• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pb2.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Derby carbon rims – any feedback ?
  • pb2

I have a thing for light/strongish wheels and I am thinking about using these rims as a lower cost way of building up a set of carbon rimmed wheels.

The ham shanks seem quite taken by them but then again the ham shanks love Intense so I am playing safe and seeking real world UK or European feedback.

Any thoughts, comments,welcomed 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

made by light-bicycle – just go direct, light-bicycle.com

pb2

made by light-bicycle – just go direct, light-bicycle.com

ah ok and thanks, have you bought from light-bicycle ?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no, but millions have there is a big thread on here called “chinese carbon rims” or something

tomhoward

The ham shanks seem quite taken by them but then again the ham shanks love Intense so I am playing safe and seeking real world UK or European feedback

Whut?

pb2

whut back at you Tom — whut are whuting ?

pb2

no, but millions have there is a big thread on here called “chinese carbon rims” or something

Thanks DR for the heads up, most helpful, I have scan read all 17 pages and I am going to do it, I just need to find a decent wheel builder and then it will be all systems go.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no worries, i have ENVE rims at the moment, i wouldn’t hesitate about buying LB rims if i needed to replace them

kimbers

My lbs are great

Bird have some carbon wheels on the way too I think

Yetiman
    Free Member

Derby rim thread from last year http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/derby-rims

LB threads… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/light-bicycle-carbon-rims

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/light-bicycle-carbon-rims-whos-using-them

As above. I don’t have any experience of the Derby rims but I’ve been running a pair of 35mm hookless Light Bicycle rims since April and so far I can’t fault them.

pb2

Any one know of any decent mtb wheel builders ? It would be helpful if they were north west based but in the final analysis any where in the UK is ok, thanks Paul

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The guy who owns (runs) Derby is adamant they aren’t a Light-Bike/Nextie manufactured rim. Do they do a 40mm hookless design?

I broke a set of the 35mm wide 29″ rims (and a few other carbon rims) which he replaced with a set of 650b rims, which I’ve been using for about a month now.

Based on my own data, carbon rims aren’t stronger than alloy – there are some benefits/differences/disadvantages/etc.

There is also some absolute b*llocks sprouted about the increased speed people generated with running a carbon rim (probably due to a lighter wallet not weighing them down).

pb2

What would forums be if they were b*llocks free and in the interests of free speech one man b*llocks is another mans crown jewels 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Derby carbon rims – any feedback ?’ is closed to new replies.