• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by tdog.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Delivery drivers, have the got it made?
  • Premier Icon theboatman

Last Christmas several hundred pounds worth of prezzies were lost to the Myhermes elf, so bit of an bumache chasing down refunds and having to try and deal with their awful customer service. It wasn’t just us, plenty of the village lost numerous parcel’s.

This year it’s the Amazon elf that in the space of three days has ‘delivered’ a fitness tracker and some photo printing thingy to me, only for them to have disappeared. Amazon have been on point for refunds, and this year our Myhermes guy is so good we know call him ‘our Steve’ and we know from his little picture thing that he likes an Italian meal.

It’s making me think that rather than buying presents next year I would be better off applying for a seasonal delivery driver job and treating the kids to a parcel lottery fun Christmas. It seems I could not only save my pressie money, but I could be up the pittance that they probably get paid and suffer no ill consequence from thieving my way through the Festive period.

I’m used to working long unsociable hours so it seems win win to me, is it really that simple?

Premier Icon duncancallum

Doubt its malicious.

Pay per drop 100s of drops to make a living….

If you want to ensure your gifts make it home go n buy from a local shop.

Premier Icon theboatman

If you want to ensure your gifts make it home go n buy from a local shop.

Ha 👍 that was the most stw answer I was hoping for.

As a working single dad living in a rural area, that’s not really the easiest option I have, although it is as you note probably the safest. In fairness, even when my circumstances were different, I would rather have ordered on line than venture into a rammed Sheffield city centre or Meadow Hall in December.

I had hoped my post displayed a little humour to the fact it seems that the online delivery service could supply a wrong ‘un with a wealth of money saving opportunities.

Premier Icon duncancallum

I did try for max stw effect…..

Most online retailers will re send or credit.

Must cost them huge amounts

Premier Icon frankconway

I’m with duncan; if the recipient and present matter to you, do it yourself – don’t rely on Hermes, Yodel and others.
    As for thieving your way through christmas – that’s a tad harsh on underpaid, under-valued, over-worked delivery drones; blame the organisations and their corporate culture.

Premier Icon benv
    Free Member

Delivery drivers, have the got it made?

I very much doubt it.

Premier Icon theboatman

I have respect for our Steve who is clearly a very honest decent guy faced with not only his own struggles against a society that offers little in the way of equality of opportunity, but equally he faces the daily shame of having to deliver a wealth of riches to the bourgeois elite such as myself. But there seems little deterant for a ne’er do well*

*whilst I’m figuring it’s a bad night for tongue in cheek, in for a penny…..

Premier Icon tdog
    Free Member

Gotta say my local Hermes lady is lovely to deal/look with/at

Unlike the spotty inbred in the clapped out Corsa where I used to live.

However given the choice to use my herpes… lol

But yeah I’ve heard horror stories of Parcel Force and hermes opening ipad looking boxes up just to see!

🤬💩

Premier Icon poly
    Free Member

and suffer no ill consequence from thieving my way through the Festive period.

What makes you think that any big delivery service isn’t very keen to:
    1. Gather evidence that proves if its staff are on the take
    2. Send a clear message to anyone they believe is on the take
    3. Address the obvious negative customer reputation that goes with missing stuff?

Most effective way to do that is prosecute where they can; prominently terminate zero hrs / gig economy contracts even if they can’t.

Premier Icon theboatman

What makes you think

1. As a small village we lost 28 parcel’s last xmas and reported this to myhermes and via police 101. The cops understandably were not interested and nor were myhermes.

2. Complainant’s were made on each day of stuff going missing and in the ensuing days it just rolled on. To an uneducated eye it does seem that the perception of delivery is more important than claiming the cost back from the retailer’s. And equally despite the cost the retailer’s are happy to offer bottom dollar delivery costs and soak up the claims.

3. Have you seen Twitter etc? It would
    seem they don’t give a stuff, as above, cheap delivery costs seem to drive the paying customer more than reputation.

My original post was no more than a grump, and I do abhor the fact we have such inequalities that this seems to to be the way things are now. But f’ me, I wouldn’t be looking to post that it’s the poor logistics firms that are the victims of this situation.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

As a small village we lost 28 parcel’s last xmas an

May not have been the driver. “Porch thefts” are rampant now. Someone driving around and lifting parcels left in the open? Maybe even one of the villagers?

