• This topic has 52 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by a11y.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Delivery Robot Invasion
  • Caher

Has anyone else’s local area been invaded by 6 wheel delivery robots? They appear to be a little lost sometimes as I just helped one up a high kerb. Hopefully the Terminator will leave me with my clothes.

joshvegas
    Free Member

is it a compressed air cannon or a trebuchet type arrangement they use for hoying the parcels over you neighbours fence?

How do they open wheelybins?

kimbers

We’ve had them in Milton Keynes for years

My kids love them

scotroutes

How do they deliver delivery robots?

doublezero
    Free Member

They are great had them in MK for a while, like the way the AI has them flashing their lights at each other when they pass, nice touch adding human normalisation.

They often struggle with kerbs a helping hand is good karma, never give way to them on a pedestrian crossing though they don’t move, causes chaos for the good polite folk round my way.

pk13

Look cool at Christmas too

fossy

Nah, no chance up ‘ere. We’ve only just got rid of pacers !

toofarwest

We saw a few when we went to my brother’s wedding in MK last year, Mrs TooFar hadn’t heard of them and was amazed when one trundled past the coffee shop we were in.

Mister-P
    Free Member

We have them in Northampton along with what seems like hundreds of delivery bicycles. I’m surprised there’s anyone outside with all the home deliveries going on.

donks
    Free Member

I feel like starship missed a trick and should have fitted them with weapons like on Robot wars….when ever they pass each other they could battle it out. There’s actually one trundling up the street as I type this….never bothered ordering from one though.

plus-one

Can you rob them ? Asking for a friend

matt_outandabout

is it a compressed air cannon or a trebuchet type arrangement they use for hoying the parcels over you neighbours fence?

I’d be more impressed if the air cannon yeet’d the robot over the fence..

sharkattack

How do they protect themselves against vandalism? They’d all get thrown in the canal up here.

ampthill

I think they are fairly heavy. They are covered in cc tv. They report their position continuously and scream really loudly if tampered with.

MK is hardly free of likely offenders but apparently they aren’t suffering significant losses. I love seeing the little guys

jambourgie
    Free Member

Wut? No way. Pictures or no believe.

cookeaa

How do they protect themselves against vandalism?

Plasma rifles I believe:

Bloody Bezos!

kimbers

2022-06-29_07-42-34

2022-06-29_07-43-57

I was told by my local takeaway that they’d not had one incident of vandalism in 5 years

At least one got caught in flooding tho

redthunder
    Free Member

How fast do they go ?

redthunder
    Free Member

Next size up PanzerI.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cool, I didn’t know they had been rolled out (hahaha) over here.

footflaps

I thought they were just in MK, didn’t realise they’d been released elsewhere…

andy5390

I think they are fairly heavy. They are covered in cc tv. They report their position continuously and scream really loudly if tampered with

A couple of Go-Pros, and it sounds like a job I could do 😁

desperatebicycle

I can’t help but think with all the coming of the robots, modern tech finally catching up with sci-fi and all that, but they haven’t designed them well enough to cope with KERBS? That is bizarre. Same designer as the Daleks maybe.
    Why aren’t they more like this – https://www.unitree.com/products/go1/

kimbers

How fast do they go ?

Slow!

They also struggle a bit at road crossings and can get thrown by cars parked on pavement etc

I think at that point a remote handler must take over

ampthill

Range, cost, reliability and durability I would have thought

footflaps

Unclear what the point of that one actually is – just seems to follow you about?

purple_moose
    Free Member

I’m not aware that any of the ones in MK have suffered theft or vandalism

I think only certain parts of MK are covered by them, so they may not go to the less desirable areas

easily
    Free Member

I’m not aware that any of the ones in MK have suffered theft or vandalism

I rescued one last week. It has a branch jammed into it’s wheels and had been turned upside down. It said ‘Thank you’ when I set it the right way up, which made me smile.

I’ve also been ‘attacked’ by one on my bike – I think it couldn’t see my wheels as the are so narrow, and it dodged into my path to avoid something else. No harm was done, but we need to put a stop to this sort of thing, it’s pretty much how Terminator starts.

easily
    Free Member

Unclear what the point of that one actually is – just seems to follow you about?

Like The Luggage from Discworld? That seems pretty cool.

footflaps

it’s pretty much how Terminator starts.

I missed the bit the films, where they delivered Pizza….

EDIT: On the same subject, they don’t look like they could fit a very big pizza inside them anyway? Maybe that’s why they started killing humans?

desperatebicycle

You understand “more like this” doesn’t mean exactly the same, yeah?

Like most toys, it’s for a laff innit.

wordnumb
    Free Member

EDIT: On the same subject, they don’t look like they could fit a very big pizza inside them anyway? Maybe that’s why they started killing humans?

I preferred the sequel, where the resistance started fitting humans inside deliverbots and they started killing pizzas.

ampthill

You understand “more like this” doesn’t mean exactly the same, yeah?

Yes I did understand

I think it cost about £1 for a robot delivery

Drac

Like a really useful Bigtrack.

footflaps

video of them in action

No Plasma rifles?

How dull.

Although John Harris is pretty good as journos go!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Is it April Fools day? I had no idea these things existed. What are they delivering? Parcels, post, takeaways? And to who? How do you know when it’s arrived/ How do you open it? Is it a single item delivery? If not, what’s to stop scrotes stealing all the other parcels?… so many questions.

As another poster mentioned, they’d all be in the canal up here. With all the old lead rent-a-bikes.

baddddad
    Free Member

Black Mirror Dog

Don’t be so sure

maxtorque

I love our little 6 wheeled friends!

I even have a little bit of wood batton left in the gutter to help them up the high kerb just to the right of my front door as otherwise they struggle a bit with some impressive wheel lifts and wheel spin.

Occasionally i do get in a standoff with one on a junction in my electric car, when we just sit there in some sort of silent standoff, each waiting for the other to go first. Some how, it’s impossible to get annoyed by them, which these days is something of a result as most tech is ****** annoying 🙂

Drac

@maxtorque I hope you play Ecstasy for Gold while sat there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.