Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • Dennis has arrived.
  • Houns

This week I shall mostly be shovelling tonnes of sandy soil that has washed down off the farmers fields at work. Sadly the farmer won’t do anything to help so this is a regular occurrence during heavy rain

This was the Stour through our estate yesterday

P-Jay
    Free Member

I was lulled into thinking it was a bit of nothing really. We got some rain and wind at home, but I still managed a quick lap of Cwmcarn Saturday morning with being blown away.

Little did I know…

That’s about 200m from my office, we came very close to flooding.

Officer

That’s about 200m the other way from my office.

This is a 5 min walk from my house.

Oh and any small business owners out there. Off site back-up! These belong to a client who decided they didn’t need it. They smell horribly and it’ll probably cost £5k to recover the data, it’ll probably take weeks too given how busy they’ll be.

frood
    Free Member

mariner

Gulp.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/heathrow-plane-video-storm-dennis-wind-sideways-landing-a9338201.html

Not the prettiest crosswind landing for sure, no decrab or into wind aileron for touchdown, but I don’t know what the A380 standard technique is.

Aircraft have crosswind limits. (A few with granddaddy rights like the Jumbo jet it’s a demonstrated limit so you may go above it at your own risk, but that will be down to each airline to decide in their procedures) If it’s outside those limits you can’t fly an approach and need to find a more into wind runway. Also much more importantly if the pilots aren’t happy, they won’t do it. They want to go home too.

Last Monday watched an Etihad aircraft divert from Munich to Milan to get to an appropriate airfield.

molgrips
    Free Member

@P-Jay where’s that? Nantgarw area?

P-Jay
    Free Member

@P-Jay where’s that? Nantgarw area?

Yep, we’re Glan Y Llyn so between Nantgarw and Taffs Well.

reluctantjumper

Was up round Nantgarw and Pontypridd today and they’ve taken a massive hit. Mud everywhere! Went past all the car garages and there must have been well over 1000 cars between all the lots that have all been written off. One dealer was dragging a few of the showroom crash cars out, they were full of mud and had obviously been floating around as they were dented on every panel.

The Upper Boat pub was a few feet lower than it should be too, it hadn’t sank but there was so much mud dumped around and in it that it looked like it was trying to dig itself a hole. It’s just been refurbished too, will he an absolute mess inside.

Going to be a tough time for a lot of businesses for the next few weeks.

molgrips
    Free Member

The drone footage shows cars all over the roads like they’ve been abandoned – they were washed away by the water.

reluctantjumper

Everyone along the Wye river is taking a battering again. It’s up to new record levels now through Hereford, Ross-On-Wye and Monmouth. Purely just volume of water coming into it from upstream as it’s no more than a drizzle in the area. There’s also some shopping containers that have got loose round Ross, if they hit the bridge at Monmouth it’ll be out of action for a long time!

pictonroad

View post on imgur.com

Five million tonnes of water. (Give or take)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

where’s that shot of, picton?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

^ where is that? I’m sure I saw it from the Edinburgh -> London train today

Houns

Driving back through Shropshire yesterday, I’ve never seen the Severn so high, especially at Bridgnorth, I’m surprised there haven’t been any mobile homes floating down stream as the holiday park is flooded, my usual route home was full of diversions

pictonroad

where’s that shot of, picton

Leigh Flood Storage Area, upstream of Tonbridge, Kent on the River Medway.

View post on imgur.com

Simon-E

@Houns the Severn is slowly dropping back now, Bridgnorth gauge peaked at 5.04m late last night – https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/72/78

The levels are not quite as high as November 2000 (5.26 m) and parts of Shrewsbury and Ironbridge have been saved from flooding by the portable barriers and walls built for this purpose in 2002. The Frankwell barriers have been deployed a good number of times since then. Lots of pics of Shrewsbury floods by SolsticewebPhotography on FB. Most of the streets in Shrewsbury that were flooded have reopened today.

For anyone travelling in Shropshire, updates to road closures in the county are posted at https://newsroom.shropshire.gov.uk/category/highways/

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Dennis has arrived.’ is closed to new replies.