• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dehydration hangover? Is such a thing possible?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hi
    I was at the Are You Tough Enough event all day in the sun. I only rode one lap, slowly, just to check the course out but I was there virtually 12 hours from 8am and on the go all day helping out and chilling out. It was warm and sunny most of the time (Low 20s degrees) and I must have drunk 2 litres or more of fluids during the day and the same again in the evening, no alcohol at all.
    This morning I feel rotten, like a hangover, despite over 7hrs sleep. (But I do have to get up early, 6.30am)

Why?

Wooliferkins
    Free Member

That’s what most of the headache is in a hangover, dehydration. Just a bit of heat stress by the sound of it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don’t have a headache….. I just feel, err, grim.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(mr MC posting) I’m prone to dehydrating and have had some really grim episodes- dizzy, constant vomitting etc. And yes Ive felt “hungover” after a warm day’s ride with no alcohol. 2 litres in 12 hours is nothing.
    Remember dehydration isnt just lack of water, youve lost loads of electrolytes and drinking just water will exacerbate that as youll flush out what little salt youve got left. Diluted (50/50) pure orange juice is good to rehydrate and gets some potassium in you.

Hooter
    Free Member

I usually feel hungover the day after a race, sounds normal to me.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Its not sunstroke is it?

qwerty
    Free Member

check your brain, is it swelling ❓

MartinGT
    Free Member

only 4 litres when youve been in the sun and its warm?

You get a headache when youre hungover and dheydrated because of fluid loss from your brain.

Drink more!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Its not sunstroke is it?

Well, that’s what I was thinking. Wasn’t that hot though. I guess it’s a bit of both.

damion
    Free Member

I agree with Mr MC. I got heat stroke / sun stroke last summer and it wasn’t pleasant. It felt like cross between a cold and a hang over.

50/50 OJ with water is something I couldn’t do without. I’ve been known to get through 6 ltrs in a day before and I’m only 60kg and 5’2″, but thats during a whole day’s tree climbing.

jonb
    Free Member

half the syptoms of a hangover are dehydration.

hilldodger
    Free Member

swine flu for sure…….

fennesz
    Free Member

I think so. I feel pretty poor the day after night rides – but now I drink a load of water before bed, so it’s not so bad.

And as for heat stroke – had it as a child. I remember the delirious afternoons, stuck in a tent in the south of france. Not fun.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2l is not much water, i drink that at the office, in an air conditioned, humidity controlled bubble, out riding in warm weather id think nothing of planning 1l per hour.

clubber
    Free Member

If you have sunstroke, you’ll stop sweating (which is clearly a bad thing when you’re hot!)

You’re almost certainly suffering from dehydration and or heat exhaustion.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye, you got a touch of heatstroke mate. You need a fetching panama hat like mine – a collared shirt helps keep it off the back of your neck too. If you’re standing around in it a light coloured hat is pretty much essential to keep the heat off your bonce. Hence the trad straw hat.

DezB
    Free Member

Has nobody said it? MTFU!

😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dehydration hangover? Is such a thing possible?’ is closed to new replies.