Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Depressing/pessimistic Brits
  • bratty

Just reading the thread about the Olympics going to Japan which of course triggered a general pessimistic anti-UK response. Why are we on average so downbeat and cynical… ok, it is good to be realistic, but too much cynicism is destructive. I could understand it if we all lived in Portsmouth or Luton, but what about the rest of you? Why the long face?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Who are you calling a horse?

Jamie
    Free Member

Just reading the thread about the Olympics going to Japan

I wouldn’t worry. That’s just cressers. It’s what he does.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chewkw
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member

Who are you calling a horse?

😆

oldnpastit

All the optimistic young men in the country marched off to war nearly a hundred years ago, and never came back. Only the pessimists who waited until conscription survived.

For the same reason, so I’ve been told, the people of Korea enjoy some very strange food.

Del

got any sugar lumps?

yunki
    Free Member

Cos we’re a nation of emasculated brown-nosers, fighting amongst ourselves over the scraps, periodically pulling on our boots to go and take out our frustrations on weaker nations, while the rest of the world looks on in disgust.. sneering at the way we try to cover our shame with pomposity

maybe..?

MSP

I don’t think the brits are pessimistic, its just the self deprecating/mocking is usually mistaken for pessimism. Far better than being a loud brash boastful bore.

chewkw
    Free Member

Actually the pessimism is a tactical approach towards something … 🙄

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I don’t think the brits are pessimistic, its just the self deprecating/mocking is usually mistaken for pessimism. Far better than being a loud brash boastful bore.

Spot on, genuine self deprecation is a joyous thing and ought to be part of the national curriculum, in fact all immigrants taking the citizenship test ought to be sent on a piss taking course, those who fail can be sent to the US

flap_jack
    Free Member

Hey, Pompey’s OK. Saw many a good band at the Guildhall when I lived on the Island. And I now work in Luton, which is only crap compared with the rest of the south, If it was up north, people would say how great it was.

tomhoward

And I now work in Luton, which is only crap compared with the rest of the south, If it was up north, people would say how great it was.

No, we wouldn’t.

samuri
    Free Member

As above, I think it’s actually an extremely complex and wonderful thing. It’s very rare you will find what we do anywhere else in the world and is almost always hugely mistaken for pessimism. Some American’s get it so I wouldn’t be too harsh on them but Europeans haven’t got a chance.

I’ve watched people being introduced to non-brits as ‘a bit of a tosser’ and ‘a fat knacker who smells’ which is extremely humorous for all brits involved and massively embarassing for everyone else.

…all immigrants taking the citizenship test ought to be sent on a piss taking course…

As an alternative to hospital staff killing themselves because they’ve been made to look a bit foolish by an Australian radio presenter, this idea has got some merit.

athgray
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WKSllUPbzCI[/video]

piemonster

The thing about pessimist is that they are often pleasantly surprised.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Pessimists are often proven right.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m always wrong.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just reading the thread about the Olympics going to Japan which of course triggered a general pessimistic anti-UK response. Why are we

So you’ve read a thread (on here I presume) which has caused you to start a thread moaning about how you have concluded from said thread that an entire nation must therefore be pessimistic…

Yer can’t be serious, yer just can’t be…

bratty

No it’s not just 1 thread on here (there have been thousands of other examples of pessimism on here!) and it is not p!ss taking I was refering to, more the general reaction to moan and berate ourselves that goes well beyond self-depreciation and into self hatred. To hear some people speak, you would think we had the economy of Greece, the law and order of Syria, the sporting success of Iceland, the climate of…. well whichever county which is too hot or cold or wet for you.

I think that the country may have some bad points, but overall, it is not such a bad place.

Having said that I am currently an ex-pat…. 🙂

mintimperial

This is why I’m a pessimist. It’s win/win!

And also because everything is terrible and it’s only going to get worse.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Self deprecation is not pessimism.

gears_suck
    Free Member

I’d like to be self deprecating, but I’d probably be crap at it . Is that pessimistic?

seadog101

I lived abroad for ten years, and been all over the world for my job (seafarer). Odd though it seems, the crapper the country, the more optimistic the people are.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But more often proven wrong. Things are always better than worse, but a pessimist won’t notice or point that out, will he?

Inbred456
    Free Member

After spending most of the weekend driving around South Yorkshire to find my Father in law a car I’ll gladly take the NE and all its foibles thank you very much. I know the riding is good but you still have to live and work there. Maybe we are all pessimists up here because the football is so bad!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Ah that ull be the do-gooders self-beating their nation in attempt to be even more ridiculously pc than they are already…

Just ignore em…

wwaswas

I find any glimmer of hope is quickly overwhelmed by the raising of my expectations that there must be something even worse than I’d feared lurking around the next next corner ready to balance it out.

grum
    Free Member

The weather/the media. Recently the weather has been decent and everyone has seemed pretty happy. When the media was positive and not full of misery during the Olympics everyone seemed happy.

In general this country is an amazing place to live – but there is a lot of whining about it.

Ah that ull be the do-gooders self-beating their nation in attempt to be even more ridiculously pc than they are already…

Yeah, thank god the Daily Mail/Express is there to give us a nice positive message about our country eh?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s fashionable to hate things, like an audition for Grumpy Old ________, best of all if you have not seen/watched or experienced the thing you want to grump on then all the better.

samuri
    Free Member

This thread is really getting me down.

Pigface
    Free Member

And I now work in Luton, which is only crap compared with the rest of the south, If it was up north, people would say how great it was.

You could put Luton in the Carribean and it would still be crap

grum
    Free Member

😆

Carry on believing that – we don’t want any more southerners up here spoiling it.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

You lot………….. dont know youre born ! 😆

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Depressing/pessimistic Brits’ is closed to new replies.