Derailleur advice for a Rohloff rider

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Derailleur advice for a Rohloff rider
  • Mrs Militant is having trouble shifting gears at the front due to a thumb injury. She has to take her hand off the bars and push the lever with her palm which is not ideal when riding off road.
    She's ridden my Rohloff bike and reckons a twist grip on the left would solve the problem.
    I've heard of top swing and 1:1, but have never bothered to learn what it all means before.
    The front derailleur is a Deore LX and the shifters are SRAM X9.
    This seems to be the cheapest option to try it out. Is it the right one ? Then maybe we could upgrade to something better if she likes it.

Somebody must know.
    We're both riding Set2Rise solo next weekend and I want to get it ordered, delivered, fitted and test ridden by then.

I'm pretty certain that would work – she's using a SRAM shifter & Shimano mech already so the two makes are compatable.

clubber

Yes, that'd work fine – SRAM and Shimano pull the same cable for the front mech – it's the rear that's 1:1 for SRAM.

nope.. won't work. 6/7/8 speed has a different shift pitch than 9 speed.

I think SRAM do 9 speed ones for shim-shimaneego and I think they're also called MRX.. Not sure though!

OOPS!!! Edit.. ignore me please. For the front it is the same, yes. Sorry!

Ok thanks all, and yes it's just for the front, she's got no problem with the right thumb.
    I think we'll go for an X7 shifter though, as the front's on offer at CRC for £15.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5723
    I take it the advice still stands and it's also compatible ?

tron

Read the listing on CRC! It tells you so!

Left hand (front) shifters for Shimano and Sram are intercomptable (Sram XX may be different but we're talking mega bucks for that and they don't do a twist shifter either….). I think you're on the right track with an X7 shifter as some of the very cheap Sram twisters are a bit naff and plastic-y.

Are the current rapidfire shifters knackered/worn/full of crap? If she doesn't get on with gripshift it might be worth looking at a new rapidfire shifter. XTR front shifter + teflon cables = slickest rapidfire shifting available.

Tron, yes, I got that bit, but I've been riding a Rohloff for a few years and lost track of recent developments in derailleur shifters.
    I've heard of top swing/bottom swing, top pull/bottom pull, high normal/low normal, 1:1/2:1 and don't really know what it all means.
    I know I could do some research, but I just thought it would be easier to get an answer from someone who is more familiar with them.
    I didn't want to end up buying a shifter that pulls 20mm of cable when it should be pushing 10mm.

ijs445ra

May have an old X9 in the garage.

You can have it for nowt if i do, will have a look tonight if would be of any use?

clubber

Top/bottom pull is just where the cable pulls from (eg cable goes in from the top (top tube cable routing) or bottom (down tube cable routing). Lots of them (Shimano) do both so that's not an issue.

Top swing front mech:

Conventional/bottom swing:

Always go for conventional if you can as they last longer. Some frames won't work with a conventional (particularly full sussers).

1:1 and 2:1 is only for rear shifting. Front shifters are all compatible (give or take tiny differences that make no odds)

Willsimmons, I don't think there's a problem with the current trigger shifter.
    I've ridden the bike, both sides feel the same to me and she has no trouble with the right thumb.

GrumpyStevo, if you've got an X9 front twist shifter that currently retails on CRC for £36.07 going for nowt, that sounds like a bargain.
    If you email me tonight on aecmilitant.tiscali co uk I'll paypal you the money for next day delivery if that's OK so she can ride it at the weekend.

Thanks clubber.
    I've learned a bit from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derailleur_gears, but it's always nice to have a definite "Yes it will/No it won't" answer from someone who really knows before spending the money.

Willsimmons, I don't think there's a problem with the current trigger shifter.
    I've ridden the bike, both sides feel the same to me and she has no trouble with the right thumb.

Ok, just a query as I noticed that my rapidfires have noticeably deteriorated with regard to shifting ease after a sandy race. I too am a Rohloff rider so don't normally take my 'normal' geared bike out in the crap – just no need.

Sounds like you need to buy her a Rohloff!

ijs445ra

May have an old X9 in the garage.

You can have it for nowt if i do, will have a look tonight if would be of any use?

Sorry it is an old 9.0 rear i have, if you still want it let me know.

stuey

I've run a lot of grip shifts on shimano and sram mechs.

The sram mrx or
    X7 front shifter CRC £15 for would work fine for Mrs Militants – front LX mech.

Don't forget a grip you can cut down – 'lock-ons' grips lack choice but they do exist for us 'weak thumbed twisty types'

Thanks for looking Stevo. We'll try the front twister and if she likes it we may get back to you if she wants a matching pair.

Will, I'm in the process of upgrading from 26" to 29" wheels myself. By the time I've built up a race and commuter 29er for myself, there should be enough bits left over to build Mrs militant a 26" Rohloff hardtail as a spare bike.

stuey, I've got some Cane Creek short grips spare. I'm currently using Specialized's version of the Ergon grips. They're lock ons, but they only clamp at the outer end, so it was easy to cut the inner end of one of them short to suit the Rohloff twist grip.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Derailleur advice for a Rohloff rider’ is closed to new replies.