Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Decisions – which upgrade?
  • bgd
    Free Member

It’s not often that I have a decent amount of cash to be able to treat my bike to a nice upgrade so really want to get this decision right.
    For a while my Avid Elixirs have been annoying me, no matter how much I adjust them, bleed or clean them they’ll start rubbing and howling during a ride and the process starts all over again.
    So I’d been looking at changing the Avids for some Shimano SLX or Hope X2’s from Merlin. Really torn between the two – head says Shimano, heart says Hope but kind of finally decided on the Shimano until someone suggested I get a Reverb!
    A few of the guys I’ve recently started riding with swear by them and now I’m torn. Do I get the brakes that will hopefully help my sanity or put up with fettling what I’ve got and get the Reverb which could help improve my riding? Which ever I choose will be the last treat I can afford for a while.
    I know I should be able to make my own mind up but never have been able to make a decision. Any (helpful) suggestions are most welcome 😛

wrecker
    Free Member

What’s your budget?

bgd
    Free Member

£250 ish

wwaswas

Get some of the Magura MT4s that on-one are doing cheap.

wrecker
    Free Member

£280 would get you a reverb and slx brakes from bike24.de
    The answer is both, obviously.

Rosss
    Free Member

As above go german get both and then sell your elixirs on here to get a percentage back.

bgd
    Free Member

Ooh, nice one.. That’s made my afternoon. Cheers guys.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What they said, german sites are doind dhaimno brakes for only a little over £100 the pair and swaping hoses is a 5 min job (best to buy soem fluid and a bleed funnel just in case). And re-use your rotors.

simonm
    Free Member

your mind is right…stick with Shimano, SLX or XT.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wonder what’s up with your Elixirs? Have two sets on two different bikes, and Juicy’s on another bike. Give them the occasional clean and bleed, but other than that I’ve never had any problems with any of them. This seems to put me in the minority on here!

Not wanting to cast aspersions, but do you know what you are doing with brake setup?

Anyway if you’re set on dumping the Elixirs then, as everyone else has said, get both.

bgd
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity how long do these Germany sites take to deliver?

wrecker
    Free Member

You’re welcome bgd. Enjoy.
    I have XT brakes and they are brilliant and I wouldn’t be without my reverb now I’ve learnt how to use it properly.

Rosss
    Free Member

I ordered Saturday night with Bike discount. de and it was here tuesday.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

doind dhaimno

my ‘d’ key is clearly fubar!

IME the german sites are on a par with CRC, maybe a day later if CRC’s being quick.

mattjg
    Free Member

For 250 quid the upgrade is to build a bike from classifieds to fill any hole in your collection.

bgd
    Free Member

Plenty of holes but much easier to get some brakes and a seat post past the Mrs than a whole bike 😕

nigelb001
    Free Member

Go for Hope Tech Evo M4 front and X2 on rear from Merlin. I did recently on my Anthem X – excellent brakes, I’ll never need better (if that’s possible). However they can be a little awkward to use with some shifters due to their construction. I used the Hope XT shifter mounts which mounts shifters on the brake lever clamps. A very elegant and weight saving solution.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Decisions – which upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.