Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • Deutschland 83 – Channel 4 9pm tonight
  • richmars

Am I the only one finding this show rather silly?

No, it’s reached my silliness threshold.
    I guess they’re hoping old cars and a bit of nudity is enough to keep people watching.

dannyh
    Free Member

a bit of nudity

Yes, but what nudity!

DrJ

Am I the only one finding this show rather silly?

Isn’t it supposed to be a bit silly?

andermt
    Free Member

The Computer stuff in the recent episode was hilarious, and well played for comic effect.

Quite a few good lines, including the one about secretaries and Russian spies.

My favourite TV program for a while.

MoreCashThanDash

I only started on it this week, so have missed the nudity.

I’m loving the soundtrack, and the cars, and the whole “this Cold War paranoia was so wierd but within my memory” of it. My 12 year old would enjoy it as he likes modern history.

No idea where the series is actually going though!

globalti
    Free Member

I borrowed an Amstrad PCW in 1988 to teach myself word-processing and it looked just like those computers!

As I posted elsewhere (oops!) I’m loving this series; great images, colour, style, music, dead-on.

fooman

My dad had one of those IBM computers – one of the first ‘portables’ before laptops, 20Kgs+. Keyboard folds into the case and there is a carry handle on the back. Took out one of the floppies to fit a 10Mb hard disk. I doubt encryption was much used in the 80s, data sharing wasn’t really a thing back then, and you’d always have a hard copy as floppy media wasn’t exactly reliable.

kayla1
    Free Member

This is a very good programme. I also enjoyed ‘The Americans’ when it was on ITV4, looks like it’s still going but not on UK telly 🙁 Boo.

natrix
    Free Member

There’s some great stuff in this series, loving it.

Reminds me of Victor Suvorov’s book ‘The Aquarium’ about his time in Soviet intelligence. A great read if you can get hold of a copy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquarium_%28Suvorov%29

tthew

Was disappointed to see that they used a facelifted Citroen BX as a background prop in this week’s episode, 3 years before it’s introduction.

Granted, this fact is probably not going to ruin the series for most people. 😀

(I think it’s a great program)

tor5
    Free Member

There was a continuity error at the petrol station as well – as Stamm gets in the car, the pump is still clearly in the car, but they drive off and it’s mysteriously removed itself. Bugged me for the rest of the episode!

tthew

Oh yes. I thought that was a setup for him ripping the hose off the pump, then getting questioned by the general how he managed to forget when Stamm was stood at the back of the car filling up all the time the boss was in the bog.

Then the BX thing distracted me from it.

mtbfix

Just watched Gale(?) in Breaking Bad singing the D. 83 theme tune.

jamj1974

I like it!

nickjb
    Free Member

Great series. Can’t normally be bothered with subtitles as they change the feel of a film too much but this is working. Loved the scenes with the floppy disk.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Then the BX thing distracted me from it.

Just as well you didn’t notice the basic code on the computer that they’d written to display the encrypted document.

hammerite
    Free Member

The sub plot with Mum and gf (and baby) in the East, how will that play out?

I wonder if Annett will inform on mum for the forbidden books?

bonzodog
    Free Member

I haven’t seen any of this series yet.

Think I’ll be checking out 4OD later.

boxelder

A bit darker that one

ransos
    Free Member

There was a continuity error at the petrol station as well – as Stamm gets in the car, the pump is still clearly in the car, but they drive off and it’s mysteriously removed itself.

The merc they used at the filling station was not the same car as the one they arrived in, in Belgium. It bugs me that I’m sad enough to know this.

mrchrispy

yup. went dark very quickly.

votchy
    Free Member

I am enjoying it too but the thing that I find frustrating is the subtitles as there have been some scenes where I have had to rewind to watch the expressions etc due to the amount of dialogue, otherwise it has been quite good.

tthew

Poor Linda. 🙁
    She got well and truly shafted. (Metaphorically and….

owenh

Poor Linda indeed 🙁 She was one of the more likable characters. Bit of an extreme reaction to a cat allergy.
    Despite some of the plot holes I’m enjoying this. In some ways the subtitles are helping as need to concentrate rather than letting things just wash over me. (also using rewind).

