Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • decking on flat roof, EPDM and floating wooden deck – advise please
  • rockhopperbike

So,
    the garden room I am currently building lends itself to being a good spot for a sun terrace – 7 m* 3m – I have built the frame in a combination of 3×2″ and 6×2″ c24 grade so it has plenty of load capacity- I am erring towards and EPDM roof with a simple framed wooden deck laid on top – anyone got experience of this and has any tips?

stevextc
    Free Member

I put it on the shed roof …
    Super easy and will probably outlive me. Measure 3x cut once…. leave loads of overlap and obviously some slope to drain.

I need to redo the garage/utility room roof and will be going for EPDM.

surfer
    Free Member

I used it on this. Dead easy to lay (did it single handed) just make sure you put a lot of glue down. Happy with mine but did notice a couple of edge areas that were not totally adhered. Pleased though.

5lab

if you’re building on top of the shed roof, I think you’ll need planning. raised outdoor flooring is generally restricted due to being a bit cr*p for neighbours. Might not be the case for you mind.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

EPDM is great, a bit pricy but really good stuff. I put some 1.5mm on the roof of the cabin which is underneath a big oak. I have seen branches drop 30 or 40 feet land end on and just bounce off without damage. Helps having big rafters and 18mm ply underneath I guess but no tears, snags or issues.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Turns out is was OSB, not ply but it worked.

Step 1 Lay out the rubber to un crease

Step 2 Roll it back and glue it to the roof

Step three brush it down against the glue to remove as many creases and bubbles as you can

EDPM rested on the roof one day and fully fitted the next

luket

We have something similar as part of our house. Single ply flat roof membrane. Terrace frame just sits on top. watch out for any point loads or potential movement damaging the membrane – we cut extra bits of membrane to sit under the load bearing feet we have, and we made them height adjustable. But our frame is steel.

Also, consider whether you need to access to clean the membrane every now and then. Or fish out the bits of Lego that have fallen between the decking boards.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Pretty sure 5lab is right…. Planning required and I’d imagine could be knocked back if you have neighbours.
    A more stealthy way would simply to put these tiles down

https://www.ecotileflooring.com/product/lifestyle-outdoor-flooring/

We’ve had them on a balcony for about 10 years and they still look like new. Light, strong and allow the rain to sit below the surface so even if you have puddles it shouldn’t affect its use (unless you have a very badly laid roof).
    Fitted in minutes as they click together and easily lifted if required. Never had any movement even with the strongest of storms in an exposed coastal location.

being a bit cr*p for neighbours.

Don’t forget the falling off issue if you don’t have balustrades.

rockhopperbike

Cheers all,
    some good ideas – think the EPDM is definite the way to go, and liking those roof tile things @sharkbait. next job – start emailing council about permission – shouldn’t be too big a deal in our place I reckon……

trail_rat
    Free Member

being a bit cr*p for neighbours.

Don’t forget the falling off issue if you don’t have balustrades.

Even if you don’t need planning(don’t see why you wouldn’t) due to height building standards apply.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘decking on flat roof, EPDM and floating wooden deck – advise please’ is closed to new replies.