• This topic has 78 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Dehydration/feeling knackered the next day- where am I going wrong?
  • Drac

I bet thats water washing out essential salts (approaching hyponatremia?)..

I can bet huge amounts of money it’s not.

molgrips
    Free Member

hydration tablets and such may benefit but for average Joe not massive benefit

Right. So Average Joe doesn’t need extra electrolytes, but how do you define average? Most regular MTBers are much fitter than this Mr AJ and do far longer and harder work outs, so would that not put us in the category that does need electrolytes on say 7 hour rides in full hot summer weather?

I know if I do a long ride in the heat I get very thirsty and this doesn’t seem to go away no matter how much water I drink. Only electrolyte drinks work. Is this so unreasonable? Speaking as one who doesn’t eat much processed food…

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

and why doesn’t a sweaty average person need electrolytes? i would have thought they’d need it even more..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

because you get plenty in your normal diet – infact an excess. you have kidneys that are very good at regulating the electrolyte balance of your body.

having said that I do believe you can get a bit low sodium if you have a low salt diet and have sweated a lot. Its however much rarer than folk think

skiprat
    Free Member

Mark, yesterday i had the following: –

Porridge, cake early on in the ride, tuna mayo at Fairholmes washed down with a can of coke. Plenty of water to drink throughout the ride. Big Mr Whippy ice cream straight after the ride with a bottle of water on the drive home.
    Went to “2 for 1” pub for team and had steak and salad and steak and chips (my 2 meals). Was tired last night but fine this morning.

Think you need to eat and drink earlier on in the ride.

Great ride out by the way.

hora
    Free Member

Think you need to eat and drink earlier on in the ride.

Yes, think I ate at 6.40am then again at 12.30(?).

You **** sweat buckets. Everytime you tipped your head/helmet forward it looked like a tarpaulin had been pressed up in a thunderstorm! 😆

skiprat
    Free Member

Haha!! Thanks for that, forgot my strip of Buff for my headband……but yes i do, just the way i am!!

avdave2

I know if I do a long ride in the heat I get very thirsty and this doesn’t seem to go away no matter how much water I drink. Only electrolyte drinks work. Is this so unreasonable? Speaking as one who doesn’t eat much processed food..

That was my experience from the weekend, but as well as using hydration tablets I also made a point of eating continually as well, never going for more than an hour without something. That is not something I have done in the past so this too may have explained why I was able to ride nearly twice as far as previously without that thirst at the end that won’t go away. I think for the next long ride I will continue with the eating and carry the Nuun tablets as a back up.

And judging by the straps on my wingnut there was plenty of something washing out of me.

Drac

Molgrips and Jeffcakeshop TJ has given you the answer even though it was already answered. It will benefit you but not a huge amount and certainly not on just a jolly ride out. Yes maybe on a big epic big calorie burning day out it’ll much more beneficial.

Drac

I know if I do a long ride in the heat I get very thirsty and this doesn’t seem to go away no matter how much water I drink. Only electrolyte drinks work. Is this so unreasonable? Speaking as one who doesn’t eat much processed food.

They help yes but not a massive benefit for most casual riding and foods contain salt anyway just processed they add way more than you would cooking at home.

hora
    Free Member

Where can you find Wingnuts now? Last time I looked the company had gone bust?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes maybe on a big epic big calorie burning day out it’ll much more beneficial

Isn’t that what Hora had? If I am out for a 5 hour ride it’s not tea and cakes, it’s 5 hours of riding up big mountains as hard as I can.

Re salty food – if your kidneys filter out all the salt you don’t need, then when it comes to a big ride you won’t have that extra salt available will you? You won’t have stored it..?

Just wondering how the system works that’s all.

And it may well be that the typical western diet has far too much salt, but we’re not all eating like that on here are we? Personal salt intake could vary a lot depending on how conscientious we are about our diets.

Drac

Isn’t that what Hora had? If I am out for a 5 hour ride it’s not tea and cakes, it’s 5 hours of riding up big mountains as hard as I can.

You’ve answered that, he was out for a 5 hours which is jolly jaunt.

Re salty food – if your kidneys filter out all the salt you don’t need, then when it comes to a big ride you won’t have that extra salt available will you? You won’t have stored it..?

You can carry food with you.

And it may well be that the typical western diet has far too much salt, but we’re not all eating like that on here are we? Personal salt intake could vary a lot depending on how conscientious we are about our diets.

It’s nice to look at averages.

RHSno2
    Free Member

He stopped for pie. Thus it can’t be an epic ride.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why would I not sweat alot? What makes people “not sweat”? I rode for 7 hours yesterday and found I wasnt really sweating. I drank about 3 bike bottles full of water though, what else would my body be using it for?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well true, he did stop for a pie.

Average is no good in this case though – if half the country stuff their face on burgers, fries and pop tarts, and the other half are health food freaks, the average is meaningless.

What makes people “not sweat”?

Dunno, but some do sweat a lot more than others. The larger you are of course the more power you are generating to ride the same pace, and the less surface area you have relative to mass to use for cooling purposes.

Skinnier buggers should sweat less in theory.

hora
    Free Member

5hours is enough. Anymore and it becomes a transporting your body from a to b in a form of willy waiving IMO.

