Design choices that bug you more than they should

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Design choices that bug you more than they should
  • The Red Nissan cube in that picture is LHD. It is the other way round on a RHD

Obviously didn’t read the Wiki right then. Oops…

Aaargh hols2 you sadist, couldn’t you wait till page 4 before pulling the Multipla card?!?

TrekEX8

I’m probably in a minority of one, but I think the Multipla is great.

I really struggle though to see how the Discovery ever got signed off. Did no-one on the design team ever have the cojones to say ‘Stop, this is ludicrous’? Committeee decisions at their best.

hols2

I’m probably in a minority of one, but I think the Multipla is great.

What about it do you like? I’m genuinely curious. I cannot for the life of me see how that got signed off and approved for production, but obviously the designers must have deliberated about it and thought it was attractive. I just can’t understand their thinking.

TrekEX8

I like the fact that it was a practical solution to transporting a family of six. It was shorter than most cars, not as wide as people thought (although the sides were almost vertical to maximise interior space) and didn’t bow down to the accepted norms of car design – until the facelift, when it became a lot more anonymous.

However, I’m a little biased, we had one for about 15 years, transported kids/many bikes around the country – happy times!

Gunz

I’m with Trek on the Multipla.  It was just refreshing that a car manufacture had appeared to start with a clean sheet to provide a very practical vehicle and then were brave enough to give it an unusual look.

hols2

I like the fact that it was a practical solution to transporting a family of six.

Sure, it’s practical. But the average dog turd is better looking.

CountZero

Indicators that draw a line with leds rather than flash.

Doesn’t bother me at all, I find it emphasises the fact that the driver has actually taken the trouble to use their indicators and makes it more obvious what their intentions are. But then, some on here find that using LED DRLs as a design feature offends their delicate sensibilities, poor wee lambs…

🤪

What does irk me is the practice of car manufacturers not keeping certain functions consistent, like electric brake operation, some you have to press, some you have to push, then there’s Mercedes habit of not having a separate column stalk for wipers, like every other manufacturer, they stick the function on the end of the indicator stalk as if it was an afterthought. Then there’s Ford, who choose to change their wiper function between ranges, some have the main stalk operate the front wipers when you pull it, on others that operates the rear wiper, you have to press a piddling little button on the end of the stalk for the front screen! Why, for Chrissakes? Keep it bloody consistent! I might be driving twenty or thirty different cars from different manufacturers every day, and it’s always a paint working out where different functions are hidden.

Murray

The Multipla is a design classic. Rather than much about with how sharp the folds in the doors were, they designed something unique and functional.

The back end of the new Disco is “heritage” which is a dead end. Jaguar design is so much better now they’ve stopped trying to make their cars look like late 60s XJs.

tinybits

Interestingly, jaguar land rover were retooling for a different rear end before almost anyone had seen quite how bloody awful it is. Not sure what the design team got but I assume, it wasn’t a full bonus!

can you imagine buying a wonky disco just before a better looking one hits the dealers? The depreciation will be mind numbing!

Premier Icon seadog101
    Subscriber

The Costa in our town has a Norman door.

Doors that open the ‘wrong’ way.

Tinners

I’m so shallow, that asymmetric number plate is all that stops me getting a Disco. Very able car but the rear end is a non-starter for me. I’m not alone and JLR know this and it’s only a mattaer of time before symmetry and aesthetics are restored and, yes, used fugly residuals will plummet. JLR’s “Scorpio” moment. It’s amazing that cumulative depth of engineering talent can be pipped at the post by a moment of madness in design sign off.

johndoh

Totally agree with the OP – the original was great but they ruined it all ends up.

andykirk

Back to the Evoque, the designer got it just right.  This car is meant to appeal to the nouveau riche market, hence Posh Spice’s advertised involvement with the design.  Apparently.

It is way over designed and ultra-naff looking, and as a result sells very well to its target market.

sbob

Jaguar design is so much better now they’ve stopped trying to make their cars look like late 60s XJs.

Not sure I’d agree.
    One of the nice things about the design of Jags is that they all look like Jags.  Going back to the forties up to things like the XJ220; remove the badges and you still know it’s a Jag. The modern crop of saloons, no matter how accomplished have lost that.

They’re like a Mustang without three vertical rear lights, or a Corvette without twin rounds. 🙂

Houns

I don’t mind that disco rear end

‘Indicators that draw a line with leds rather than flash.’

I actually like those, but they have totally ruined it because the indicator on the tips of the door mirros light up when the leds start. What should happen is the LEFs light up in line THEN the light on thw wing mirror illuminate like it is the last lights in the line. Now that lack of attention to detail REALLY p’s me off!

and horizontal shock on bikes definately look better…..but only if they are in line with the seat stays. Those bikes where the shock angle is different to the angle of the seat stay’s look awful to my eye.

andykirk

All Jaguars are usually very nicely designed.  Apart from the S Types.

Honda Civic – now there’s a mess.

Volvo used to be lovely but getting uglier and uglier.

Alfas always interesting and individual.

Oh and when did silver dash trim become popular and acceptable?  You know, the cheap sprayed silver plastic that scrapes off after a few years.  Has put me off buying many a car.  Give me nice soft matte black plastic anyday.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

I had one of those Fiat Multiplas. It was so ugly that I liked it. 🙂

One of the most useful cars around – 3 in the front, remove back seats and you have the perfect compact bike vehicle.

Not sure how many bikes you could get in the car below though… 🙂

hols2

It was so ugly that I liked it.

That I can respect.

fifo

Also who buys a 4×4 in white

Most of australia, IIRC

sbob

All Jaguars are usually very nicely designed. Apart from the S Types.

I used to drive an S-Type.

Should have got the XJ.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

I quite like the last Dico, it still looks like a Disco. Can’t quite figure out what your getting at with the dealers number plate positioning, in the second pic you’ve shrunk it so it won’t be a legal plate anymore.

1) Anywhere with sunshine.

2) The UN.

You’re not supposed to be precious about it and how well you colour choice hides the dirt. Although if you were addressing that question at the majority of 4×4 owners then FTFY.

Be honest, you wanted a Chelsea tank, the 50/50 chance it’ll rain at Mayhem or Jemima and Tarquins horse dancing and you’ll get to laud it over the plebs in 2WD cars is just a smokescreen.

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Conservative british people don’t like the Multipla. It didn’t sell as well as it should have. It’s a shame.

If projects like that had been massively successful, we’d have a much more varied and interesting choice of vehicles.

As it is, they’re all nearly identical.

We weren’t even worth bothering with a RHD Renault Twingo!

We’ll never have another Mini/Beatle/2cv/DS/etc if we don’t praise innovation (I’m not talking about asymmetrical number plates obvs).

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Anyway – on the design choices thing.
    iPhones – moving the power button to opposite the volume controls annoys me every time I use it. Very hard not to press one without pressing the other – especially when using Vol+ for the camera.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Design choices that bug you more than they should’ is closed to new replies.