Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Derby closed road circuit & MTB skills area @ Velodrome plans scrapped
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Been a few posts here about this and know a few people where following it with interest
    Looks like it won’t happen, at least for the time being
    http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Controversial-cycle-track-plans-Pride-Park/story-20812796-detail/story.html
    A massive shame

sprocker
    Free Member

An opportunity missed to do something decent and positive with derelict land, a shame

iain1775
    Free Member

More detIled article here- http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Controversial-Sanctuary-cycle-track-abandoned/story-20813042-detail/story.html
    Planning revoked so sounds like the opportunity is gone forever

tacopowell
    Free Member

Nottingham City would be wise to take this on board.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nottingham city and wise used in the same sentence? They’ve too busy ripping the place apart to waste money on the tram. There’s only so much money any one council can flush down the loo.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

What a wasted opportunity. Sad news.

tacopowell
    Free Member

waste money on the tram.

People using phase one don’t seem to grumble,
    A short term inconvenience which will have long term benefits for all.

As for Nottingham City throwing more money down the loo, not sure pinching Velodrome plans from Derby would be wasting money.

Onzadog
    Free Member

“long term benefits for all”.

Let’s just say, I’m glad not to be working in those circles anymore.

iain1775
    Free Member

Taco
    The velodrome is already about 90% built, it’s only the 1500m outside road circuit that you could ‘pinch’
    If you feel petty neighbouring cities ‘oneupmanship’ is worthwhile over the loss this represents to cycling facilities in the whole East Midlands region (but also to local wildlife which has now lost having more land dedicated to it)
    It could be built elsewhere in Derby, Moorways would be next best option but having it on the Velodrome site, adjecent several national cucle routes and along from a national standard BMX track made so much more sense for many reasons

tacopowell
    Free Member

Do tell?!

cp

long term benefits for all.

trams are a waste of time… quaint and all that but ultimately an inflexible very expensive solution with loads of dangers to other road users, not least of which lethal slippy rails for cyclists to fall off on.

anyway, shame for Derby not to get the track.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Let’s just say, it’s run by a company who are in it for a profit and the fares don’t cover that.

Very similar to wind turbines, nice idea, but the money doesn’t flow in the direction people think it does. Anyway, this post isn’t about Nottingham tram, it’s about the loss of a velodrome so my apologies to the OP for side tracking his thread.

tacopowell
    Free Member

it’s about the loss of a velodrome so my apologies to the OP for side tracking his thread.

Agreed, My apologies too.

Seems such a waste of land, I’m sure there’s way’s they could build the development while encouraging local wildlife,
    No vision of living in harmony with other life seems to be across all modern day developments.

iain1775
    Free Member

Err
    It’s not about the loss of a velodrome either 😉
    It’s about not having a closed road track outside to accompany the already 90% complete velodrome

mt
    Free Member

Well I’m pleased that the animals have been saved in the wilderness that is the wasteland of Derby.

tacopowell
    Free Member

It’s about not having a closed road track outside to accompany the already 90% complete velodrome

This makes this even more bizarre! Why go to the lengths of building a veldrome and not complement it track outdoors?!

I’m all for supporting wildlife but as mt^^ points out, its Derby, not Derbyshire.

dazzydw
    Free Member

I live in Derby, my family are all into bikes, can’t wait for the velodrome, and this decision really %^$!£@s me off. Ironic that the track layout was already an utterly compromised L-shape, to keep the twitchers happy, that it was almost not worth it anyway. The council approves it, twitchers lodge an appeal and ‘the delays’ are a nice excuse to u-turn. There are so many other bad council decisions that these nimbys don’t get involved in. But oh no, some cyclists are getting some funding for cool high quality useful stuff that anyone can use. They must be stopped. Save the toxic waste dump.
    Gits.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think this pic sums up the “nature reserve”

MoreCashThanDash

My understanding was that a big chunk of BC support/funding was dependent on that outside circuit, though I may be wrong

Anyway, think the council need to concentrate on the Assembly Rooms car park after last nights fun and games!

cuckoo
    Free Member

What a mess Derby City Council made of this whole process!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Derby closed road circuit & MTB skills area @ Velodrome plans scrapped’ is closed to new replies.