Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dented downtube – Is this still safe to ride?
  • tetrode
    Free Member

So today I noticed a dent in the downtube of my alu Jeffsy, and I’m wondering how bad it is. Who thinks this is still good to ride? (ignore the peeling frame protection!)

downtube dent

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Absolutely fine.

mashr

Fine

TiRed

That’s not a dent, that’s character.

tetrode
    Free Member

Good to know! I have no idea about dents like this so better safe than sorry. I might pick up some sort of downtube protector now for the future. Any recommendations out there?

Poopscoop

Isn’t that part covered by the standard rubber protector?

I’ve got a carbon Jeffsy and was pretty paranoid about down give protection.

I bought a carbon fibre protector but modded it to cover further up the down tube. Also added a high density foam further up so the down tube is almost all covered one way or another.

DezB
    Free Member

Get some of that AMS Honeycomb protective stuff and stick it over the dent. Then you can forget it’s there 🙂

tetrode
    Free Member

@poopscoop, my alu jeffsy never came with one, so best to get an aftermarket one!

Poopscoop

On YouTube there is a guy that makes a protector out of malleable plastic/rubber. Looked really good from memory.

Im sure someone on here remembers the video or the thread about it?

rOcKeTdOg

Dent looks fine, the crack in the middle of it however…
    Or is that paint? Either way I’d be scraping the paint off for a proper look before throwing myself off a mountain side because someone on a forum told me it looked ok.
    It’d be ok if it was steel but for alu I’d be wanting to take a better look

cynic-al
    Free Member

Instant collapse on the next kerb drop

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

That’s knackered. I’ve got a recycling bin for aluminium at my work, post it up and I’ll dispose of it for you properly.

tetrode
    Free Member

Dent looks fine, the crack in the middle of it however…
    Or is that paint? Either way I’d be scraping the paint off for a proper look before throwing myself off a mountain side because someone on a forum told me it looked ok.
    It’d be ok if it was steel but for alu I’d be wanting to take a better look

Yeah that is just a paint scrape, I had a good look at it and the only worrying thing is the dent itself. No cracks anywhere.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dented downtube – Is this still safe to ride?’ is closed to new replies.