Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dented headtube, ride or not?
  • lardman
    Free Member

I’ve bought a bike second hand, which has a small dent in the top of the headtube from courier having not treated it well.

Now, with old style headset cups pressed into the frame, I’d have not ridden it as the cups would creak. But, with an integrated headset bearing that just drops into the frame, would this still be an issue? (Presuming that the ding is tapped out gently)

The seller is happy to sort/return/refund but I’d quite like to use the frame.

So, problem or not? As of course, when I’ve ridden it, I can’t return it

otsdr
    Free Member

You are right about the integrated headset being safer to use, as the outside is mostly useless – the bearings rest/act on the conical sections inside.

If it’s steel, I’d definitely go for it; with alloy, there is some risk of cracking the headtube when fixing it – maybe a better option would be to grind it a bit on the inside?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Pictures

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tdog
    Free Member

Material and model please oh and detailed pics …

damascus
    Free Member

As above plus how much was it?

I’d either return it or ask for money off.

It will always play on your mind and reduce your sell on value

lardman
    Free Member

Aluminium spesh enduro.

Big enough dent to not allow the bearing to go in without knocking it back out, but not so big you’d have to do more than a little tapping it out.

I reckon tap/grind would be the most effective way.

Dickyboy

Don’t think that’s something I’d want to ride, aluminium doesn’t “just bend back”

toppers3933
    Free Member

Couple of good biffs with a hammer then cut the headset seats again and I’d ride it. I’d certainly do that then reasses how it looks. Might not do it for a customers bike but I am the master of my own destiny. Hahaha

martymac

Don’t bend or hit anything.

if it’s a relatively cheap frame, grind a bit off until the bearings fit, gently gently, you can’t put material back when it’s gone.

If it’s a decent amount of money, make some sort of arrangement with the seller for money off, or return it.

lardman
    Free Member

can’t put pics up here, as direct Dropbox linking doesn’t work anymore.

Link to external pics on dropbox

teethgrinder

I’d be wanting the seller to claim from the courier and refund me, from those photos.

otsdr
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother with it either; a frame should be packed such that the rear forks cannot be compressed and the extremities (dropouts, hanger, headtube) are protected against standard courier handling.

martymac

Nah, I wouldn’t ride that, get yer money back. Shame, but hardly the sellers fault.

lardman
    Free Member

yeah, seller is being cool and offering to sort everything. It’s just a good bike at the right price. Bugger.

Daffy

If it’s on the bearing cup, there’s plenty of material there to take the strain and the bearing or cup will distribute the load over the area, so no point loads.  It’ll be absolutely fine.  I’d ride it without much concern, but would want something back from the seller as it’s not worth as much should I want to punt it on.

martymac

Well, for the sake of balance, I wouldn’t ride it.

BUT, i weigh 20 stone.

if i weighed 9 stone I’d ride it for sure.

ymmv, depending on where the needle points when you stand on the scales 😁😁

Onzadog
    Free Member

Having looked at the photos, no.

lotto
    Free Member

Ooft. Shame, but I wouldn’t want to be thinking ‘what if’ rocketing down a bouldery decent .

RustyNissanPrairie

Looking at the pics I’d be happy to ride it from a physical/forces point – the majority of loading is feeding from the back of the cup into the top tube, it’s only under braking that it would be loaded.

However I wouldn’t ride it from an asthetic point – I hate dents/scuffs/scrapes! I’d have to fill and paint it first!

lardman
    Free Member

I’m definitely no aesthete, but I AM a 18.5 stone loon. So the structural integrity was my only concern.

On balance, I’ve decided to return it.  Thanks for the many varied perspectives.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dented headtube, ride or not?’ is closed to new replies.