and up to 2.5lb over a super light carbon (like the Yeti ASRc)

BUT they have a very steep seat angle, pedal well, and cover ground very quickly.

Having owned both a Phantom and a Smuggler the Smuggler feels a bit lighter up the hills whereas the Phantom is real stiff little big wheeled BMX rocket.

My Smuggler weighs 29.8lbs inc Vaults and a small mudguard, with 5lb worth of tyres (WTB Tough front and rear, at 1140g each 😯 )

The only thing that puts me off the Atlas is the slack seat angle.

phil56

I have one, it’s a brilliant bike, it really is, and for the riding you decribe pretty much spot on.

How tall are you? I ride lots of the places you mention and happy to let you have a ride one day.

djflexure

The Smugglers look great don’t they. I am tempted. Don’t seem to be many frames left this year – I’m a large.

There are a few Phantoms around and one or two deals but it is going to be a monster.

There are just too many things putting me off the Atlas at present (seat post angle is another) for it to be a comfortable purchase – especially given the fact that I don’t appear able to demo.

djflexure

I have one, it’s a brilliant bike, it really is, and for the riding you decribe pretty much spot on.

How tall are you? I ride lots of the places you mention and happy to let you have a ride one day.

I’m 6ft Phil. On paper it seems like a good choice. Just a big step without a demo. Are you Phil that had a Hectik?

pigyn
    Free Member

We have one last large Teal Smuggler for the year – the most sought after size/colour!

Another shop cancelled an order so we snapped it up.

Give us a shout if you want to know anything – Pedals Bike Care

Shackleton

I agree about the Phantom – it is a trail rocket, every ride is a giggle and it dispatches much nastier terrain than you would ever guess based on the deluded opinions of internet suspension travel experts. I pedal mine on all day rides in Scotland and have no complaints, but I’d rather have an Atlas for a map crossing jaunt.

The only thing the Atlas and Phantom really have in common is the travel. The altlas is at the XC end of trail bikes while the Phantom is at the very angry end.

A Whyte T129 or Pyga would sit somewhere in between the 2.

phil56

I’m 6ft Phil. On paper it seems like a good choice. Just a big step without a demo. Are you Phil that had a Hectik

I am indeed – just recognised your user name, we’ve ridden togteher before. If you want a ride on the Atlas just drop me an email.

The only thing the Atlas and Phantom really have in common is the travel. The altlas is at the XC end of trail bikes while the Phantom is at the very angry end.

Nonsense – I’ve ridden the Atlas in the Alps, Pryenees etc, and it’s more than capable. In fact it’s the least XC 29er I’ve ridden, mainly down to the short chain stays, which give very agile, almost 26er like handling.

I run 140mm forks (a spec Devinci only launched in the US) for more agressive riding.

Not saying the Phantom isn’t a great bike, which I’m sure it is, but if you want to try the Atlas get in touch.

djflexure

Thanks for the replies. I’ll sleep on it. I would love a Smuggler but the Devinci is probably a bit more appropriate considering where I live and my real world needs. It also sounds versatile. I have owned a Devinci previously and really enjoyed it.

Phil: would love to take you up on your kind offer. I’m swamped with work for a couple of weeks though. You give a very positive impression. Have you come across any issues with the bike? I would probably run a shorter fork in the first instance. Did you start off at 140?
    I presume you are on a large? How do you have it set up? Any problems climbing with the slack seatpost?

phil56

Best thing is to ride one and make up your own mind – I’ve had no problems. Email me when you’ve time and we can meet somewhere you usually ride.

Shackleton

OK, an Atlas with 140mm forks is getting into Phantom/Smuggler territory.

The one I tried had 100mm forks, nippy and nimble as you like on singletrack but no way was it the same as a Phantom/Kona111! I suspect the change in HA and going to 140mm travel would make a huge difference but does that come at the cost of the great uphill efficiency I remember due to slackening the already rather slack actual ST angle (not sure what effect it has on the effective ST angle)?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Devinci Atlas – any owners on here? Or tell me about your short travel FS 29er.’ is closed to new replies.