Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Derailleur hanger tools – and bad shifting
  • BadlyWiredDog

Tool has arrived. Will be deployed this afternoon at some point.

Now you’re a proper pro 🙂

dovebiker

I work part-time as a bike mechanic, mainly assembling new bikes and even some new bikes need a tweak of the mech hanger, particularly some of the high-end group sets that need to be spot-on. I did a £6k bike this morning that needed realignment. The design of many frame hangers means they twist very easily

timbog160

My only tip – take your time, slowly, slowly does it – you really don’t want to snap that baby!

scotroutes

Can you set up a live stream from your garage/workshop?

molgrips
    Free Member

No live stream. You’d spend more time being shocked at the state of my garage 🙂

So the hanger was miles out as expected, probably 3cm twisted as well as bent. I got it straight to within a few mm (I think spec is 4mm) and it’s better, but still not perfect.

Ok so it’s pretty old Ultegra 10sp although the mech seems fine – but I’m now thinking about the shifter. It works perfectly except for around sprockets 3-5. So I’m wondering if the ratchet teeth in the shifter are damaged or a bit worn or something?

Anyway – tool was good and works, and like I say it’s helped a bit.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I found it started to matter more with 10 speed. Before that, I never needed to check alignment on a new hanger/frame, but then it started to matter. But these days that area of things appears more chunkily made than it used to be (through axles). Maybe it was/is mainly a thing with 10 sp and up with QR frames/hubs.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Has it had a new cable? inner and outer? that’s the next place to try after straightening the hanger, remove potential faults in a systematic manner. It won’t hurt to have a new one anyway.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Derailleur hanger tools – and bad shifting’ is closed to new replies.