Drac

5hours is enough. Anymore and it becomes a transporting your body from a to b in a form of willy waiving IMO.

Or it could be because you want to ride longer.

Average is no good in this case though – if half the country stuff their face on burgers, fries and pop tarts, and the other half are health food freaks, the average is meaningless.

Well it would be if that was the case but I’m sure it’s not as even and as clear cut as that.

hora
    Free Member

Would love to. hora junior is too much of a pull though :mrgreen:

Drac

Would love to. hora junior is too much of a pull though

Yup kids do that I get out far less because of that but I do get away now, if I do get out for a ride other than evening spins the rule is I’m away as long as want. It’s my escape time from work and kids so I ride as long as I can.

FieldMarshall

I bet thats water washing out essential salts (approaching hyponatremia?)..

More likely to be Hypokalemia than Hyponatremia, i.e. low potassium rather than low sodium, following excessive stress and exertion in the heat. If you must add salt to your food try going for one which is higher in Potassium and low in Sodium.

I used to suffer from the same symptoms as you for years, until I regularly starting using “re-hydration” salts (that contain a mixture of electrolytes), especially in the heat. Really worked for me. I use a combination of Torq and High Five Zeros, depending on the length of the ride.

Whilst there is a wealth of evidence to support the use of electrolytic supplementation everyone is different and what works for some doesnt for others. Which is really apparent looking at the previous posts on this thread.

ruscle
    Free Member

Havenot read the thread so apologise if already mentioned, but get a protein powder to have a shake after and before bed, My Protein web site is amongst the best. It will work wonders.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well it would be if that was the case but I’m sure it’s not as even and as clear cut as that.

Obviously but I was making a point.

FieldMarshall makes a good point – electrolyte mixes are not only sodium of course – calcium and potassium as well which are not delivered in salt-enriched foods necessarily.

It will work wonders

Standard practice is 3:1 carbs/protein, not just protein. That’s why recovery drinks are made this way.

Drac

FieldMarshall makes a good point – electrolyte mixes are not only sodium of course – calcium and potassium as well which are not delivered in salt-enriched foods necessarily.

No but they’re found food products too.

molgrips
    Free Member

So on a hot ride I’m supposed to stop half way and eat what? Pork pies? Salty banana milkshakes? Nuts?

Won’t Torq work just as well and be easier on the stomach? 🙂

Drac

Dried fruit is pretty good for electrolytes, Pork pies are ace though and yup nuts are also good. Like I said lots of foods have the required items in.

Jehosophat
    Free Member

Again I have only read the first post so apologies if this is a repeat but: Take in plenty of complex carbs before and during the exercise, and a recovery drink as soon as you get back followed as quickly as possible by a carb and protein rich main meal. Sounds to me like you are well hydrated but no more.

If riding for over an hour I tend to use energy drink (exactly that – a compex carb based energy drink not just a rehydration drink) at a varying concentration depending on how much I have eaten – so less for evening rides after dinner, more for weekend morning rides. Then, if it was a hard one, a recovery drink as soon as I return.

I only ride twice a week so could survive without this, but it makes a big difference to how I feel the next day. Without it I’m a moody git, with it I feel fine.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pork pies are ace though

Yeah I’ll stick with Torq cheers!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If riding for over an hour I tend to use energy drink (exactly that – a compex carb based energy drink not just a rehydration drink)

You mean maltodextrin based? Not really complex carbs at all- it acts like glucose and you don’t know what mix of lengths of glucose polymer chains you are getting.

Drac – people here are convinced a sunday afternoon pootle needs all these fancy products – and having paid for them they convince themselves it works. Its fairly pointless to try to show folk they are wasting their money.

DenDennis
    Free Member

you don’t know what mix of lengths of glucose polymer chains you are getting.

sounds like something read off the internet.
    why would you want to know that? my understanding is that during exercise you want simple carbs anyway. complex carbs are required some time before, no?

Drac

I know TJ but I do try.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Someone I ride with had a minor heart attack because of potassium deficiency. That was diet related.

I found my general performance on 2+ hour rides was greatly improved by taking on carbs every 45 minutes/hour or so. I also feel alot better after the ride too. Nothing fancy here though. Water in the camelbak and nutrigrain elevenses do the job perfectly well.

molgrips
    Free Member

people here are convinced a sunday afternoon pootle needs all these fancy products

You talking about me? Are my rides pootles?

hora
    Free Member

Re potassium, could I eat plenty of bananas I.e keep it naturally?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup – you get plenty potassium in bananas –

hora
    Free Member

Porridge, posh honey and bananas is lush.

Within 2 hours though I’m shaking with hunger (and this is at work!).

ahwiles
    Free Member

porridge doesn’t work for me either.

if i eat a bucket full of the stuff, i can just about make it out of the door before i collapse with hunger.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

maybe you are just a fat greedy bastard?

hora
    Free Member

Yep. I also tried it last weekend. Within an hour I was shaking and had a lovely Porridge poo on the trailside abit later on 😯

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Dehydration/feeling knackered the next day- where am I going wrong?’ is closed to new replies.