• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Decorating (painting) help – what have we done wrong?
  • RustySpanner

Currently painting a freshly plastered room.

The three white walls were fine.

However, after a sealing coat, we tried a few samples on the other wall before choosing a colour.
    Decision made, we painted over the samples with white – just the one coat, you could still see the sample colour underneath.

After this dried, we’ve applied two coats of the final colour, but you can still see where we tried the samples – shinier and lighter than the rest of the wall. 😐

So what the hell do we do?
    Keep applying coats until it’s finally covered?
    Give up and paint it all white?

Sample pots were Dulux – final colour is Crown, if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d say more layers.

Or leave it to dry harder then lightly sand and start again.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is this a feature wall?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I had a paint problem and emailed dulux for advice, they were outstanding. Replied with an answer to my question which was what I had hoped they would do but also chucked in a voucher for another 5litres of paint to allow me to finish the job properly.

Might be worth a try asking crown.

RustySpanner

Well, it’s a feature of the room, DD – it keeps the ceiling off the floor. 🙂

I’ve gone all 70’s:
    The colour is called Easy Peasy – never buy paint when you’re hungry. 😀
    This is my indoor mancave – I got to pick the colour.
    The responsibility nearly killed me. 🙂

Blue? Bit cold.
    Yellow? Looks like a nursery.
    Red/Purplish? Tart’s handbag.
    All white? Bit clinical – didn’t want a shiny, bright wall behind the telly.

At my folks place 40 years ago we had two orange walls, one green and one purple.
    It was like living in a kaleidoscope.
    No wonder acid was more popular back then.

muppetWrangler, might just give that a try.
    Thanks.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I bet the test samples were satin finish or visa versa and that’s what’s caused change on plastered surface. Good luck to you sanding it back or paint entire wall in same finish as test sample then re paint in colour you want!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If it’s a feature wall, I refuse to even countenance helping you.

In fact, you’re (almost) dead to me now Rusty. 🙁

(To be fair, WruppetMangler’s suggestion of asking the paint company is probably the best one.) 😉

joat

After making this error myself, I now paint a piece of liner paper and tape it to the wall. I know this doesn’t help OP but is worth bearing in mind for the future. In the meantime try using a razor blade scraper to take off any high spots and sand a large area around the sample to try and blend in the edges like spraying a damaged car panel.

flip456
    Free Member

Did you use the brush in the tester pots and then roller the entire wall with choosen colour, if so, it could be the texture of the brush marks showing through. I’d definately rub it down with some 120 grit paper and re coat.

RustySpanner

flip456 – Member

Did you use the brush in the tester pots and then roller the entire wall with choosen colour

Yep.

Suggsey – Member

I bet the test samples were satin finish or visa versa and that’s what’s caused change on plastered surface.
    Hadn’t thought of that – will pop out and have a rummage in the bin.

It’s had another coat and looks a lot better, but I’ll still try a bit of sanding tomorrow.

Luckily we only painted small areas with the samples.

deadlydarcy – Member

If it’s a feature wall, I refuse to even countenance helping you.

So one coloured wall is a crime now is it?
    Bloody racists. 🙂

On a scale of one to naff, how naff is it?
    Gnomes?
    BMW X5?
    Sandals ‘n’ socks?
    Union Flag scatter cushions?
    Forks on back to front?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a Gnome, wearing sandals and socks, driving a BMW X5, with stick on engerland flags during the World Cup, with his Carrera TdF bike with back to front forks, on a hatch mounted bike carrier covering his number plate. 😐

Next thing you’ll be doing something even naffer like putting down a timber floor in there. 🙂

BigJohn

What did you do wrong? You used cheap paint by the sound of it. I only use Dulux Trade. It’s smashing stuff.

Solo
    Free Member

Next thing you’ll be doing something even naffer like putting down a timber floor in there.

Hhmmmm. I wonder who might be able to help with that…
    🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Decorating (painting) help – what have we done wrong?’ is closed to new replies.