Premier Icon Cougar

What makes you think

My experience of complaining to Yodel is that their stock response is to sack the driver. Or at least, claim to have done so. Which is bollocks when their working conditions pretty much force drivers to continually make concessions.

May not have been the driver. “Porch thefts” are rampant now. Someone driving around and lifting parcels left in the open?

Leaving parcels out in the open rather than a “secure location” isn’t the driver’s doing?

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

secure location

A safe place enables a courier to collect or deliver your parcel even if you’re not in. It should be dry and secure from public access but still easily accessible to our courier. Typical examples include a shed, greenhouse or porch

By the t&cs. They’re called porch thefts for a reason. That’s one company, most are similar. Unless you give your driver a key to your house, there is no place that is accessible to them and at the same time secure from public access. it’s what you get when you sign up, though.

The sophisticated ones carry an empty box up to the porch and leave with the real one, making it look like they are another delivery driver. Clever.

Premier Icon hodgynd
    Free Member

I think that you might find the guys in the warehouse are the people on zero hour contracts..most deliveries are done by courier companies who have their own pay rates for their drivers / franchisee’s..
    Some of the money being earned might well surprise you 😎

Premier Icon hodgynd
    Free Member

…also a lot of “missing” parcels go missing at source from the warehouse but the delivery driver wont know this until he is at your door ..

Premier Icon mrwhyte
    Free Member

Two of my recent deliveries have been lost by Amazon. Then updates saying the item is making its way back to them… That was two weeks ago. Customer service chat isn’t too bad, spoke to someone on there and got a refund right away. It’s that time of the year though where millions more parcels are ordered and more temp staff are working, so bound to be more mistakes.

Premier Icon ffej

It does happen. Few years ago we had a laptop delivered, or at least amazon chap pretended to deliver it,  neighbours cctv showed he didn’t go down the drive, just got close enough for the gps in his delivery pda thingy to allow him to fake sign for it. When he tried the same with the replacement (with my wife and I watching him out the window) the depot manager had him tracked and intercepted when he took a detour on the way back to stash the goods.

Thankfully an isolated issue, never had anything else go walkies.

J

Premier Icon kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I knew someone who was delivering parcels (can’t remember the courier) for £1 a pop. Considering they were based in a semi-rural area, that doesn’t sound like an easy way to make a living.

It may also partly explain why there are issues with parcels going missing. If you’ve spent 10 minutes driving somewhere only to find that you can’t drop the parcel off (hence won’t get paid), I can understand the temptation to just dump it somewhere. If that somewhere isn’t particularly secure (or is at the wrong address), it might well get pinched.

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Free Member

buy from a local shop.

For local people…

Premier Icon supernova

Try this 2019 film for a good look at how this form of modern indentured labour works:

Sorry We Missed You
    https://g.co/kgs/c9gcEd

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Free Member

Two of my recent deliveries have been lost by Amazon. Then updates saying the item is making its way back to them…

My wife has had this recently. So she cancelled the orders.

A day later someone in the next village brought some parcels round that had been dropped off with them, pretty much at random. The parcels had been opened, so it was lucky there was nothing of real value in there, as I doubt we’d have seen it at all.

So we get the goods FOC. Plus £5 from Amazon for the bother of liveChat.

It doesn’t look a great business model.

Premier Icon hodgynd
    Free Member

There is a seasonal influx of workers into the shipment centres at this time of year ..mistakes are made as they are new to the job and it’s not uncommon for parcels to be sent out with the wrong courier / in a totally different area ..this explains the ” parcels making there way back to them “…

Premier Icon dovebiker

I have frequently encountered piles of discarded Amazon boxes in secluded lay-bys whilst out cycling. I take photos of the labels and send them to Amazon – from the number and range of addresses it’s obvious it’s the delivery drivers helping themselves rather than someone ‘porch shopping’

Premier Icon houndlegs
    Free Member

I’m a delivery driver. I’ve got 3 days off, curry and wine ready for tonight. I’ve got it made alright 🙂

Premier Icon tdog
    Free Member

Lol – but is it an M&S curry’n’wine

;-d

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Delivery drivers, have the got it made?’ is closed to new replies.