Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 172 total)
  • Defender 110, Ugly or elegant?
  • ivantate
    Free Member

LandRovers are still a bit of a lifestyle choice unless you use it properly. Nothing wrong with it as they are practical, depreciation proof, UK built, have a ‘good’ image (not X5 territory anyway). Just expect niggly faults, corrosion, people wanting to borrow it etc… .

I dont think your missus will enjoy driving it but it seems like you may have already decided. Buy as late as you can, the later 2.4s had a few teething problems.

Oh, and dont get a ‘One Life Live It’ sticker and travel around at 50mph on motorways in a vehicle that has never left tarmac.

If you want ugly and slow you really should have one of these,

Its a Pinzgauer, not usually seen stuck but it does happen occasionally.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

land rover owners international, mat

there all **** there 😉

by the way; you will find a difference between your BM and the defender – the later has a stalk on the right hand side of the steering column for “indicators”.
    i understand that they are seldom chosen optional extras on a BM.

Nice book by the way; i think an early xmas pressie for mini FG

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Off to get myself banned.

How about:

STEP ASIDE EVERYONE SURF MATT IS HERE WITH THE MOST AWESOME DEFENDER EVER! OH AND I HAVE A 335D TOO!

As an opening thread?

Farmer – indicators? Care to explain what they are for? 😉

Ivan – the missus took her test in a 90 and was the one that wanted one most. She did the negotiating and it will be in her name. The BM is officially “my” car but we share them equally. She loves Landies!

ivantate
    Free Member

To get the most awesome Defender ever a good start would be the 335 engine……..

Have you chopped in the Jimny for the Defender?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

ivan – yep.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

Ivantate – the most awesome defender ever would start with a 5 litre supercharged v8 – that what j e engineering did to get a 460 bhp toy!

if i was in that territory i would have a bowler/qt wildcat personally

nice pitz. btw.
    any unimog pictures anyone?

ivantate
    Free Member

Cant fit a Mog in the garage, we got the Pinz after starting with Haflingers.

Have a look on Youtube for Mogs, I cant remember what it is called (ultimate Unimog or similar) but there is a 404 in the states fitted with a massive V8 and thraped mercilessly for the video camera.

psling
    Free Member

i would have a bowler/qt wildcat personally

[blows trumpet] I delivered the rolling chassis to Drew Bowler for the 2nd comp-safari conversion he did and used to race in comp safaris against Dave [QT] when he was still a fireman 😀 [/blows trumpet]

farmer-giles
    Free Member

ivan – are the flingers all 6×6?

cranberry
    Free Member

there all **** there

So *that’s* why I feel so at home there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mol – you basically called most Defender drivers ****…

Prius drivers get called far worse. Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol -hang on, you moaned saying I insult other car drivers (which I don’t) having just called Defender drivers ****.

Look up the word “hypocrite” and return with your findings.

Bowlers are soooo cool but maybe a bit impractical?!

molgrips
    Free Member

You randomly insult people’s actual cars and them by implication, but it seems to be based on just the fact that you don’t like the cars concerned.

Defenders are environmentally damaging and should not be used where they are not needed. So there’s an actual reason there.

Perhaps **** was too strong, but I struggle to see the appeal of wanting to show everyone what a polluting car you drive?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Defenders are environmentally damaging and should not be used where they are not needed. So there’s an actual reason there.

So is any car/bike/person/rabbit/coffee maker.

I shall let the millions of Defender owners know how naughty they are. I shall then suggest they all buy a Pious and suggest they sod off when question what happens if they get stuck.

Mol – you really give your cars a bad name on here as well as other Forums… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Now this is the thing. Your points make no sense.

Some cars are more environmentally damaging than others. Is this not obvious?

Some Defender drivers need them as a tool, so a Prius would not work. Obviously I’m not suggesting any farmer trade in their defender.

Buying a defender and driving it around instead of a normal car is not responsible, and has negative consequences. More so than a normal car.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol if my points make no sense to you then you are not only all too often a sanctimonious, bleating PITA, you are also rather thick.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not thick and you know it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Calling someone sanctimonious is what people do when they don’t like being called up on their irresponsibility.

And with that I’m out of this thread so save it.

beamers

Now that you two have finished lets get back to Land Rovers shall we:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtgvu8gTaQY[/video]

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Leaf Spingtastic

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwlALeoBOKU[/video]

Kuco

Landys are noisy, uncomfortable, basic, cramp, cold, damp, leaking, draughty, but are great work vehicles.

