Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dentists of STW, can you fill me in?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Trivial but irritating problem (for me).

For some reason, in the past few months a slightly larger gap than was there previously has opened up between my 1st and 2nd molars (7 and 8) on my left lower jaw.

No matter what I eat, a chunk of food now gets trapped there, meaning I need to floss/interdental brush immediately after eating.

Is there a fix for this, like some kind of infill or something?

Trivial, but as I say, irritating!

funkmasterp

I’ve had large gaps appear between quite a few of my teeth over the last 12 months or so. Occasionally get the inside of my lip caught in one of them. Is it an age thing, gums receding? Never been that bothered by looks but would definitely be interested in a fix

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Happened to me when a corner of my tooth broke off. Was just filled. In my case my teeth are all contacting each other and is quite tight. I struggle to floss as I can’t get the thread down between the teeth so use those little pipe cleaner things and dab in some toothpaste.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Ah, gums receding…..could well be that. I’m very much at that age, thanks FMP. Same as you, couldn’t care about looks, its just annoying.

WS- from what I can see the tooth looks intact.

ceepers

Best thing to do is see a dentist!

Teeth do move as you get older, generally but not always it’s from the back towards the front ( it’s called mesial drift ) so it’s possible that’s the reason.

However, if you have gum disease ( not gum recession as that’s not the same thing ) it means that the ligament that holds your teeth in the jaw is being destroyed and while this is often a symptomless process, teeth drifting around can be a sign. You need to rule this out as ultimately it can lead to multiple teeth being lost.

Finally you could have a small hole in between in one or both of those teeth. It wouldn’t necessarily be visible to the layman’s naked eye. Again a dentist can check this visually and with an x- ray.

The remedy depends on the cause and runs from you just have to put up with it and keep it clean to filling, or a cap/ crown to you need your gum disease sorting out.

Like I said, get a check up!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Will do mesial, thanks!

onehundredthidiot

I have the same but caused by high speed drill when dentist was given a scale and polish.

ceepers

Ummm that might be what you believe but it’s not actually true is it?

No dentist will use a high speed drill for a scale and polish. Nor would they be putting any drill between two teeth unless they are intending to place some kind of restoration afterwards.

It’s possible that a dentist may have accidentally damaged an adjacent tooth while doing a filling but contrary to internet belief there are far fewer cowboy dentists than people who believe it’s all the dentists fault.

But hey I’m sure you’re one of the unfortunate exceptions…..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dentists of STW, can you fill me in?’ is closed to new replies.