leegee

The building/tunnel where he chases the bomber was the same one from Brussels when he bumped into Edel and the hooker.

hora
    Free Member

Not just me then

owenh

Managed to rotate 90deg while unconscious on the railway track as well I think.
    Regardless i liked the Worcestershire sauce segment and the comeback line “dont moralize with me while shagging you way through the West”.
    Is Bonnie Tyler on the Spotify playlist?

flatfish
    Free Member

I noticed both those bits of in-continuity to.

tthew

The building/tunnel where he chases the bomber was the same one from Brussels when he bumped into Edel and the hooker.

I think they used the same tunnel for the Carlos the Jackal scrap down which Carrie Matheson chased the bloke who was going to detonate the Sarin bomb down in Homeland a few of weeks back.

You’d have thought the efficient Germans would have thought to install CCTV after the first incident.

strike
    Free Member

Can someone please run me through the Carlos the Jackal bit as I was making a sandwich at that point and came back in to the see the bomb explode!

dmorts

Enjoying it so far. I suspected that Alex Edel might defect. There’s now potential for some interesting plots where neither Moritz/Martin and Alex know they’re working for the same (east) side. Also I suspect Moritz/Martin might defect to the west!

owenh

My understanding is that Martin/Moritz was being used unwittingly by Schweppenstette? to pass detonators hidden in the decaf coffee container to the bomber. Possibly an unsanctioned operation to heighten tension between East & West.
    Reading Wikipedia the attack on Maison de France did happen and Carlos the Jackel claimed responsibility. Given that Carlos still seems to be alive and in prison the person Martin/Moritz chased into the tunnel (reminded me of Homeland as well) must have been someone Carlos got to place the bomb on his behalf?

tthew

It was it bit of isolated random, (or at least didn’t develop last night)

The decaf-coffee canister contained a detonator that the East Germans wanted to deliver to Carlos. Sound’s like they had confiscated some from him while he was in the east, but were quite happy to see them used in West Berlin.

When Stamm arrived in West Berlin on the train he met Carlos, handed over the ‘coffee’ and almost immediately some kind of French cultural building blew up. Stamm saw Carlos running away and gave chase down onto the train tracks where there was that big scrap, culminating in Stamm leaving Carlos’s body on the line. Then he crossed to the East to donate his kidney to his mum.

I think that’s the gist of it anyhow.

edit – WAAAY too slow. And OwenH’s suggestion of patsy sound good to me.

ninfan
    Free Member

Reading Wikipedia the attack on Maison de France did happen and Carlos the Jackel claimed responsibility.

And it’s proven that the Stasi were involved:

It’s an interesting thing they have done with the story, essentially painting the DDR authorities in a positive, if slightly bumbling and paranoid, light, pulling strings behind protests etc. In the west – until you are suddenly confronted with acts of real brutality carried out by them

natrix
    Free Member

Managed to rotate 90deg while unconscious on the railway track as well I think.

Having watched that bit a few times I think that his head is on a thick railway sleeper, not the railway track as it might first appear. Therefore his body does not rotate.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Then he crossed to the East to donate his kidney to his mum.

I read that as “to detonate his kidney for his mum.”

That would have been a waste of a good organ.

kayla1
    Free Member

Feature length finale next week! Dan dan daaaaaaaah!

flatfish
    Free Member

Feature length finale next week! Dan dan daaaaaaaah!

I heard that but there 2 more episode in the run.

owenh

Two more episodes but they will be run back to back next week. Doesn’t appear to be any evidence of a season 2 🙁
    Interesting episode last night, Alex really hadn’t thought through the kidnap plot very well. Some good one liners around as well.
    Not sure why Kramer would have answered the phone in the brothel though?

crankboy
    Free Member

Training no radio no mobile his handlers know where he is so it could be for him , ringing phone will draw someone to it who may discover him and the others so answer it silently friend ids self or if hostile just cut the call and leave off the hook.

I have no idea if this is accurate but that’s what i made up when i thought why would he answer that .

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Deutschland 83 – Channel 4 9pm tonight’ is closed to new replies.