Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Dented top tube. Scrap frame?
  • nickliv

I had an off on my swift the other day, and on closer inspection I’ve dented my top tube. About 3cm long and 3 or 4 mm deep. There is cracking to the paint as well, but this is the least of my worries.

I know it’s steel, can it be repaired? I’m keen on the bike, but not keen on it folding in half on me.

MrTricky
    Free Member

I did similar on a cross-check – SUrly said that the tubes were substantial enough that I shouldn’t worry. Some framebuilders (Argos I think) will fill dents when they repaint, which may provide peace of mind.

razorrazoo

I did this a couple of years ago on an Alu frame, consensus on this forum then was fill with JB Weld and finish as required. I did this, smooth sanded and popped a sticker over it. I haven’t died yet.

Did take it to a Genesis dealer and send picks to Genesis who didn’t say it was an instant bin job.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll be fine unless its right by the head tube.

Bez

If you’ve got a crease running vertically it might be a problem. Otherwise it’s probably not. But it depends. Sounds largish. Got pics?

philjunior
    Free Member

Well, you’re giving it a location to start buckling from, but will it start buckling? Cracking (of the tube – the paint cracking just means you’ve bent it more than the paint can take) shouldn’t be an issue as it’s generally under compression.

Can’t say what I’d do without seeing it really. But in a worst case, a dent will act like you have a hole the same size, would that take away much of the load capacity of the member? FWIW I’ve ridden with top tube dented frames (similar or smaller dent than yours) which have variously been stolen, or cracked elsewhere. And I’ve quite a deep but only about 1cm dent next to a BB (right on the weld) which happened 10 years ago on a frame I still use. Your frame may vary.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What Phil said, I’ve had dents of some size or other on almost every bikes top tube!

Depends how big it is, and where it is, and TBH it’s still only ever going to be a matter of opinion! I’ve seen frames with dents that really should have scrapped them IMO, and bought other frames for peanuts with dents you could hardly see because the previous owner didn’t want it anymore!

simondbarnes

I’d just carry on riding it. If you’re worried then get the top tube replaced.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d just carry on riding it. If you’re worried then get the top tube replaced.

I was pondering the other day, assuming you used the right preparation, could you just do a quick and dirty job with some carbon fibre and epoxy? As long as you could bond the epoxy strongly enough to the frame that it wasn’t being delaminated as the two materials flexed then it should work just fine.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I did the same on my Genesis Day one frame when I lost my temper and threw it into a bush. Did many thousands of miles on it afterwards, as did my mate who I sold it on to. It now makes a nice ornament in his garden.

funkmasterp

I did the same on my Genesis Day one frame when I lost my temper and threw it into a bush.

Did the bush survive?

I dented the top tube on a Transition Trans AM during a brilliant high speed OTB. Never even thought about it really and rode it as normal

drob59
    Free Member

Dented the top tube on my 1959 Ellis Briggs road bike in 1975. Still riding it.

nickliv

So it appears I’m overthinking it a little bit.

I shall continue to ride it, as riding it makes me happy.

funkmasterp

Once more I search for the like button 👍🏼

simondbarnes

I was pondering the other day, assuming you used the right preparation, could you just do a quick and dirty job with some carbon fibre and epoxy? As long as you could bond the epoxy strongly enough to the frame that it wasn’t being delaminated as the two materials flexed then it should work just fine.

I think you’d probably need a spoon as well

(Yes, I know that it wasn’t a spoon Al )

timba
    Free Member

Depends where it is and how big, but I’m told that for a steel frame a decent repair can be made with some braze and refinish

shotaway
    Free Member

Dented top tube isn’t a good thing you know how a empty coke can can support you whole body weight then crush it a little and it collapses… Steel.bikes can have very thin walls away from the lugs and thicker at the lug connections… or it could be made from heavy guage steam pipe

It will most likely be ok… But dented.tube is never a good thing… I work and weld.tubes every day….

Andy-R

If it’s not a sharp-edged dent then it might roll out quite well. I did this with a Hummingbird frame a few years ago and never worried about it again.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Got a dent in my puffin frame on the top tube. Put a sticker over it and that’s fixed it as I can’t see it. Only remembered it was there when I read this thread! Taken some big hits and it hasn’t snapped yet. Thing with steel is it tends to bend quite a lot before it snaps. Usually.

blacklabbikes
    Free Member

it’ll probably be fine. Of course, you could get the tube replaced…

chiefgrooveguru

I put a dent in the top tube of my Zero AM with my knee. I’ve worn knee pads a lot more since then!

damascus
    Free Member

Without a picture I can’t give a serious comment so I’ll default to this

Fill the hole with something like sugru, put a Sticker over it and forget about it.

Or wrap it in that carbon steal stuff that’s been on the other thread. It’s supposed to make it stronger than the original.

If you really like the frame, send it to a professional to repair or replace

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’ve a 2008ish yeti ASR with a big top tube dent near the suspension mount. Seems okay.

I’d guess that unless you’re a total hucker, it will be possible to see if it starts to get worse and just stop riding it.

Many steel frames can also be chopped up and have new tubes inserted.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I did the same on my Genesis Day one frame when I lost my temper and threw it into a bush.

Did the bush survive?

Yes it did. As did the big boulder hidden in the middle of it.

nickliv

Cheers all.

I’m going to try rolling the dent out myself. The paint’s screwed anyway and it was getting close to needing a respray.

Anyone know where I can get the blocks from?

Thanks

Andy-R

Anyone know where I can get the blocks from?

I made mine from a piece of beech that I had – cut it in half, clamped the two halves together and then drilled through it (on the split line) with a 28.6mm Forstner bit.
    Then lubed it with grease and clamped it round the frame in a vice and rotated the frame while gradually nipping up the vice.

blacklabbikes
    Free Member

ceeway will sell you alu blocks of the right size.

Andy

I have a steel Stanton Sherpa with a very similar dent in the top tube, which was there when I bought it. Have ridden the bike for 18 months with no issue, and it doesnt really bother me. I might get it filled if I have other work done to the frame. The other thing I have been meaning to try is the freezing technique which may make it pop out. Worth researching, before going down the blocks route.

globalti
    Free Member

Many steel frames are deliberately dented inside the chainstays to make room for the tyre. Stop worrying about it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Dented top tube. Scrap frame?’ is closed to new replies.