Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Details of the new Bird Aeris 9
  • daviek

Well I got a nice phone call today from Bike Bothy Pitfichie saying my bike had arrived.

Need to take it out for a wee shot tomorrow but as I’m still not right after having covid 7 weeks ago it’ll just be a spin around town to make sure everything’s working. Pedals not arrived yet so pinched a pair off of another bike to get at least the sag set up. See how the cycle goes tomorrow before I get more adventurous:)

Its having to stay in the house for now as I’m trying to gut the garage of years of accumulated crap.

weeksy

Mmmmm going against the grain here… but it looks well… Not very nice really. It may be exceptionally functional, effective, whatever you want… but.. It’s very Skoda Fabia in terms of looks/aesthetics. There’s nothing that jumps out and says “buy me”… Sure it may have the reach for Orangutans that many now seem to want… But meh, i’m just not jumping up and down.

singlespeedstu

Looks great daviek.
    Seeing a few Birds up here in The Tweed Valley recently.
    Seem well thought out and great geo.
    Killer value too.

breninbeener

I love it and i want one.

I cant see any dates for them being available again…

I am jealous!

Jamz
    Free Member

Mmmmm going against the grain here… but it looks well… Not very nice really. It may be exceptionally functional, effective, whatever you want… but.. It’s very Skoda Fabia in terms of looks/aesthetics. There’s nothing that jumps out and says “buy me”… Sure it may have the reach for Orangutans that many now seem to want… But meh, i’m just not jumping up and down.

Quite an outstanding lack of empathy there – well done!

I think it looks like a cracking bike and I hope you thoroughly enjoying getting back up to speed after covid daviek.

weeksy

Because i don’t like a particular bike ? Who am i showing a lack of empathy to ?

ayjaydoubleyou

Air Lyrics, inline shock and Exos, whats the weight of that thing Daviek?

daviek

Weeksy has said before he doesnt like bird bikes and that’s fine everyone is different. As for the weight I dont know but can find out, I do know is that its heavier than my 26″ Bfe though 🙂

weeksy

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that i don’t like what Bird are doing, their pricing, their UK infrastructure, but surely it’s not mandatory to ‘like’ them.

The frames, well, they look a bit ‘early 2000s’ to me. Bikes now are curving, moulding and shaping in different ways, with a bit more innovation in the looks. Sure the Birds may be cutting edge in terms of geometry, external cabling which i like and external BBs, again which i like…. But many things are sold in the first 7 seconds (according to a recent TV advert) and to me, the Bird fails in that department.

I find it slightly bizarre that a new Trek gets relased and slated on here, or a new Speciaized/Santa Cruz get ripped apart for being ugly… but somehow it’s wrong for someone not to like the looks of the Bird. Is that just because Ben from Bird posts here ?

singlespeedstu

I find it slightly bizarre that a new Trek gets relased and slated on here,

If you can’t see the difference between that and posting something as negative as you did about a bike someone has just bought and is excited about i can see why you’d be accused of lacking empathy.
    I’m sure all Bird owners will now be selling their bikes after such an in depth review and evaluation as yours though.

teethgrinder

It’s a thing he does.

Congrats on the new bike, btw. Looks very nice.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

or a new Speciaized/Santa Cruz get ripped apart for being ugly…

To be completely impartial here, specialized and SC have been making the same ugly bike for years which I think is (partly*) why they get slated so much. Don’t like the 2015 Enduro, turns out you won’t like the 2025 stumpy either because it looks exactly the same (I quite like the specialized aesthetic mind). Don’t like the 2004 nomad, hmm you might not be keen on the 2022 one then but… We can fix that, look we changed the colour to one that makes the bike 10% more expensive this year.

FWIW I do like the utilitarian look, and I am a sucker for an ugly bike in a good colour.

@daviek
    on the subject of which**, what colour is that?**

*mainly they get slated for being ugly because they’re expensive but clearly not paying for a design department

**good colours, not the ugly bit. I should put the spade down shouldn’t I?

daviek

@ayjaydoubleyou

if our bathroom scales are to be believed its 15.9Kg for a medium frame with some old superstar pedals on it

@dangeourbrain

its black, they only had the purple left when I ordered it but unlike some i like a black bike so they found one down the back of yhe sofa. didnt know what colour I was getting until I picked it up but I asked for that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sweet ride.

I reckon that weight is a bit over, considering the spec you’ve got.

weeksy

If you can’t see the difference between that and posting something as negative as you did about a bike someone has just bought and is excited about i can see why you’d be accused of lacking empathy.
    I’m sure all Bird owners will now be selling their bikes after such an in depth review and evaluation as yours though.

does anyone think the guy gives a monkey what i think ? This wasn’t a thread about “i bought a new bike” this is a thread discussing the Bird… If someone buys a bike and i don’t like it i don’t post negatiely in their thread, i don’t post at all in it… I leave them to be happy.
    But this isn’t that thread… this is a thread about discussing the Bird.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

they only had the purple left when I ordered it but unlike some i like a black bike

But but but, that purple is bloody lovely!

singlespeedstu

Yep.
    Definitely a lack of empath there.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If someone buys a bike and i don’t like it i don’t post negatiely in their thread

Patently not true. You’ve done it on about 3 threads on the GT fury alone, that poor bloke is so upset he sold it then bought another of the same about 8 times now 😉

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Dude, it’s a bike. If someone posted saying their grandad had died and weeksy had replied saying ” meh, elderly male relatives are much overrated” then yes that would be a major lack of empathy.

