Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • decking wood preserver? oil? stain?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

Hi, I am building a wooden decking and I kinda figured out all that I need but this? I am a bit confused which to apply in the wood… or what to apply first.. or is THIS all I need?

thanks

footflaps

Either decking oil or decking stain, they both do the same job.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Thanks dude, gonna start project tomorrow

stumpyjon

From bitter personal experience id avoid the stain, it flakes making it difficult to recoat the following year. The oil fades rather than so you can slap another coat on and not get a mottled finish. Alternatively provided it’s treated timber you could leave it unstained and let it weather naturally.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Liberon decking oil, and a big roller. Best of stuff, and easily applied.

midlifecrashes

There was a thread a while back, plenty of good things said about Liberon Oil from Screwfix. I’ve just put a load on my 5 year old deck which I stripped back with the jetwash, I’m quite impressed. Whatever you put on will change the colour more than you think, and if your boards are grooved, you will get much reduced coverage.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Is oil can also be used sawn edge?

Decking wood is premium pine treated from wickes

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I asked this very same question a few weeks ago and the response was firmly in support of the Liberon oil from Screwfix.

Previously i had trusted a brand that ‘does what it says on the tin’. It was a tin of stain and after 12 months it looked dreadful. Flaked off very easily.

This time i have gone for the Liberon oil from Screwfix. It is more expensive (5 litres cost about £40) and depending on what colour you want then you need to order on line for next day collection. Obviously i wont know for at least 12 months whether the extra cash is worth it but it did go on easily and looks superb.

With regard to sawn edges they did soak up the oil a lot and were very slow to coat in comparison with the other surfaces. That said i guess the problem will be the same irrespective of the product applied.

Its probably also worth noting that the colour on the swatch on the side of tin is nothing like the real colour! I went for medium oak which looked quite orangy on the swatch but thankfully was a decent brown colour in real life.

I also used 2 coats on the vertical stuff but 3 coats on the actual decking. Hopefully that will help next winter.

Happy painting!

wittonweavers
    Free Member

This is ‘Medium Oak’….

wolfenstein
    Free Member

@witton .. Thanks dude for a very comprehensive reply and the picture, i will be getting that liberon oil, i think that is the colour i am after as well. 🙂 happy bunny here

GTDave
    Free Member

I have found Barrettine decking oil to be just as good as Liberon, only much kinder to the wallet at £25 per 5l.

From here:
    http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/decking-oil

wittonweavers
    Free Member

No worries Wolfenstein. Its probably also worth mentioning that with the oil, you dont need to wait for each coat to dry. Just give it 20 minutes and then reapply. The second coats go on so much faster as well.

granny_ring

Another Liberon vote here, need to redo mine this year.

tymbian
    Free Member

Osmo decking oils or stains..Natural product and allows the wood to ‘breath’….

How old is your decking? if you haven’t bought it yet I’d wait for the rationalisation to die down/ weather out before oiling…

tymbian
    Free Member

I mean tanalising…not rationalisation. .

mark90
    Free Member

I’m getting pressure treated, tanalised? softwood decking fitted in a few weeks time. How long before oiling? Looking at using one of the oils recommend above, probably clear. Anything else to do before oiling?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

This is the stuff you want

http://youtu.be/E-bnhrFnVcY

stumpyjon
    tymbian
    Free Member

Mark90. ..a pressure treated deck I fitted for someone last year will be getting an oil this year…

redstripe
    Free Member

Don’t put it in, lethal stuff decking whatever you try and treat it with (tried all sorts), seen so many slipping over injuries due to the stuff where I worked for many years and 9 months later I’ve still got a knackered ankle because of this 1990’s groundforce spawn of the devil evil material. Nearly as bad as bouncy castles in a list of hated things

boblo
    Free Member

Hijack!!

OK, what do I use to treat outdoors wooden furniture please? (apart from a liberal application of the wife 🙂 )

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

liberon furniture oil on the restexpress site.

mark90
    Free Member

Thanks tymbian, I like the sound of a job I can put off for 12 months 😀

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Another decking question, We bought a house 3 years ago and haven’t treated the decking yet. How best to clean it up before applying the preserver/oil? Pressure washer?

redstripe
    Free Member

^ rip it out and burn the evil stuff

tymbian
    Free Member

pressure washer will be ok but turn the pressure down or don’t hold too close. Use the pressure washer as if you were spraying paint..ie. spray whilst moving, release trigger (stop spraying), change direction, squeeze trigger. this will give you an even clean. You could use a decking cleaner, brush on (yard brush) then wash off as above.
    Osmo slip resistant decking oil is fantastic stuff. Stir well and apply. it’s got like very small grains of sand in the oil so that when dry the deck surface feels a bit like a fine sand-paper and is non slip. (obviously not when covered with snow & ice in winter).

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘decking wood preserver? oil? stain?’ is closed to new replies.