Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Decking paint/stain/oil WWSTWD?
  • Premier Icon midlifecrashes

Decking

I’ve got most of the muck off now and ready to put some stuff on it. Ronseal decking oil in Natural has been my previous choice. Anything better? The deck has been in about 12 years and no real rot so far, just a couple of patches of woodlice damage under the biggest plant tubs.

Premier Icon andy4d

I had been using Ronseal decking oil too for years with no issues. Tried screwfix no nonsense last time which seemed fine to but I dont think it lasted quite as long between coats. My take is, if i have the money just get the Ronseal, if i need to save a few quid get the screwfix version. Both seem to work fine.

Premier Icon Freester
    Free Member

Question gets asked every year. The year I asked the answer was to treat decking with ‘disdain’ 😛

For the last 5 years I used the Screwfix version. Last year however during lockdown I was unable to get hold of the Screwfix or Ronson stuff and found some of this Decking Oil from Rye Oil in Kent.

It’s cheaper than even the Screwfix stuff. It’s different – it feels like it really soaks in, and it does sweat out a bit initially when it gets warm – they recommend mop up any pooling with a rag. But it’s lasted really well and I’m going to treat with the same this year. Ordered on Friday it arrived yesterday. I’ve also gone with their decking cleaner this year as well, but can’t report back on that yet as it’s my first time using it.

Premier Icon sadexpunk

think barretines was well recommended on here a few years ago, a good combination of quality and price.

did our gazebo and decking with it and was happy with it, lasted a good couple of years. timely reminder that ill need to order some more for this years coat.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

I use the Ronseal stuff and like it – it gives a nice matte patina and is very grippy too (we have plain planed wood, not the grooved stuff – SO much easier to brush the sealant on!!!)

Premier Icon stumpyjon

I’ve been using Liberon Decking oil from these guys

https://restexpress.co.uk/View/20528/liberon-decking-oil-5l

Seems to work a lot better than the stains which flake leaving it patchy. Mines’ due a reboarding, 15 years old, a couple of planks have rotted, hoping my Victorian engineering approach to joists means there is still life left in the structure.

Premier Icon fossy

I bought 25l of the Rye Oils stuff a few weeks ago. Only £65 delivered. It goes on fast and soaks in well.

Stick with oil as it lasts better, and doesn’t flake and look tatty.

Premier Icon hairychainsaw

I went into B&Q and an assistant asked me if I wanted decking. So I got mine in first

Premier Icon fossy

I meant to add I did the decking outside the shed office whilst in a Teams meeting – just turned off the camera and mic – the laptop followed me round !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.