Though I’m stuck with a shite L200 😥

timber

Mat – Buryas Bridge were good for what Riders couldn’t warranty for my old employer, Mid Cornwall 4×4 keep the Imerys LR’s moving, my mate works in the pits, their LR’s do little mileage, but it is tough miles with some very brave/stupid drivers

Found this on the phone of my work one;

Always had Land Rovers as work vehicles, best way really as it meant I didn’t have to concur the costs. Nothing else would’ve done what they did for as long as they did. L200 was scrap 3 months after it was registered.

Including, but not limited to;
    90 300tdi
    Disco diesels, series 1-3, generally re-mapped for towing power, Riders (dealership) very understanding but dreaded seeing them for service, some very big hard miles.
    130 TD5
    130 TDCi

I found that the lag wasn’t as bad on later TD5’s either, early ones were glacial to respond towing out of junctions though.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

the OP has totally disappeared?
    i think the general STW consensus is that LR are very acceptable (apart from Molgrips) even though he does not appreciate that approx 70% of all Land Rovers built since 1948 are still running, and as the biggest environmental impact of vehicles is their actual production then in reality they are probably one of the most greenest vehicles on (or off) the road today.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Timber – brilliant info. Thanks! Checked Riders. They have a 54k mile 56 reg 110 xs there in pretty shoddy condition for over £22k. Having searched the UK for ours, that is the most overpriced one I have seen. Puts me right off using them!

donsimon
    Free Member

Not enough photos here… Get yer bloody photos up and give me some inspiration. 🙄

A 9 seater 110 is something I’m considering for the future, if this is a thread about aesthetics, I think they look wonderful. I don’t know if you have these in the UK, but a cheaper alternative is the
    Santana Anibal

Linky.

zokes
    Free Member

@Surf-Mat

Small world – I know Veronica’s daughters – did my PhD with her eldest and worked with her youngest…

(And when I had to do some work at IGER she very kindly let me stay there)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Zokes – no way! She’s my mum’s closest friend and has been for quite some time.

Small World! Assume you are Cornwall based?

zokes
    Free Member

Nope, not in the slightest – did my PhD with Meg at Bangor, then Gen started working there. Now I’m a lot further down south than you – I’m in Adelaide. Which sort of makes it seem all the more bizarre really!

farmer-giles
    Free Member

don – you can get santanas in the uk and they are cheaper than land rovers. original santana used to assemble land rovers from kit form in spain with a few local ammendments in the seventies – not sure what the relationship is between them and LR now?
    i think santanas have independant leaf suspension like the series vehicles rather than coils of land rovers.
    timber – nice picture of the back end of a high cap

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Zokes – LOL! That’s a fair way away!

timber

Santana don’t have a good reputation here, and that is from our SHB service fitters who see a lot of 4×4 vehicles.

FG – that is of our current 130 after 8 months

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Loads if info, thanks. I need at least 7 seats though so most of the 4×4 estates are out. People carriers are out as the rear passengers are too close to the rear window. I have looked at everything, E class’, peugeot 307’s, Vitos’, Viano’s, etc, etc, etc.
    Any other ideas?

oldgit
    Free Member

Landrovers ‘proper’ are classless.
    You never know who’s behind the wheel of one, from bricky to Lord of the Manor.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Here’s ours, arrived Saturday – it’s a big old thing but we love it!

Terrible mobile phone pics:

Had lots of fun in it already – XS gets a few goodies which make it comfier – heated seats, aircon, electric windows (!), remote locking, half leather seats, blah blah blah. DREADFUL turning circle (think large yacht but worse) but apart from that, it’s brilliant! Moves well too – not quick but maintains speed fine up long road hills.

donsimon
    Free Member

AWESOME!

iDave
    Free Member

Looks good Matt – I’d risk the death of a few polar bears to have that.

alexxx
    Free Member

whats the crack with these, unless you need to go on greenlanes or around fields and across mooreland all day they are whack, i drove a brand new one 2000 miles across france and the only fun bit was 30 minutes razzing up a snow capped french volcano.. other than that the drafts of air coming in via the door and the crap brakes and industrial gearbox get a bit thin for the cost.

id rather have a 5k off road machine and a nice warm vehicle like a volvo

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We have a nice warm vehicle called a BMW.

And this has heated seats too 😉

Cheers Dave and Don!

donsimon
    Free Member

Several years ago I was lucky enough to take a Range Rover around the RR test track (Solihull, I think), if you want (truly AWESOME) off road capability, comfort, warmth and on road ability. Range Rover is the way to go. 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

Nice 110 Mat – hope you have lots of fun with it.

Alexxx – they are wonderfully imperfect – you either “get” them or you don’t. That said, the newer ones are far more comfortable/quieter.

Just a shame that they no longer have the vents on the front – taking them away is just not right*.

* makes mental note to get the vent seals replaced before winter really kicks in as a constant cool draught whilst fine in summer can grate a bit when its snowing. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘Defender 110, Ugly or elegant?’ is closed to new replies.