Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Deore 10/11-speed rear mech?
  • BadlyWiredDog

I’m wiling away my endless long covid convalescence pointlessly building bikes that I can’t actually ride yet. So, I’m putting together a(nother) Sonder Transmitter and building it 1×10, because that suits the spare bits I have – everything except a rear mech – and finding it hard to source a suitable 10-speed, long cage one.

What’s the deal with the Shimano 10/11-speed Deore rear mech? Does it just do what it appears to say on the can and work with either Shimano 10 or 11-speed shifters or is there more to it than that? I have a 10-speed Zee shifter and, I think, an 11-42 Sunrace cassette, should it work with that?

Your faithfully,

Confused of Plague Town

nickjb
    Free Member

An 11 speed mech works with a 10 speed shifter and cassette plus you get the better pivot position to accommodate >40 tooth sprockets

confused58

Yes, I use medium cage 11spd Shimano mechs with 10 speed Sunrase 11-46 cassettes and Zee shifters

BadlyWiredDog

So basically I could use any 11-speed Shimano mech with my existing 10-speed shifter / cassette. Awesome. Thanks both 🙂

dc1988

Yes, I’m running 10 speed cassette and shifter with an 11 speed mech and chain.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Also you can use 12 speed mechs either sram or shimano

Best to use a mech that has the max tooth capacity for your cassette like the deore mentioned

captainclunkz
    Free Member

If you are in need of a rear mech I have a slx 10 speed one that is fairly scratched and scuffed. You can have it for free if you want it.

alan1977
    Free Member

if you need a setup, ive got a mech, shifter and 11/42 deore cassette and chain that came off my levarg
    https://www.saracen.co.uk/bike/levarg-fb
    has less than 50 miles on it
    havent put it up for sale yet because lazy
    doubt you’d want the crank bb and chain ring, saracens own single 44 tooth square taper
    but thats there too

tomaso
    Free Member

Deore M6000 and a 10 speed Sunrace cassette on my Sher0a works a treat. I sometimes wonder why I bother with 12 speed.

BadlyWiredDog

Thanks for the offers, really appreciated, but have everything I need apart from the mech and I quite fancy having a new one for once 🙂

And yes, I’ve been running 1×10 for a few years now and can’t really be bothered with the faff and expense of going 1×12 – that said, in my post-plague state, I’ll probably end up on an e-bike anyway 🙁

akkwlsk
    Free Member

Actually, deore m6000 10 speed mech works great with 11 speed cassette (11-46) and shifter, and is cheaper.

belgianwaffle1

The deore m5120 derialleur works well and I have had no problems with shifting in my first few rides with it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.