Dengfu/Hongfu/Carbonzone

Home Forum Bike Forum Dengfu/Hongfu/Carbonzone

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Dengfu/Hongfu/Carbonzone
  • Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Aah, good, as long as you were being sarcastic! I guess the problem is that plenty of folk aren’t – they really think their Chinarellos (most of which are actually Kuota replicas, or at best a Prince, rather than a Dogma) really do come out of the back door of the Pinarello factory.

I reckon the majority of those companies are excellent, but I’d sooner buy a ‘house style’ frame over an attempted replica.

Edric 64

I wouldnt worry about buyimg Chinese carbon having seen a Wilier road frame with a bloody great crack in the top tube which was caused by sharp braking to avoid a truck and a testicle to top tube interface and nothing else .They cost a grand for the frame !!

ChunkyMTB

I guess the problem is that plenty of folk aren’t – they really think their Chinarellos (most of which are actually Kuota replicas, or at best a Prince, rather than a Dogma) really do come out of the back door of the Pinarello factory.

I think its funny that you think people think that. Oh dear.

When it comes to getting these frames, people aren’t as stupid or naive as you obviously think.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I must admit, I’m now considering an anonymous far eastern frame because I get more freedom over the livery and enough money left over in the budget for much nicer kit.

I’m tempted to believe that I’m too much of a philistine to appreciate how big brand A tracks better the big brand B through the corners but big brand C is more compliant for all day riding.

My thinking is more along the lines of, if it fits and the saddle, bars and wheels/tyres are comfortable, I’ll be fine.

I think the reason I’m finding buying a road bike so hard, is that I’m looking for technology and advances that don’t really seem to stretch beyond the marketing department.

clubber

Edric 64 – Member
    I wouldnt worry about buyimg Chinese carbon having seen a Wilier road frame with a bloody great crack in the top tube which was caused by sharp braking to avoid a truck and a testicle to top tube interface and nothing else .They cost a grand for the frame !!

Slight tangent and I tend to agree with the general point you seem to be making (that branded isn’t necessarily any better than not) but top tubes on £1k road frames (read “lightweight”, usually) aren’t designed for you to land on, balls first or not 😉

I bought a bike off a guy who was sponsored by his local shop to race on the road. It wasn’t the lightness that suprised (my <£1k build is on the UCI limit too), but that when I picked it up by the top tube you could crush is in your hand!

Slightly scary, but apparently still perfectly stif enough.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I used to have a Manitou HT frame and you could feel the toptube flex in your fingers.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

When it comes to getting these frames, people aren’t as stupid or naive as you obviously think.

Some are, certainly not all, but plenty of people think they’re buying a frame that’s been siphoned off the same production line as a ‘real’ Dogma for some reason or other. It’s greed.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Not quite sure what your problem is Chunky?

Are you saying that everyone who buys those frames knows 100% they’re completely fake? First thread I found: Sure no one is as naive and stupid as this? 🙄

There’s loads of people saying (and thus presumably genuinely thinking) they come out of the same factory as a ‘real’ Pinarello/Colnago/Cervelo/Kuota.

FWIW, I had a Chinese carbon MTB frame, and I’d have another one without hesitating.

ChunkyMTB

How many are ‘loads’ of people?

clubber

Put your handbags away and stop spoiling the thread. Or do it by email, if you must. Silly argument 🙄

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Yep, agreed. Not sure what I’ve done. Drop me a line Chunky!xxx

Back (vaguley) on topic – is the Chinese carbon wheels – FarSports etc. I can’t work out how they get their rims to weigh less than those costing 10 times as much. 1200g 38mm carbon clinchers are miles ahead of Zipp/Easton/Bontrager/Enve etc.

I suppose the cost is propoprtional to the R&D and marketing.

I bet farsports have been nowhere near any CFD or a windtunnel, just sketch a rim profile and CNC a mould from it, voila an ‘aero’ rim. Probably very close to the big brands profile too. Combine that with almost zero marketing budget and youve got cheep wheels.

And theres nothing to say they’re not just different points on the supply/demand curves, neither may be optimum. Easton may be overpriced, farsport maybe under priced. I do think that road wheels are one place though where the money spent has little to do with the value of the product. You could buy a box of farsport rims, build them up, put a sticker on them and sell them for any price you can pull out of the air. Someone would see them as ‘better value’ than zipps, someone else would pay more than from farsport as they’re a better brand.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I guess, but they’re not the same as Zipp etc for less money, they’re lighter.

With Stan’s appearing to have done the first <300g carbon clincher MTB 29er rim with Eastern origins (or at all?) it’ll be interesting to see if anyone like LB ‘copies’ it.

atlaz

You could buy a box of farsport rims, build them up, put a sticker on them and sell them for any price you can pull out of the air.

Pretty sure at least one of the previously mentioned retailers in the UK do this with frames, pedals, bars etc

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Isn’t that exactly what Superstar do with all their components, and are very open about it.

The BikeRumor lot are particularly blood thirsty on this – when you get a ‘new manufacturer’ doing wheels for ‘just $1500’, people often end up finding the exact clone of the rim from China.

atlaz

I dont have a problem with the practice but I think it takes the piss when they try to pretend that they’ve done loads of R&D when all the research was a catalogue or a visit to Eurobike.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Totally agree, and it does seem fairly widespread. Why wouldn’t you though really!?

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I agree, if you’ve got a proprietary process. private moulds and performance and price that match it, then fine. Also, if you’ve just taken an open mould frame, painted it and made no special claims, that’s also fine. Personally, I’m not too happy with the charlatans who carefully imply it’s unique or special/different when actually, all they’ve done is look at the same direct from Taiwan website I could use.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

The only flipside of that is that you’re getting someone else who’s (hopefully) done some sort of vetting, a simpler warranty process, quicker turnaround, no customs fees etc etc.

atlaz

There’s a company in the US that charges a premium for frames made and painted by the people who made my frame by classing them as US-designed when they mean the paint scheme rather than the frame. They’ve been slammed on a load of forums but seem to sell enough not to care.

mashiehood

I have the farsport 38mm clinchers, 2500 miles in and so far they have been amazing. Now my friends mostly snigger when i say they are direct from china, but im delighted with them.

I also ride a Cannondale made in the far east, typing on a computer made in the far east.

My latest squeeze is from the Far East. Wouldn’t go back now.

J273

I’ve a nice Chinese carbon 29er frame for sale if anyone’s interested 😉

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-chinese-carbon-29er-frame-ip-057

hora

Anyone point me to the Chinarello’s on ebay? 🙂

cynic-al

You don’t have £8 for carbon paste but you are buying a new frame?

hora

Get ones priorities right

Premier Icon nemesis
    Subscriber

Aliexpress is another source. I can recommend Miracle Cycles

ChunkyMTB

Have run Carbonzone carbon clinchers for two years with no issues (on some shocking roads)

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Any decent very small size (around 15″) 26″ FS carbon frames about?

cynic-al

hora – Member
    Get ones priorities right

They are utterly wrong.

If I had a penny for every clown coming into my shop looking for bling then whining that it costs money to service etc…

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Anyone who buys a “Chinarello” has got their pritorities completely back-to-front IMO.

They might look similar to an expensive (but not v attractive) bike, but the important stuff in carbon frames is what you can’t see. The quality of material and construction used.

It’s hard to keep track of all your roadie posts Hora, did you already try better wheels on your PX?

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Dengfu/Hongfu/Carbonzone’ is closed to new replies.