Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Defrosting the freezer (quickly?)
  • z1ppy

Obviously could just switch it off & let it melt but would like to do it as quick as possible, as I don't really have any where to store the contents for long (could ask our neighbour/friend). Have experienced the joy of stabbing the element with a knife in the past, so would like to do it safely too.

Is there a quick way?
    Saw some defrost-quick spray in a better-ware mag once and one of the lads used a (home) steam cleaner to clean the works freezer box out yesterday.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

fan heater (but not on full blast)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hair dryer can be a good idea. You can aim it to the right places.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

and most food will stay more than frozen enough in the fridge for a good few hours

i sit a fan heater on a plastic box about a foot away form the door to keep it away from water

WARNING: HAIRDRIERS AND WATER DO NOT MIX

sslowpace
    Free Member

Car de-icer helps it along, and use a plastic fish slice, not a bloody knife.

br
    Free Member

Best way:

Stop buying food, eat the contents first – switch off and open the door – leave. Handy if like ours its in the garage…, otherwise lots of towels.

Quick way:

Blow heater and hot water.

krag
    Free Member

Washing up bowl with hot water in left in the freezer?

z1ppy

use a plastic fish slice, not a bloody knife.

hey I was young and it was all going so well, until the inevitable happened 😳

Keef
    Free Member

take it outside,give it a good hosing with a hose pipe (not jet wash) ten Minuit job.I do mine twice a year like this,never had a problem.I just put all the food in bags,put it back in freezer after wiping it out with a towel,food stays frozen.

Drac

Best Way:

Frost free freezer.

But as you don't have one, some people reckon bowl of bowling water in the bottom helps and change regualr. No idea really though.

Dobbo

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I had great fun shooting hot water into the freezer with a washing up liquid bottle – it really cuts (harmlessly) through the ice 🙂 You have to resist the temptation to lever at the ice with anything as the elements are easily damaged, even with a plastic instrument!

grunty
    Free Member

I used a wall paper steamer when I did mine a couple of weeks back. only too about 30 mins to get rid of it all.

I was a bit wary about holding the steam jet in one place for too long though in case it FIU

tinsy
    Free Member

I thought similar to simonfbarnes, but maybe just drag it outside and use the hose, no mess inside then.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hairdryer for me, sorts it out pretty quick, and no need to get the hairdryer into the wet area, just lob a towel at the bottom to catch it all.

Put your frozen food in the bath with a sleeping bag or duvet over it, no problems.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Put all your food under a sleeping bag or duvet. It will last for a couple of hours or more.

C

BigJohn

Same way as Keith. Drag it into the yard and hose it. Wipe it down and re-stock it. About 30 mins total.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Drag it into the yard and hose it. Wipe it down and re-stock it. About 30 mins total.

Christ, it's about 15 mins with a hairdryer!

Jamie
    Free Member

I place saucepans with boiling water in them on the shelves.

….oh and knife as i like to gamble.

scaredypants

I thought all the freon boils and the universe implods if anyone puts anything hot in a freezer ?

crikey
    Free Member

I use hot water and an axe; we get thick thick ice in our freezer.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

how about chucking lime into it, perhaps in the form of a grenade of some kind

manton69

If you can get outside easily just use a hose pipe. You can totally defrost it in a few minutes, dry it off and get it up and running before you know it.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Hairdryer and coldness, nothing better, very comforting, do it all day if i could!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

problem with moving it is that most should be left standing still for 24 hours before being switched on. This is based on last time i sold a freezer but it may not be true any more

thomthumb
    Free Member

Hairdryer and coldness, nothing better, very comforting, do it all day if i could!

ha! thats my job! 😀

bruneep

and use a plastic fish slice, not a bloody knife.

using a knife is the quickest way. Mate defrosted his using a knife and hr later he was in the shop buying a new freezer with no ice.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Sit on the floor beer in one hand hair dryer in the other takes no more than 15 mins or two cans worth

z1ppy

burneep – read above, been there done that.
    MMW I was under the impression it should be stood for 24hrs after moving too.
    That and it's a 6ft tall fridge freezer, so can't just 'pop' it outside.. hairdrier it is then.

Great response cheers.

Keef
    Free Member

you only need to leave em standing if you're a clumsy f00ker,if you keep it upright and don't chuck it about whilst moving it you're ok.

skidartist
    Free Member

how about chucking lime into it, perhaps in the form of a grenade of some kind

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but maybe just drag it outside and use the hose

that would require two other people much burlier than I 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Salt? I chuck salt into mine – then hot watter

maxray
    Free Member

Get your father in law to try it with a chisel whilst you are on holiday in Canada.. then return to a brand new fridge freezer .. .shimples!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Defrosting the freezer (quickly?)’ is closed to new replies.