But saying he doesn’t particularly like someone’s pushbike* isn’t exactly the height of evilness. 🙂

* I promise this is the first and last time I will ever use this vile word

docrobster
    Free Member

Bird owner here (aether9). So I guess positively predisposed to the brand hence I opened the thread.
    I thought about an am9 when I bought my frame last June, but decided to go for the smaller bike. If this was available at the time I might have gone for it over the aether. But probably not as was looking to fit 140mm forks I already had.
    Regards aesthetics, maybe I’m less bothered or tuned in to the look of a bike but it’s about the last thing I consider… those initial 7 seconds referred to above are usually spent looking at geometry numbers and price. Brand image must play a part- is it something I’ve heard of, what’s their reputation? Etc. bird have an excellent rep. As do other brands.
    I only look at my bike when I’m riding it and then I can’t see if it’s ugly or not… currently got mudhugger fitted and covered in crap from yesterday’s ride so not going to win any beauty contests!

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Bike looks really capable and well setup for that area. Which will see hard use.

Guys posts his bike and you just jump his ass? We need to jump that POS celery trek (actually skoda weiner of a bike!) that will not go away.

ads678

Personally I thought the bikes industry had mainly moved on from swoopy tubing and was more into straight tubes again nowadays.

You look at the Atherton, or most Santa Cruz, Hope HB916, or most Nukeproofs, all have pretty straight top tubes and just a bend at the BB.

I like the brid up there, I’d have the purple one though.

weeksy

Guys posts his bike and you just jump his ass?

That really wasn’t my intention, i wasn’t actually aware of his post as it was at the top of Page2 and i replied when viewing page 1… But that doesn’t change the fact it isn’t a thread about his bike, it’s a thread about discussing the new Bird… Not HIS bird, or someone elses Bird… but just the Bird Aeris 9… Jeepers.

johnjn2000

FFs perleese can we just get to the elephant in the room here rather than beating up @weeksy (he is wrong by the way but that is fine) It is BLURPLE not purple!

lightfighter762
    Free Member

10-4. Just banter. I would buy his bike if I could.

v7fmp

i havent like any previous Birds… something a bit agricultural about them that just didnt float my boat…. but i do very much like this new one. I am considering a burly long travel bike for trips abroad, bike parks etc (rather than beating up my carbon trail bike) and one of these is definitely on the list.

ticks so many boxes… LLS, great value, awesome customer service from what i hear and the best bit…. squint slightly and it looks like a Rocky Mountain Altitude.

ads678

It is BLURPLE not purple!

Apoligies, but I just couldn’t bring myself to type that.

nickc

Looks a cracking ride @daviek, love the black frame/red forks combo 👌

daviek

Well I wasnt expecting it to turn out like this but being STW maybe I should have?

ticks so many boxes… LLS, great value, awesome customer service from what i hear

This sums it up for me and I can confirm the customer service was very good when getting the spec right for me and a couple of changes as parts came back into stock.

Things have conspired against me today so dont think I’ll even get it out for a quick lap around town but will see if I can squeeze one in as the rain has stopped and the suns made an appearance!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Things have conspired against me today so dont think I’ll even get it out for a quick lap around town but will see if I can squeeze one in as the rain has stopped and the suns made an appearance!

If you’re really stuck and it needs a shakedown over the weekend…

daviek

thanks @dangeourbrain I’ll keep that in mind 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Always happy to help 😉

If you do get out on it, please come back here and make sure you moan about it being horrible to pedal and things.

I’m pretty much sold on an aether but I can’t stop looking at the aeris in blurple even though I’m pretty sure a 160 travel bike is not what I want, at all, and it’d be very dull and make me miserable and always want to do things I don’t enjoy and go places I don’t like, and I’d be very happy with the shorter travel much more fun and interesting aether that would like the places I like and things I like such as going up to the top of a hill.

But the blurple one, its so pretty. How could it not make me happy?!? Even though I know that colour won’t age well…

chiefgrooveguru

I think that looks badass. (And weeksy’s opinion on aesthetics is not to be trusted because he’s owned plenty of Whytes! 😉 )

DickBarton

He doesn’t like it this week, but given the volume of bike changes, he’ll own one next week… 😉

Looks good to me, but I’m Function over Form…and I can’t recall the last bike I thought looked bad (although there have been more ebikes I’ve had to look twice at as the down tube has appeared out of place being so much larger than the others), my thinking is pretty simple though – got wheels, forks, bars and saddle strapped to a frame then it is good.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.