Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Deore vs SLX
  • mtbtom
    Free Member

Am in the market for a complete group-set, including discs.

Am I right in thinking that the gap between Deore and SLX is greater than the gap between SLX and XT? Looks like with SLX I’m getting a clutch rear mech and the servo-wave brakes that are similar to the XTs.

This is what I’m looking at:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m675-10-speed-double-groupset/rp-prod115086

And yes, a triple. How terribly quaint of me. 😉

drewd

The 615 Deore is a clutch rear mech, and I think the Deore brakes are Servo Wave, but could be wrong.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with Deore brakes, servo wave or not. Think I’d probably go up to slx on drivetrain though….big difference in quality. E,g, stamped vs machined chainrings and cogs…

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have 2014 Deore and SLX shifters and front mechs on 2 of my bikes (XT rear on both) and deore brakes on both. The SLX shifters are a lot better than the Deore IMHO, they just feel better when shifting (deore is fine though). Front mech wise, there isn’t anything in it. The SLX cranks are better as is the BB.

vincienup
    Free Member

I think it depends if you’re getting a big discount on a full group.

The current Deore brakes are honestly fine as is the front mech, I’d prefer the rest to be SLX myself, and tbh, I’d have the SLX brakes too as I’m a tart. M675 SLX has got to the point where XT is really more of an aspirational jump than noticable quantum leap – there are comments that Shimano have deliberately upspecced the SLX group as the rise in price of everything else used in building a bike meant they saw it being a far more likely thing for most people to encounter on bikes in the up to £2000ish range.

There’s enough bits of SLX that are worth having over Deore that a discounted full group probably negates picking and choosing. There’s only about £60 in it between M615 and M675 at Ribble for a full group (although they’re out of SLX) and about £75 between the same groups at CRC although they’re cheaper for both.

steve_b77
    Free Member

On my ht I’ve got a deore 615 shifter, rear mech with RADr cage and brakes (they are servo wave) and to be honest it’s as good as SLX, which I had on my FS (before I sold it) the only real difference is weight.

On XT rears you get the nice bearings in the jockey wheels, so that’s worth the extra, but I had spare ones of them anyway so out them in.

tomd
    Free Member

I was in a similar dilemma last year and got a full SLX, mostly for reasons of OCD. However, those 51% off things that CRC etc claim can be a bit misleading vs just picking the bits pick and match. I was doing it again I’d get this (as that’s pretty much what I’ve ended up with):

SLX cranks (good performance and durable finish)
    XT rear mech (comes with decent jockey wheels and seems to last well vs SLX)
    Deore brakes (just work)
    Deore front mech (just works and even the good ones get crusty after a bit)
    Deore cassette & chain (on the basis they’ll be the 1st to be replaced)

mtbtom
    Free Member

Ace – thanks for the tips everyone. 🙂

Will do some pick+mixing and see what it comes to.

benpinnick

Quick idiots guide (AFAIK last time of checking)

Brakes – Deore levers = SLX levers without the reach adjust dial. SLX Calipers = XT callipers.
    Shifters – All different, Deore and SLX build is the same, while XT is nicer. More release options as you go basically.
    Front mech, all similar, SLX and XT are the same bar a badge.
    cranks – arms are all different, Deore is cold forged, SLX and XT hollow forged. SLX shares inner and middle with XT.
    rr Mechs – deore and SLX are basically the same.
    Chains – Deore & SLX are the same but SLX has siltec. XT is lighter and has more chamfers and siltec.

perthmtb
    Free Member

My advice, based on experience with various Deore, SLX and XT parts over the years, is to do the opposite of what they spec on new bikes, where they put the expensive bits where people notice them in the showroom rather than where it counts out riding!
    Cranks – SLX
    Front & rear mechs – Deore
    Brakes – Deore
    Shifters – XT (have multi-release, and ball bearing races rather than nylon bushings)
    Chain & cassette – Deore (unless you live near the coast in which case get a chain that’s completely nickel plated for corrosion protection like KMC, SRAM, or XTR)
    BB – XTR if you will ride in grit & mud as it’s better sealed, or for dry conditions anything.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Deore vs SLX’ is closed to new replies.